Hey TB, got a question

Help Support CattleToday:

5S Cattle

Reaction score
This is what I was told to put in my feed I'm mixing for calves.

This is what I could find locally

Is there any difference?

Not for livestock, hydrated lime is highly caustic.
You're going to want Ag lime, ask a feed mill for some, or somewhere that sells rock.

Damn. That is not what I wanted to hear. I already mixed 9000 lbs with that before I realized I was using the wrong stuff

Don't feed it until you talk to someone about it. It is highly caustic as stated. Burns where it touches moisture. We use in on the ground around water tanks to help kill fungus and desease.

5S Cattle said:
sim.-ang.king said:
What rate?

25 lbs to 3000 lbs of feed.

From my research .8% of the total ration won't harm them, and will help with digestion, just feed hay. You just have to use hydrated lime at a lower rate because of it's higher ph.
Don't quote me on this, and talking to a actual nutritionist will be more helpful.
Might give someone at a Texas University, or a feed mill nutritionist a ring tomorrow morning, would hate for you dump a bunch of feed on my possible miss diagnoses.

sim.-ang.king said:
5S Cattle said:
sim.-ang.king said:
What rate?

25 lbs to 3000 lbs of feed.

From my research .8% of the total ration won't harm them, and will help with digestion, just feed hay. You just have to use hydrated lime at a lower rate because of it's higher ph.
Don't quote me on this, and talking to a actual nutritionist will be more helpful.
Might give someone at a Texas University, or a feed mill nutritionist a ring tomorrow morning, would hate for you dump a bunch of feed on my possible miss diagnoses.
Thank you for researching that! I'll definitely sleep better tonight haha. I have a call into our local feed mill. He used to be our neighbor but he had left work by the time, I had time to call. I'll let y'all know what he says

They'll be like some of us who have tried green persimmons. Like Jerry Clower told the joke, they'll whistle instead of mooing after they eat it!

kenny thomas said:
5S Cattle said:
Just got off the phone with a nutritionist. In between laughs he said I shouldn't have a problem :D
What was he laughing about?

Me being an idiot haha. He said "Travis, I don't really have any research to go off of. I've honestly never heard of anybody getting their self into this situation."

Latest posts