breed calf to young

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":3j05ysx0 said:
hillsdown":3j05ysx0 said:
Get your lut or estrumate and give her 2 cc's

2cc's pf ;ute you might as well just squirt it in the air. The dose for cattle is 5 cc's

Might want to have another look at your bottle>>>>>>> Dosage ; for therapeutic indications or controlled bleeding-2ml ; for abortion 1.5 ml (2ml for animals over 455kg).

I think 2 ml's will be sufficient ...with the price of meds and the fact that here estrumate works out to be about 12 bucks a cc you get to know the exact amount to be used pretty quick..

mbangus ,the only reason to let them calve at such a young age is if you neglected to do something or completely missed the boat.
You are fortunate that your girls are OK and have good calves,,however you are the exception NOT the rule....plus they probably are 1/2 brother and sister..It is not worth the risk..

hillsdown":1v5obkw8 said:
dun":1v5obkw8 said:
hillsdown":1v5obkw8 said:
Get your lut or estrumate and give her 2 cc's

2cc's pf ;ute you might as well just squirt it in the air. The dose for cattle is 5 cc's

Might want to have another look at your bottle>>>>>>> Dosage ; for therapeutic indications or controlled bleeding-2ml ; for abortion 1.5 ml (2ml for animals over 455kg).

I think 2 ml's will be sufficient ...with the price of meds and the fact that here estrumate works out to be about 12 bucks a cc you get to know the exact amount to be used pretty quick..

Lutelyse runs a buck a cc at most, sometimes less, and that includes the syringe and needle.
Estrumate and lute must have different dosages. Lute says 5 cc, GnRH is 2 ccs
From the Lutelyse website:
Dosage/Administration

Effective in animals having a functional corpus luteum in the following applications:

For estrus synchronization, inject 5 mL LUTALYSE intramuscularly (IM) either once or twice at 10- to 12-day intervals.

For treatment of unobserved estrus, inject a 5 mL dose IM. If estrus has not been observed by 80 hours after injection, breed at 80 hours; if the cow returns to estrus, breed at the usual time relative to estrus.

For termination of pregnancy, inject a 5mL dose IM.

For postpartum treatment of pyometra, inject a dose of 5 mL IM at signs of pyometra (presence of a corpus luteum on the ovary and uterine horns containing fluid but not a conceptus based on palpation).

KNERSIE":2du2pzn9 said:
The dose of Estrumate is 2cc IM, Lutalyse 5cc IM and Fertagyl (GNRH) 2.5cc

Quit using Fertagyl a couple years ago. We use Ovasync

Sorry, I thought my original post said estrumate 2cc's,,should have been more specific..

I wish we had your drug prices in Canada , the last 50 ml bottle of estrumate I bought cost $225.00 and that was with the 15 percent off. Drug prices have come down a bit here now, Calf Span boluses used to be 4.25 each and are now just under 2 dollars...you would think with our dollars being the same the prices would reflect as such.. :roll:

Dun what is the price of Ovasync per dosage ?

hillsdown":j9t1d0qa said:
Dun what is the price of Ovasync per dosage ?

That's the pricey one, 6 bucks. I don;t know about quantity pricing per ml. We use the stuff so seldom it's a lot eaiser to just run by the vets office and pick it up as it's needed.

mbangus":1dwcscix said:
the vet to preg test her.

If she is bred, she hasn't been bred long enough for the vet to preg test. The original poster stated that a bull calf had been sniffing around this heifer on June 16.

why does every body think its wrong to let her calf out.

Because it can be a train wreck waiting to happen, and can cost a producer some very promising heifers. We never aborted early bred heifers, but we also had low birth weight bulls and handled the "high school girls" in a way that supported their continuing development while also allowing them to raise their calves.

so HILLSDOWN i neglect my cattle do I gee thanks by the way were running close to 600 head there must be something iam doing right just a thought though.

hillsdown":1rtwycn4 said:
mbangus ,the only reason to let them calve at such a young age is if you neglected to do something or completely missed the boat. You are fortunate that your girls are OK and have good calves,,however you are the exception NOT the rule....plus they probably are 1/2 brother and sister..It is not worth the risk..

Feeling a little hostile tonight, eh hillsdown? :p :lol:

Just bought lutalyse $20.00 /30 cc , $3.30 a 5 cc dose. Ovacyst [gnrh]was $18.00 for 12 cc, $3.00 a 2 cc dose.

mbangus":1fr0rc49 said:
so HILLSDOWN i neglect my cattle do I gee thanks by the way were running close to 600 head there must be something iam doing right just a thought though.
If you're running that many cattle and have been doing it very long you should have been exposed to just about everything by now....give the shot..abort the calf and give the young heifer time to grow up. Then put together a program to keep bulls away from heifers that age in the future. Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.

its not my hfr that there talking about i just said that it s not the end of the world to let them calf out and it can be be done with proper care Hfrs that calf out can and will go on tto be productive cows ( by the way our 3 calves that i listed were still nursing on their mothers when they got bred)

mbangus":75o8dqnn said:
its not my hfr that there talking about i just said that it s not the end of the world to let them calf out and it can be be done with proper care Hfrs that calf out can and will go on tto be productive cows ( by the way our 3 calves that i listed were still nursing on their mothers when they got bred)

All I can say is "you're extremely lucky".

Hi every one sorry I have not replied I been on vacation and did not take my computer LOL. WOW I guest I ask another stupid question I need to go back and check how many I asked I guest these things only happen to me?? some day I will be smart as those! But for those of you who took the time to give me good advise thank you very much.

M.Sarria":2mw00h29 said:
Hi every one sorry I have not replied I been on vacation and did not take my computer LOL. WOW I guest I ask another stupid question I need to go back and check how many I asked I guest these things only happen to me?? some day I will be smart as those! But for those of you who took the time to give me good advise thank you very much.
No, these things don't only happen to you M.S ~ is why I said it is standard procedure for many to give lute at weaning. Just in case ~ yes?

What did you decide to do?

Thank you Angie for taking the time to reply on my question. I am with you the vet is coming out and give her a shot.

M S: You don't need to pay the vet a trip fee to get this done, give the shot yourself. Get the lutalyse from him and save the money.

OOOOO the guy that "AI" my cows in the past told me only a VET can do that!!!!!! I gest I will have to ask the vet about that but hopfully this will be the last time I needed it. Thanks for the info.

KMacGinley":3d9hlfa2 said:
M S: You don't need to pay the vet a trip fee to get this done, give the shot yourself. Get the lutalyse from him and save the money.

You can only buy Lutalyse from a vet, but you don't have to be a vet to administer it. Be careful about getting Lute on your skin, esp if you're a woman or have asthema.

Latest posts