bred cow with a protruded mass (brisket size under the belly

Help Support CattleToday:

uscangus

Reaction score
have a BW black angus cow that is 5-7 year old that has a large mass under the belly, size of brisket. she is due by april.
i am guessing that she may have a twin. the large protrusion is on the right side, not on the left side(rumen). i have never seen this before. may be a twin, breech position with a large calf, or large calf.

my cow that had a twin had a large mass that extend on the right side, like large a basketball or watermelon.
but this mass is also large but same size a large brisket under the belly. i thought that it may be an ectopic pregnancy. without a help of ultrasonic machine, i am just guessing.

i am having a vet look and palpate this friday when i am off. i trying to save the calf and cow. if he has to do a C-section, i will be prepare with colostrum. i don't want to lose the dam and the calf or calves.

if a bred cow has a C-section, when can the newly calf start nursing to the dam. i would gladly appreciate your kind and generous advises. uscangus. thank you for your generous help. :)

Your chance of getting useful input greatly increases with our ability to see what you're talking about.

In other words, multiple photos from different angles would help.

Different people describe things differently - what do you consider a "mass"? Hernia, tumor, abscess, hematoma, edema, etc.

djinwa":1pmlzjp4 said:
Your chance of getting useful input greatly increases with our ability to see what you're talking about.

In other words, multiple photos from different angles would help.

Different people describe things differently - what do you consider a "mass"? Hernia, tumor, hematoma, edema, etc.

djinwa- you have a point there. since i don't a chute, and i did not raise her as a calf but purchased her as bred cow about three months ago with a group of bred cows. she is not settle down for me to get near her. they go as group when they eat in a manger and grazed in the pastures. the nearest space that i got close to her was about 20 ft, and she took off. it is hard to isolate these bred or cows because the previous owner did not have contact with these cows. eventually, i will pinned them in the manger when the vet get here.

in regard to the "mass", i can't tell you if it is a hernia(GI-tract), soft mass with fluids(edema or hematoma with no sign of bleeding), large hard tumor. i know for fact it is ventral or central to the belly away from any ribs. anyway, thank you for your advises.

large mass that was central and ventral to the belly of the black angus dam was twin calves. another twin this year. i have not evaluated the gender of the twin

Latest posts