Feed ration help, TB..

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly beef man

Reaction score
Or any other ration experts. I grind ear corn with a protein supplement for a finishing ration. The feed mill recommended a blend of 50% dried distillers, 30% SBM, and 20% cotton seed for a supplement. The price this week is $362 ton delivered. I put 600 lbs of this with 3,400 lbs of ear corn. This is for mixed sex Angus calves. They also have free choice first cut hay and mineral with ruminisim. Any changes I need to make? Do I need to keep the SBM in the supplement?

I am taking them from 700 lbs to finishing. Last year my average live weight a processing was 1144. I have till the end of March to get them there. I have them at 9 lbs of feed a day right now. They will be on full feed within a few more weeks.

I am not a nutritionist. My husband was, so I learned a little. I don't know feed values.

At 700# they will need about a 14% protein ration. As they grow you can reduce the protein (SBM). After about 900#, they only need about 11% ??
If TexasBred jumps on, he's the expert.

I am taking them from 700 lbs to finishing. Last year my average live weight a processing was 1144. I have till the end of March to get them there. I have them at 9 lbs of feed a day right now. They will be on full feed within a few more weeks.
Absolutely nothing wrong with what you plan to do hillbilly. As much as I like whole cottonseed this mix won't have enough seed n the final mix to really make much difference in the ration. I'd either ask them to delete it or double it and do from there. Best wishes with the calves.

If I delete it would you go up 20% on distillers, 20% SBM, or split the difference between the two?
I really won't matter a lot but SBM is sky high right now so might be best to let the mill reformulate the mix at around 28-30% crude protein. This should reduce the soybean meal some and increase the DDG a little bit and lower cost too.

Latest posts