Bred Heifer...I think

Help Support CattleToday:

Supa Dexta

Reaction score
Hello fellow Canadian, where are you located? trees look nice.

Hard to tell much from a pic alone, could be 4-6 weeks yet. She's not bagged up much yet, and normally 1st timers bag for a month or more.

I'm in NS.

Her floppy vag is just a sign that things are changing, but not of calving being real soon. I wait more for their bags to fill and get tight before watching them closer. That said they can still trick ya, and who know's how she will milk.

Some cows will swell like that and then calve quite soon, others may be swollen for a while, and others yet may swell and then subside. - but generally all the while their bags are filling. Heifers tend to take more time filling their bags then a cow.

Keep an eye out for a clear string of discharge also. And any behaviour out of the ordinary where she wants to get away by herself, or get inside.. etc. Update this thread when she does calve to let us know. But I'm guessing atleast a few weeks yet.

All bets are off with a heifer but with her back end I wouldn't think it would be to long. I just had a heifer calve with almost no bag. Heifers can be funny just keep an eye on her. Sorry I can't give you a better answer.

Oh and another thing you can keep an eye on is this ligament beside her tail. Take 2 fingers and push on it, like you were squishing a marshmellow or something. It should normally be really tight/hard feeling. As they start preparing for delivery they will generally loosen up and get elasticky and soft feeling. This will signal she is getting quite close, and preparing to make room and give birth - we call this 'dropping away'. Calf comes within the coming hours or a day tops usually. The more of them you feel, the more you'll get used to the changes you're looking for.

ligament.png

Some heifers just don't have great udders their first calf but are generally okay by the 2nd. And a lot of heifers don't fully bag (as in all teats full) until the calve. Keep a close eye on her, the mucus plug is a good indicator. Is her tail always to the side (as in the pics) or sticking out? Another clue she's close.

Latest posts