breed calf to young

Help Support CattleToday:

M.Sarria

Reaction score
Need some advise I have a heifer calf that was born on 12/6/07 so she is going on 7 month now we think a bull got to her? the VET said he can give her a shot that will make her abort so question is is that shot bad will it harm her I no that being breed is bad to so should i give her the shot any way???? :(

How long ago was she with the bull? if it is within 60 days or so, yes you can give her the shot without any concern of harming her. I'd be reluctant to give Lutalyse (or Estrumate) over 60-70 days as I saw a cow with a torn cervix because she'd been given Lute around 90 days of pregnancy.

You know, you could have asked the vet that question.

M.Sarria":1fod9n5p said:
Need some advise I have a heifer calf that was born on 12/6/07 so she is going on 7 month now we think a bull got to her? the VET said he can give her a shot that will make her abort so question is is that shot bad will it harm her I no that being breed is bad to so should i give her the shot any way???? :(

If she were my heifer, I would be evaluating a few things before deciding whether to abort the calf or not.

#1 - What does this heifer look like? Is she big and growthy, or a smaller heifer? Is she an easy keeper?

#2 - How long ago was she exposed to this particular bull? I'm not sure I would be willing to abort at even 60 days bred, but that is just me.

#3 - Are you in a position to watch her and provide assistance, if necessary, at birth?

#4 - Are you able to provide her with the necessary feed to allow her to continue to develop while she is supporting this calf?

#5 - What does the bull look like? Have you seen any of his calves? If so, what do they look like? Do you have any idea of the rate of calving problems from this particular bull?

#6 - Are you prepared to handle the outcome if the pregnancy goes bad? By the same token, are you prepared to handle the outcome if the induced abortion goes bad?

Plenty of farmers/ranchers/whatever wean at 7 months ~ Is standard weaning age. At weaning many give a shot of lute as a preventative to their heifer calves if the calves have been exposed to a bull. I strongly recommend that you give your heifer calf the lute. JMO.

At what age do calf state having Heat? this one was born on 12/6/07 and its not a bull but a 1 year old bull calf that was snuffing her all day on 6/16/08 I thought I had 1 more month before I would have to separate them?

M.Sarria":13xv5gor said:
At what age do calf state having Heat? this one was born on 12/6/07 and its not a bull but a 1 year old bull calf that was snuffing her all day on 6/16/08 I thought I had 1 more month before I would have to separate them?

The one year old bull calf was more than likely capable of breeding her. Just wait 7 days from the observation date, and give her lutalyse. This will cause her to abort, and you shouldn't have any problems associated with it. Keep in mind, that between 1-5 days after the lute, she will be in heat again. You will have to seperate the two teenage love birds so it doesn't happen again.

msscamp":13xv5gor said:
M.Sarria":13xv5gor said:

If she were my heifer, I would be evaluating a few things before deciding whether to abort the calf or not.

#1 - What does this heifer look like? Is she big and growthy, or a smaller heifer? Is she an easy keeper?

#2 - How long ago was she exposed to this particular bull? I'm not sure I would be willing to abort at even 60 days bred, but that is just me.

#3 - Are you in a position to watch her and provide assistance, if necessary, at birth?

#4 - Are you able to provide her with the necessary feed to allow her to continue to develop while she is supporting this calf?

#5 - What does the bull look like? Have you seen any of his calves? If so, what do they look like? Do you have any idea of the rate of calving problems from this particular bull?

#6 - Are you prepared to handle the outcome if the pregnancy goes bad? By the same token, are you prepared to handle the outcome if the induced abortion goes bad?

While I agree with number 2 and 6, if this hefier can be aborted, that is what needs to happen. A heifer being bred at 7 months obviously is not ideal, and if it can be fixed, fix it. Way too many things can go wrong with thie heifer trying to have a calf at 16 months of age.

The term abort for this early in a pregnancy kind of gives the wrong impression. We're not talking a fetus yet, just a bunch of cells. All it will cause is the CL to disolve and her to slough the contents of the uterus/horns just like a normla heat ccyle. It;s the same as if implantation hasn;t occured when it should and she has a normal heat.

