Breakfast casserole

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
Take a small baking dish( Pyrex 9x13 or the round pie dish or whatever it is)
Take about a 1/4 stick of butter and butter the dish really well.
Then line the dish with baby spinach leaves.
Take about a half pound of bacon and cut it up into a 2-3" pieces and fry it up crisp.
Take broccoli florets(however much you want. I use a half bag of frozen florets) and boil them till soft and drain and set aside.
In a large bowl whisk up 6 eggs, then add in shredded cheese( I use Mexican blend) add in mushrooms( I use sliced portabella from a can)
Mix bacon, broccoli, mushrooms, eggs and cheese mixture and mix all together, then pour over the spinach leaves in the baking dish.
Cook on 350 for 30 mins or so or until eggs are done

I reckon you have to get up and get that going an hour and a half before daylight for it to be ready for breakfast.

ga.prime said:
I reckon you have to get up and get that going an hour and a half before daylight for it to be ready for breakfast.

The one my wife makes is slightly different. Grease Pyrex dish, roll out canned yeast rolls in bottom and up sides, pour in scrambled eggs and browned ground sausage, top with shredded cheese. Basically same concept. She makes it the night before, puts it in the fridge and pops it in the oven the next morning. Takes about 45 min or until the eggs get done. I ain't much on casseroles for an entire meal (I view them more as a side) but I like this one very much on its on.

Sounds good and crescent roll dough on the bottom would also be good. I would do the prep work the night before and throw it in a preheated oven just after my eyes opened. I'm wondering why just a half pound of bacon? :lol:

JMJ Farms said:
ga.prime said:

The one my wife makes is slightly different. Grease Pyrex dish, roll out canned yeast rolls in bottom and up sides, pour in scrambled eggs and browned ground sausage, top with shredded cheese. Basically same concept. She makes it the night before, puts it in the fridge and pops it in the oven the next morning. Takes about 45 min or until the eggs get done. I ain't much on casseroles for an entire meal (I view them more as a side) but I like this one very much on its on.

I'm going to try that one.

ga.prime said:

If I sleep past 4:30 I feel like I've wasted the day

slick4591 said:
Sounds good and crescent roll dough on the bottom would also be good. I would do the prep work the night before and throw it in a preheated oven just after my eyes opened. I'm wondering why just a half pound of bacon? :lol:

I like more bacon and cheese but my heart can't handle it ;-)

Cross-7 said:
JMJ Farms said:
ga.prime said:

I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you want the specifics I will be glad to ask her. But it's pretty straight forward.

M-5 said:
I'm not waiting 30 min or hour for breakfast.

:D
Buddy of mine used to say when he woke up in the morning, as soon as his feet hit the floor he was ready for breakfast.
It takes me a few cups of coffee before I'm ready to eat

JMJ Farms said:
Cross-7 said:
JMJ Farms said:

I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you want the specifics I will be glad to ask her. But it's pretty straight forward.

If you don't mind.
I think I get it but I'd like the details to be sure

Here it Cross
1)Grease 9x13 glass pan
2)Line bottom and sides with a can of crescent rolls rolled out and flattened to make crust
3)Pour in 1 "roll" of browned Jimmy Dean sausage. Or the equivalent.
4) Pour in 10-12 scrambled eggs.
5) Put in oven at 350 for 45 minutes or until eggs are done. Don't miss Step 6.
6)About 10 minutes before done, liberally add good quality shredded cheese. We use sharp cheddar.

Good when it's hot. And almost as good warmed over. We eat it once a month or so for supper, not just breakfast.

Thanks.
That does sound good .
I would have mixed the cheese with the eggs.
I'm going to try it this weekend

Sounds good. Sounds like what we call a frittata. Sky's the limit on what you can add and its a good way to make use of extra eggs when the hens are in overdrive. We add either milk or heavy cream to the eggs and this makes a big difference in the texture. You may want to try adding either of these and see how you like it.

We usually make frittatas for supper and warm the leftovers for breakfast.

JMJ Farms said:
Here it Cross
1)Grease 9x13 glass pan
2)Line bottom and sides with a can of crescent rolls rolled out and flattened to make crust
3)Pour in 1 "roll" of browned Jimmy Dean sausage. Or the equivalent.
6)About 10 minutes before done, liberally add good quality shredded cheese. We use sharp cheddar.

Good when it's hot. And almost as good warmed over. We eat it once a month or so for supper, not just breakfast.
By "pour in" do you mean crumble it in/spread it out on top of the dough?
(the JD sausage I get won't pour very well)

greybeard said:
JMJ Farms said:
Here it Cross
1)Grease 9x13 glass pan
3)Add 1 pound of ground, browned Jimmy Dean sausage (or your favorite brand/homemade) on top of the crescent rolls.

By "pour in" do you mean crumble it in/spread it out on top of the dough?
(the JD sausage I get won't pour very well)

Fixed it for you

greybeard said:
JMJ Farms said:
Fixed it for you
It's a good thing you did, because otherwise, I was just going to mix the uncooked sausage in with the eggs...

Well GB, I'm glad I saved you the trouble, but if you had added uncooked sausage that one would have been on you. Bc while I concede, (my poor choice of words) that you don't "pour" sausage....my original instructions clearly stated "browned" :lol2: Try it. I will be surprised if you don't like it.

JMJ Farms said:
Well GB, I'm glad I saved you the trouble, but if you had added uncooked sausage that one would have been on you. .my original instructions clearly stated "browned" :lol2: Try it. I will be surprised if you don't like it.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I missed that word altogether
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Jogeephus said:
Sounds good. Sounds like what we call a frittata. Sky's the limit on what you can add and its a good way to make use of extra eggs when the hens are in overdrive. We add either milk or heavy cream to the eggs and this makes a big difference in the texture. You may want to try adding either of these and see how you like it.

We usually make frittatas for supper and warm the leftovers for breakfast.
As Jo said...
whisk 5-6 eggs into 1 cup of cream or milk to make it more of a custard texture and you've got a quiche.

Latest posts