Bread question

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef":lnn2qjoq said:
and i looked into it after posts were kinda deemed wrong and found theyre fed anyting except for the nervous system parts of other bovine actually..and it seems like almost anything is exactly what it means...almost as bad as pigs..cept pigs eat each other too... :cry2:
As do chickens and turkeys

dieselbeef":36jklxfg said:
and i looked into it after posts were kinda deemed wrong and found theyre fed anyting except for the nervous system parts of other bovine actually..and it seems like almost anything is exactly what it means...almost as bad as pigs..cept pigs eat each other too... :cry2:
The "nevous system" seems to be the target however anything labeled "ruminant" meat and bone meal is illegal in cattle feed.

angie":1oaizvbn said:
kenny thomas":1oaizvbn said:
Angie, I have never fed bread but what is the problem with it?
It is a processed grain. It is the animals job to process the grain. Too much is lost in the processing and bread is basically nutritionally incomplete ~ empty calories. One of those things they can starve to death eating. See?

Without insulting a new poster, I cannot express my opinion on this practice. So I will leave it at that and welcome them to the board!
Ohhh I see..so it is kinda like people eating Celery? It takes more energy to digest than what you get from it......not a good investment.. :cboy:

BC

BrownCow":3ufjbnqv said:
angie":3ufjbnqv said:
kenny thomas":3ufjbnqv said:
It is a processed grain. It is the animals job to process the grain. Too much is lost in the processing and bread is basically nutritionally incomplete ~ empty calories. One of those things they can starve to death eating. See?

Without insulting a new poster, I cannot express my opinion on this practice. So I will leave it at that and welcome them to the board!
Ohhh I see..so it is kinda like people eating Celery? It takes more energy to digest than what you get from it......not a good investment.. :cboy:

BC

Absolutely not. Bakery Products are very excellent.

BrownCow":3f9e262q said:
angie":3f9e262q said:
kenny thomas":3f9e262q said:

BC
Wrong, wrong, wrong! Lots of energy in bread. There is no such thing as an empty calorie! A calorie is a measure of the amount of energy a substance contains. Energy is energy.

TexasBred":2pdu8ep6 said:
http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/July98/WonderCattle.bpf.html

Thanks for this very informative article that will hopefully clear up some of the misinformation that has been posted on this thread. :cboy: We're putting the buns in the beef !!

Here in Australia, bread is quite a common feed for cattle. We feed and have fed bread for years, and regularly get top prices at the cattle sales. We always start them off on a small ration, say 2 loaves a day per beast, then increase it to up to eight or nine over time. We have never had any problems whatsoever with feeding it. If you give them a heap before they get used to it, it will bloat them though. Also make sure u feed some hay with it and that tends to negate the yeast in the bread. Our operation is a commercial one, and bread has been very very effective.

I am from Republic of Turkey... I am an Agriculture Engineer (zootechnist) . I am director of a feed factory.
Bread has good energy, good protein, fat and many minerals.
I started to use dry bread in the compound feed otwo mounth ago. İt is drying with dry steam boiler.
We buy expired sell-time rye bread, muffin, baguette etc. about one and half ton (nearly 750 lb) every day from a major national bakery fabric. Nutrition facts of bread nearly 12 % protein and 2600 KCal/kg (1 kcal=4.184 kjoule) and this facts are egual to (slim-poor-lean) ''barley''. I am using 10 % bread in dairy cattle feed. Upwards of 20 %, to cause of Acidosis...

1 kg expired sell-time bread= 0,15 cent
1 kg barley= 0,30 cent in Turkey today...

1 kg whole-wheat bread's (muffin, burger bread; and all white breads) calorie= 2600 kcal/kg (nearly 650 kjoule), 10.5 % protein
1 kg rye bread = 2000-2100 kcal/kg, 9 % protein....
This breads are smilar with USA...
National kind's are to be diffrent...

Hi all...I dont personally keep cattle, but I have read the comments on this subject and would like to offer my opinion and I hope it helps :) when people are talking of empty calories I do not think they saying those calories are bad...but generally the bread has had most of the nutritional content removed already...as such bread is a great addition to traditional feed but not a long term solution as many of the vitamins/minerals have been lost (empty) but in my opinion as a treat/ supplement especially times of hardship I cant see too much of a.problem using bread in the short term as long as you also provide some grass/feed as well even if you cant provide enough of those for their calorific needs...I do think if feeding a lot of bread though you should consider the salt content of it as that will push their water needs up

Flatbroke":2g249n71 said:
bread is an excellent cattle feed but make sure there is no animal protein or fat especially from beef in it as an ingredient you do not want BSE
Why would bread contain animal protein or fat?? Baloney sandwich? :mrgreen: BTW only "Ruminant Meat and Bone Meal" has been known to be a vector for BSE.

[Why would bread contain animal protein or fat?? Baloney sandwich? :mrgreen: BTW only "Ruminant Meat and Bone Meal" has been known to be a vector for BSE./quote]

You have obviously have made a lot of bread, but most breads have shortenings added if it is beef fat (which is very common) then there is a chance of BSE. Fats are also on the list with meat meal and bone meal, as a no no. Beef fat is very commonly used in donuts, cookies and pastries.

