Bred heifer, gut bulge

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm voting water belly. Usually it is caused from high phosphorus levels in the feed. Maybe check your phosphorus levels of your water. Never seen it happen outside the feedlot but anything is possible.

Well if it was a water belly and he didn't call a vet for surgery it should either be dead today or very close to it.

The bulge is NOT normal, nor is it a normal pregnancy. I have seen this a few times, once or twice was edema but was across the entire belly, the second time was a hernia of the calf in the uterus. That one wasn't good.

Now I do have one question. When water belly is caused by blockage of the PENILE urethra and subsequent rupture of the urethra, where is this FEMALE's penis that it ruptured?? Think, people, think!!!

Vicky the vet":26ttyq3p said:
The bulge is NOT normal, nor is it a normal pregnancy. I have seen this a few times, once or twice was edema but was across the entire belly, the second time was a hernia of the calf in the uterus. That one wasn't good.

Now I do have one question. When water belly is caused by blockage of the PENILE urethra and subsequent rupture of the urethra, where is this FEMALE's penis that it ruptured?? Think, people, think!!!
Are you trying to tell me heifers don't get water belly? And you call yourself a vet?

Vicky the vet":2y037m2q said:

I sure hope you didn't pay to much for your learning. If you did I would demand a refund of some sort then use the money to go to a different school and learn about water belly. It will maybe stop you from making stupid comments like this last one. Water belly has several causes from different blockages of the urinary tract including the one listed however it isn't the only cause. A real vet with even limited knowledge of cattle would have know that. Think, people, think!!! More importantly Think, Vicky, think!!!

somn":qn2gasma said:
[I sure hope you didn't pay to much for your learning. If you did I would demand a refund of some sort then use the money to go to a different school and learn about water belly. It will maybe stop you from making stupid comments like this last one. Water belly has several causes from different blockages of the urinary tract including the one listed however it isn't the only cause. A real vet with even limited knowledge of cattle would have know that. Think, people, think!!! More importantly Think, Vicky, think!!!

Well, I got one heck of a lot out of it than you did, or ever will again. Just for your edification, waterbelly is caused by RUPTURE of either the bladder, ureters or the urethra from urinary calculi, not just edema. Kidneys with blockage in the renal pelvis are called hydronephrosis, a different condition. Females rarely IF EVER get water belly. In fact, I did a quick literature search, and while urinary calculi are indeed found in females, I couldn't find a case of rupture in a female bovine, as the VAST majority occur in the bladder or penile urethra. Here's a link to a quick synopsis of the condition.

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/Intervet_C ... tID=124681

I don't know who you are, but you are not either knowledgable or as experienced as you think. I pity those around you.

And with that, I am done.

Vicky
The MAJORITY of us on this board GREATLY appreciate any information that you give us. Disregard any harrassment from individuals. We know you live a busy life and don't have to contribute to our board.
Thanks from the majority of viewers.

Vicky the vet":4c41eryi said:
water belly is caused by blockage of the PENILE urethra and subsequent rupture of the urethra, where is this FEMALE's penis that it ruptured?? Think, people, think!!!
So tell me self proclaimed vet if you knew water belly can happen to either sex why this stupid comment? You were the only person that mentioned anything about a penis. Almost looks as though you thought that was the only cause of water belly.

Vicky the vet":1wu7x16r said:
waterbelly is caused by RUPTURE of either the bladder, ureters or the urethra from urinary calculi
After doing some online research to educate yourself about water belly you come back on here and make that statement. Make up your mind your almost starting to look like sir loin your starting to argue with yourself. By the way I have witnessed water belly in feedlot heifers twice in my life. All research you will find anywhere acknowledges it can happen in either sex why do they say that? Well simple because it happens. I won't charge you anything for that last bit of learning I just gave to you. Someday I might need the answer to a question I don't know anything about. However considering the knowledge you showed me on the water belly. I might just wing it and shoot from the hip. My chances for a proper diagnosis appear like they would be as good as your chances.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3qyim573 said:
Vicky
The MAJORITY of us on this board GREATLY appreciate any information that you give us. Disregard any harrassment from individuals. We know you live a busy life and don't have to contribute to our board.
Thanks from the majority of viewers.
You call it harrassment I call it setting the record straight. A self proclaimed vet comes here and makes the comment that water belly is caused by the rupture of the penile urethra. And then makes a sarcastic comment asking where is the female's penis? If anyone more importantly a vet comes on a Q&A board and makes a stupid statement such as that they need to be corrected. Lack of education on a subject is no reason to give bad advice.

For anyone interested water belly's 2 main initial causes are phosphorus levels in the feed of feedlot animals and sand in pasture animals or hay from sandy areas.

It is my understanding that Vicky is a vet. She has provided many posts, information and comments and I sure appreciate her taking the time to provide free assistance.

CKC1586":u820p768 said:
It is my understanding that Vicky is a vet. She has provided many posts, information and comments and I sure appreciate her taking the time to provide free assistance.
Even when it isn't right?

somn":3t4ax731 said:
CKC1586":3t4ax731 said:
somn wrote:
[I sure hope you didn't pay to much for your learning. If you did I would demand a refund of some sort then use the money to go to a different school and learn about water belly. It will maybe stop you from making stupid comments like this last one. Water belly has several causes from different blockages of the urinary tract including the one listed however it isn't the only cause. A real vet with even limited knowledge of cattle would have know that. Think, people, think!!! More importantly Think, Vicky, think!!!

Well, I got one heck of a lot out of it than you did, or ever will again. Just for your edification, waterbelly is caused by RUPTURE of either the bladder, ureters or the urethra from urinary calculi, not just edema. Kidneys with blockage in the renal pelvis are called hydronephrosis, a different condition. Females rarely IF EVER get water belly. In fact, I did a quick literature search, and while urinary calculi are indeed found in females, I couldn't find a case of rupture in a female bovine, as the VAST majority occur in the bladder or penile urethra. Here's a link to a quick synopsis of the condition.

I don't know who you are, but you are not either knowledgable or as experienced as you think. I pity those around you.

What is not right about what she posted?

CKC1586":3428admv said:
somn":3428admv said:
CKC1586":3428admv said:
somn wrote:

What is not right about what she posted?
That is the post she made after some internet learning about water belly. Jump ahead a couple posts. The one where she tells us to think people think. Flops at the mouth about a females penis and so on.

Vicky the vet":2ossk25f said:

Here you go. She made this post in a attempt to make someone look stupid. The problem now is she was the stupid one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts