Bred Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn

Reaction score
Pulled up the Sale bred heifers over the weekend. Have to keep them close and sorted for better pictures from the sale committee and videos later in the month. Just wanted to share them all AI Serviced and about half of these are AI bred based on a May preg check.. Will get a better preg check in August before the sale. Due October - Early November.. All AI Bred to Tehama Tahoe. Cleaned up with a Gavel Son..

The whole group (just 9 head)

Sydgen Fate Daughter

SS Niagara Daughter

The Rest of these are out of Walking bulls

From what I can see by the pictures, I believe the walking bull heifers are a little nicer. I remember us talking about your bulls and their calves in another post a while back.

Very nice, if we were a little closer, I'd be tempted to relieve you of a few.

The ones pictured probably are nicer than the 2 AI sired ones. But the AI sired ones are better than the ones not pictured.. (Probably)

In a perfect world I keep all the AI sired and sell the naturally sired heifers. After trying to build up numbers we are close to where we want to be so I let these two go this year. I kept just 5 heifers back, all AI sired and all nicer than anything in this pen in my opinion ( 2 - Growth Funds, 1 - Sydgen Enhance, 1- Sydgen Gavel, 1- Sydgen Fate)

The ones pictured probably are nicer than the 2 AI sired ones. But the AI sired ones are better than the ones not pictured.. (Probably)

In a perfect world I keep all the AI sired and sell the naturally sired heifers. After trying to build up numbers we are close to where we want to be so I let these two go this year. I kept just 5 heifers back, all AI sired and all nicer than anything in this pen in my opinion ( 2 - Growth Funds, 1 - Sydgen Enhance, 1- Sydgen Gavel, 1- Sydgen Fate)
What is your overall impression of the Growth Fund heifers? We are using 2 sons AI this year and one as a walking sire. We used Stock Fund AI last year and very satisfied with his calves to this point. Hoping the heifers make great cows

both the growth funds are in the keeper pen. both bred ai first service. if they are big enough they have a nice look to them. the heifers have been big enough the steers, not so much.. breed them to really big and really slick cows.. hair can be a problem from what i see. i used him last year and this year and plan to use him next year.. i dont think in my situation he is worth $40 a straw.. so i will stop there.. if he were $30 still i would keep using him.. if i sold bulls i would still use him.. might try a son.. certainly one of the better bulls here from select sires..

watch the hair and protect him on frame.. this years steers seem to have more frame than last year but i bred him to really big cows..

JS, are the heifers marketed individually and catalogued with their EPD's and pedigree? Do you anticipate the buyers to be other registered breeders? This is the direction I want to take, develop fewer bulls and carry most of my heifers through to selling PTIC, hopefully some to go to registered breeders.

Ken

ken,
this is a commercial sale. 250 to 350 bred heifers per year..
not marked individually but sold in pens of 2 to 5. these will probably sell in 3 pens of 3.
they will be broken up by either age, size, calving date, or pedigree. i see this group being split into 3 groups, 2 groups of half sisters by size, and 1 group of ai sired calves. the 2 groups of half sisters will have some ai sired and some natural serviced sired calves in each pen. all heifers should calve in 30 day window..

only had one registered breeder ever by from us there. he is turning them into recips..

Really nice looking heifers and I'm also envious of the rain that you have been getting. You are blessed!!!

Latest posts