I would have the vet check her out, like right now and if nessasary have an ultra sound done.
I agree with MM, if she is past 60 days it is too late.
Had the same thing last year. My milk cow is stunted in size due to being bred prematurely.

We give all of our heifers a shot at weaning regardless of whether they are being retained or sent down the road. Have never had a problem.
FYI if she is bred over 90 days lutalyse will not work ,you will need to give dex with it as well.
It is highly unlikely that she was bred at 4 months, it does happen but not very often.

If you are going to give her a shot please ensure that a male handles the lutalyse .

TNMasterBeefProducer":2m73zjm2 said:
In a way I kinda feel sorry for this fella. He has either extremely bad luck or he will never figure cows out and does not need to be breeding them. Seems he post problems on here quiet frequently as of late. I attribute that to bad luck as I do not know this guys background or what not. If he is a newbie and is having this many problems perhaps he just aint cut out to be a cattleman and should sell out.
Raising cattle is not inherent knowledge. He will learn or be forced to sell, and the problem will be solved. I believe they are more inclined to learn as they are here and asking questions. I wish him/her the best of luck in the mean time.

why not preg test find out for sure and if sheis a good size let her have the calf. to all that think this guy should maybe not have cattle b/c he post a lot of problems. Isn't it better to ask a question when not sure of the answer then to guess. no question is a stupid question

mbangus":1ob7dze8 said:
to all that think this guy should maybe not have cattle b/c he post a lot of problems. Isn't it better to ask a question when not sure of the answer then to guess. no question is a stupid question

I'll second this one too

M.Sarria":19q2xuvh said:
At what age do calf state having Heat?

That is going to depend on the breed, as well as the individual calf. Big, growthy heifers tend to mature earlier than smaller heifers. There is also the factor of some breeds reaching sexual maturity earlier than others. Generally speaking, heifers don't start cycling until around 7 months of age, but we've had heifer calves start cycling at 4 months of age. Granted - it is the exception, rather than the rule but it is possible.

this one was born on 12/6/07 and its not a bull but a 1 year old bull calf that was snuffing her all day on 6/16/08 I thought I had 1 more month before I would have to separate them?

Not always, and a yearling bull is more than capable of breeding successfully. Did the bull try to mount her, or was he just sniffing? If he did mount her, did she stand still for him? If she was not in standing heat prior to you seperating them, you are probably safe and she is not bred.

Good gosh people this is not rocket science and in what way does a vet need to be called out???
Get your lut or estrumate and give her 2 cc's ,,,done deal, if she comes into heat within 72 hrs she was not bred if she doesn't come into heat she was bred and will absorb/"abort" it or she was /is too young yet to cycle...

At that age I really don't think you have anything to worry about ,highly HIGHLY unlikely she is 3 plus months pregnant...

I would do it it asap or you could ruin a perfectly good heifer...

ALSO TN isn't it better to ask and do something than to not ask and do nothing at all...
I am sure you have asked a lot of questions at one time or an other.....If you do not ask you will never learn or know..

hillsdown":2m4flu9b said:
Get your lut or estrumate and give her 2 cc's

2cc's pf ;ute you might as well just squirt it in the air. The dose for cattle is 5 cc's

hillsdown":3vvnya75 said:
Good gosh people this is not rocket science and in what way does a vet need to be called out???

I would do it it asap or you could ruin a perfectly good heifer...
I completly agree!!
Just give the heifer the shot, and be done with it.

the vet to preg test her. why does every body think its wrong to let her calf out. Our calves are born in march and we put the bulls out in june and pull them in aug. this year we calfed out 3 (high school girls as we call them around here) 1. calved on her own and is an excellent mother. #2 we had to pull but she was also bred to our heavy hitter bull (bull with the biggest bw) #3. slightly hand ass. All are feeding there calves and being great mothers The moral of the story is if u have any fert. in your herd it is going to happen why dose it have to be a bad thing?

Latest posts