Flatbroke":1rkgre1h said:
[Why would bread contain animal protein or fat?? Baloney sandwich? :mrgreen: BTW only "Ruminant Meat and Bone Meal" has been known to be a vector for BSE./quote]

You have obviously have made a lot of bread, but most breads have shortenings added if it is beef fat (which is very common) then there is a chance of BSE. Fats are also on the list with meat meal and bone meal, as a no no. Beef fat is very commonly used in donuts, cookies and pastries.
I am not an expert, but wouldn't we all have BSE if this were the case?

Not from how I understand it branguscowgirl.

It came about from meat being fed to cattle. (Herbivores)

We are omnivores, so we can eat what they can't and let's face it we eat a lot of stuff that is not good for us. It just kills us a lot slower! !!!

Flatbroke":kffnleci said:

Most shortenings are "vegetable" shortenings although a lot of old recipes call for "lard" which is fat from a hog. and along with butter has replaced most animal fats in baking. As said, meat and bone meal has been the only proven vector for BSE. An ingredient that is a protein source often fed to cattle prior to the BSE outbreak. I really good ingredient I might add.

Not so good for us if you are talking about vegetable shortening. I haven't heard that term as over hear we call it vegetabe oils. The most common is margarine and canola oil.

An anecdote for you if you want to bear with me.

In his 20s my stepfather was walking along the street when he lost his sight in one eye.

He was near the Hospital so he went in, where the Doctors stood around oohing and aaahing and doing nothing.

A young guy walked in and said "For God's Sake get him into surgery or he will be blind for life. "

The retina had fallen off the back of his eye.

The Doctor reattached it and he was told that if he was extremely lucky it might last him 20 years; however if it came off again, that would be it and it couldn't be reattached again.

Fast forward 40 years and his sight starts going again. Because of what he had been told he didn't do anything about it.

Mum tracked down the same Doctor and he is now the best eye Doctor in Australia and it turned out that this time it was only a cataract and could be fixed.

There was a lady crying in the waiting room, so Mum went over to find out why.

She said she had just been told that she is going blind and there is nothing that can be done to stop it. Mum assured her that she was at the best Doctor and he would be able to help.

Chris was called in and Mum went in with him. She said to the Doctor that he should go outside and see the lady out there as someone had told her she was going blind and that he wouldn't be able to help her.

He shook his head sadly and said that unfortunately it was true. It is called Macula Degeneration and after it has gone so far it was unstoppable.

He went on to say that they never saw it. Then they saw a case here and there. Now they see it all the time, so a lot of research has been put in to find out why.

....and they had finally found an answer. The culprit is vegetable oil, especially margarine and especially canola oil.

Olive oil on the other hand is different and okay.

So we can have butter and get heart disease or eat margarine and go blind.

Or don't have either, which really isn't that hard once you make the decision.

Suzie Q":14z3n99n said:
Not so good for us if you are talking about vegetable shortening. I haven't heard that term as over hear we call it vegetabe oils. The most common is margarine and canola oil.

An anecdote for you if you want to bear with me.

In his 20s my stepfather was walking along the street when he lost his sight in one eye.

He was near the Hospital so he went in, where the Doctors stood around oohing and aaahing and doing nothing.

A young guy walked in and said "For God's Sake get him into surgery or he will be blind for life. "

The retina had fallen off the back of his eye.

The Doctor reattached it and he was told that if he was extremely lucky it might last him 20 years; however if it came off again, that would be it and it couldn't be reattached again.

Fast forward 40 years and his sight starts going again. Because of what he had been told he didn't do anything about it.

Mum tracked down the same Doctor and he is now the best eye Doctor in Australia and it turned out that this time it was only a cataract and could be fixed.

There was a lady crying in the waiting room, so Mum went over to find out why.

She said she had just been told that she is going blind and there is nothing that can be done to stop it. Mum assured her that she was at the best Doctor and he would be able to help.

Chris was called in and Mum went in with him. She said to the Doctor that he should go outside and see the lady out there as someone had told her she was going blind and that he wouldn't be able to help her.

He shook his head sadly and said that unfortunately it was true. It is called Macula Degeneration and after it has gone so far it was unstoppable.

He went on to say that they never saw it. Then they saw a case here and there. Now they see it all the time, so a lot of research has been put in to find out why.

....and they had finally found an answer. The culprit is vegetable oil, especially margarine and especially canola oil.

Olive oil on the other hand is different and okay.

So we can have butter and get heart disease or eat margarine and go blind.

Or don't have either, which really isn't that hard once you make the decision.
I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! Vegetables were bad for me! And because my digestive system is not like a cow, goat or horse I should be ok living strictly off of donuts and baloney sandwiches. :hide: :lol: :shock:

Not according to the research that has happened since and that story was probably a decade ago.

More and more cases are coming forward about Macular Degeneration. People are being told in Australia not to eat margarine in baking.

Latest posts