Breed of dog

Help Support CattleToday:

For a "kid dog" you cant beat a lab. the end. but if you insist on getting something else, how about a bassett hound or a weimereiner?

I remember the dogs we had when I was a kid. What we thought was fun, was not what the dog had in mind. Jumping out of the hayloft onto some hay was a bit more than he planned. He made it through the first jump, but refused to let me take him back up. I reached down to carry him back up the ladder, and he latched on to my hand to the point that he could have lead me back to the house bent over. I had purple teeth marks for a while. :cry: He soon learned that he better bite first before he found out what we (three of us) had in mind. I deserved every (many) bite he gave me. He was a Dashound and he lived to be 17 years old. Children can turn a gentle dog into a psychotic dog. I would get them a dog that could run faster and one that was too heavy to pick up. Just from experience that is! :oops:

Chuckie":2xciospe said:
I remember the dogs we had when I was a kid. What we thought was fun, was not what the dog had in mind. Jumping out of the hayloft onto some hay was a bit more than he planned. He made it through the first jump, but refused to let me take him back up. I reached down to carry him back up the ladder, and he latched on to my hand to the point that he could have lead me back to the house bent over. I had purple teeth marks for a while. :cry: He soon learned that he better bite first before he found out what we (three of us) had in mind. I deserved every (many) bite he gave me. He was a Dashound and he lived to be 17 years old. Children can turn a gentle dog into a psychotic dog. I would get them a dog that could run faster and one that was too heavy to pick up. Just from experience that is! :oops:
Chuckie
Good post. We as humans have to ralize that pets are just that; pets.
They should be treated with respect and not forced to do thngs that you wouldn't force your children to do Just Because you Could
From what you said here you deserved everything your dog gave you and probaly more. Thank God he respected you more than you respected him.

Maybe Chuckie is an apt name! (Just Kidding)

We have a Samoyed, and she is the best behaved dog in every category that we've ever had. Loves kids, doesn't bark excessively, doesn't fret about being confined when she has to be. Nevertheless, my favorite is a boxer. Daschunds are the worst I've ever seen about standing in the middle of a road with no clue of what could happen to them.

I had a border collie/mut that was the best as a kid. I could make her do anything. even things she knew she wasn't suppose to do like follow my little bare feet inside the grocery store/ gas station. I also pretended she was my motorcycle and twisted her ears like a throttle. Poor Tina, best dog ever.

la4angus, I think it had to do a lot with the fact that Dad liked the dog best! :lol: The dog got to go everywhere he went, and he made us stay home. He also would let the dog sit in the chair with him, and got to ride the tractor with him too when I was younger. He was most definitely the favorite child. But yes, I deserved everything he did to me. I now watch children that don't realize that a dog is a dog. I think children should be raised around some kind of animal and treat it kindly. It teaches them a lot. They do need supervision too. When you start putting the hurt on the dog, he will retaliate. If he was just a mean biter, then I wouldn't have him around.
Greenwillowherefords, that is exactly what happened to old Charley. But I think his problem had to do more with the fact that he wasn't fast enough, his hearing was leaving him as well as his eyesight.

Actually, my best dog ever was a boxer/pit bull mix. The boxer tamed the pit side, and the dog was loyal and good. He was a fighter when it came to neighbor dogs, and I must confess in my younger days, I was not above enjoying a good contest so long as nobody got seriously hurt. The doberman female across the road tried to attack me once, and ole JimBob took her on to protect me. His ears were not trimmed, but he did have a stub tail, he was black with a white chest, paws, and white streak down his forehead and nose.

Boxer for me.....

He was a bit of a rough nuts, but gentle with the kids and an excellent guard dog. Our two pet goats used to hide behind him when they were nervous and the cows got well along with him as well.
Unfortunately he got done by a red belly black snake last christmas.

JJ

we had a 1/2 blue/ 1/2red healer. Loved that dog. She was too friendly, she would come up to anybody, landed her in the pound more than once.
After a year or so of spending most afternoons at the park down the road the city workers quit picking her up and let her be.

We have a Red Heeler cross from a local pound that is great with my kids. Loves to wrestle with my 3 year old.

Tod Dague":3cmtonu0 said:
We have a Red Heeler cross from a local pound that is great with my kids. Loves to wrestle with my 3 year old.
Can you blame him. Those three year old giggles are sooo infectious.

I have three Labradors and one border collie/aussie/blue heeler/who knows what cross. The Labs are my favorites - multi purpose dawgs. Mine do about everything with me. They check fences with me, follow me on trail rides with the horses, come duck huntin' in the fall and pick up my ducks...shucks, I even harness those dogs up and have them pull hay out to the horses. I don't have that many horses and cows so it's not that much hay to move, and the dogs actually like the job. =)

True, Labs are hard to beat. i wouldnt mind having a german shorthair one day though.

We have 3 rescued dogs:

Siberian Husky (F) Spayed
Black Lab (F) Spayed
Tan Pit Bull/Terrier Mix (M) Neutered

Kept in their own pens & grassy runs. Take them for walks down our cattle alleys occasionally. None are willing to get too close to the Longhorns and Longhorns will come to fence and shake their horns at them.

Friend one of the best dogs you can have for the kids is a beagle.. there small well tempered and they won't chase cows...

If your interested in a beagle let me know and I'll put you in contact with a breeder where you live...

Yours in Sport Georgia Beagler I mean Georgia Beef

Okay, I will probably come across pretty strange on this, but...who cares?
Does anyone else have a preference in canines according to their "music" or "sound"? What I mean is, my little blue heeler/australian shep mix is a GREAT dog, but when she howls, I holler at her to quit, cause she can't carry a tune! Our great pyrenees have deep and muffled sounds and when I hear them "sing" (which isn't often--they bark in the night but usually away from the house) when I hearthem sing--I don't mind, and acutually like the sound of them.

I think beagles are great dogs, but not my kind of "music"

fellersbarnoneranch":xhpwpc5w said:
I think beagles are great dogs, but not my kind of "music"

Back in my Field Trial days I a a little bitch that was a great dog, but she had a squeel mouth that made finger nails on a blackboard sound beautiful. Had another that had a deep chop mouth that was all out of proportion to her size. That was music to my ears. But I've alwasy enjoyed "hound music". It's right up there with a Flatt and Scruggs, Ed Bruce Hnak Thompson, and Ann Murray.

dun

Latest posts