Tractor supply got some jacked up prices

Help Support CattleToday:

I went in the Jarrell TSC Last week and bought 3 bundles of cattle panels or 150 panels. If you've ever handled bundles of cattle panels with a lift you know it's kinda tricky. They did a unbeatable job of loading my trailer and the panels with the bulk discount where 4.00 per panel cheaper than anywhere else. My TSC is perfect for this hobbyist that buys 5000.00 worth of panels at a time.
heh, I just got a "slightly" smaller amount (but enough for the discount!)...they are the ONLY place around here to get them. got a lightweight trailer for the toyota to pull earlier this year too. they used to carry the dog food we feed, but no more so now it is delivered from chewy. one advantage to having a freaking interstate run through the place! independent feed stores for feed and most other supplies. internet for tags and vaccines unless it is an emergency.

I like the tsc hardware section. It's a convince thing reason I even go in there unless it's biddie season I will buy the hell out of some baby chickens every year. I'm not a fan of their feed quality or pricing. I buy from the local feeder supply who mills their own feed here locally and as fence said price on panels and tpost are usually less than anywhere else local but not their wood post they proud of them crooked suckers
TSC posts are terrible here. They are doweled instead of peeled and full of knots. They rot at ground level within 5 years and break off at the knot. They don't even make good cross bars in an H brace because they sag after a couple years. Peeled posts are the only decent post.

We used to get nearly everything from TSC. The last few years they've turned into more of a city type feed store. I still buy panels, gates, tpost, and wire there but not much else. Can't really blame them for catering to a little different crowd. Several years back Atwoods moved in and started building stores and that's were we go now. They are pretty well like a Wal-Mart for rancher. One of the things I really liked about TSC was the detailed item list they sent at the end of the year. Really easy to keep up with.

I buy a bunch of oil and grease at TSC. They have been the cheapest around for Rotella for quite a few years. of course them having it in stock is usually the issue even before the supply issues. Pretty much everything else they sell is junk and/or overpriced. Like Fence says they usually do have good prices on stock panels though for whatever reason.

Walmart has TSC beat by a couple bucks on Rotella here.

Their hardware selection is pretty dang good. But that's about all as far as I'm concerned.

I got a new bolt bin and needed to stock it. TSC had the bolts in bulk for the best price in the area... sold by the pound. But they only had nuts and washers in plastic bags that were expensive.

So the Ace Hardware store is just around the corner and they have bulk boxes of nuts and washers for a lot less money.

TSC is like any other store. They do business to make as much money as they can regardless of how they treat their customers and they don't depend on return business. I don't blame them. Customers aren't as loyal as they once were either. Probably because stores are less customer oriented... It's a vicious cycle.

I was down in Ontario OR last week. I stopped at D&B supply a regional farm supply. There must have been 20 vehicles in the parking lot. Drove down the road to get gas. Went past the TSC. There was 4 vehicles in their parking lot. That is what I normally see. There is no TSC in Baker or LaGrande. Both have D&B and Oregon Trail Livestock Supply.

I have been a stockholder of TSC off and on over the years, so I look at it from a different angle. Most of y'all have picked up on the fact that they cater to the hobby farmer, the weekender, the pet owner, and occasionally to the hard core rancher that needs something on Sunday afternoon. Their lubricants, feed, sprayer fittings etc. aren't the cheapest but like gas on a interstate, you pay for the convenience and the working hours. In essence, they are a convenience store. They even sell gas although it is Propane.
Some stores are better than others. The quality of the panels, fence posts and gates vary because they are sourced locally. Here in Central Texas, the posts and wire panels are top notch, the gray gates, and tube panels they sell are junk.
They do well in smaller towns where their is no competition. They company knows its customers very well and as a result, it is a very successful business in a niche market. They take a lot of business from the Petsmart type stores. Their pet food business is huge and the margins are large.
Take them for what they are. The hard core rancher/farmer is not their target customer but they welcome them. Their big business is the suburban mom with a couple kids, a dog, a rabbit, a garden and maybe a few chickens.

I had a coworker move to the country with a few acres. She mentioned they spend so much money at TSC. They could do well the next decade with everyone wanting to move to the country.

I was down in Ontario OR last week. I stopped at D&B supply a regional farm supply. There must have been 20 vehicles in the parking lot. Drove down the road to get gas. Went past the TSC. There was 4 vehicles in their parking lot. That is what I normally see. There is no TSC in Baker or LaGrande. Both have D&B and Oregon Trail Livestock Supply.
If it was Tuesday thats when us old bastages get 10% off everything but guns 😢

The Woodstock VA TSC has a clearance sale going on with 75% off. Ariat boots for 30 (I know they are made in Vietnam but then all of the "American" boot companies seem to be standing on that fact rather than their quality).

That said I'm happy to shop at TSC. Since I have a day job it can be hard to make the co-op hours, but its my preferred store. I've been to RK - its a 45 minute drive - and found it was a disorganized mess but prices were better.

Went in to look at electric fence boxes and swung through the cattle feed

$15.29 for 12% sweet feed that's $611 a ton

20% cubes $13.49 that's $539 a ton

16% pellet $21.29 that's $851 a ton

They even had Bermuda square bales $19.99 a bale that $799 a ton

The horse owners and hobbyist are lining the pockets of somebody sure wish it was me
You can't get get cubes that cheap here.
Feed lot cattle ration is 450 a ton in a super sack.

If it was Tuesday thats when us old bastages get 10% off everything but guns 😢
No it was on Wednesday. Tuesdays I go to the D&B in Baker. Back before Christmas they sell $30 gift certificates for $25. I buy a bunch of those and then use them on Tuesday. 10% plus 16% savings, they are darn near paying me to shop there.

I have been a stockholder of TSC off and on over the years, so I look at it from a different angle. Most of y'all have picked up on the fact that they cater to the hobby farmer, the weekender, the pet owner, and occasionally to the hard core rancher that needs something on Sunday afternoon. Their lubricants, feed, sprayer fittings etc. aren't the cheapest but like gas on a interstate, you pay for the convenience and the working hours. In essence, they are a convenience store. They even sell gas although it is Propane.
Some stores are better than others. The quality of the panels, fence posts and gates vary because they are sourced locally. Here in Central Texas, the posts and wire panels are top notch, the gray gates, and tube panels they sell are junk.
They do well in smaller towns where their is no competition. They company knows its customers very well and as a result, it is a very successful business in a niche market. They take a lot of business from the Petsmart type stores. Their pet food business is huge and the margins are large.
Take them for what they are. The hard core rancher/farmer is not their target customer but they welcome them. Their big business is the suburban mom with a couple kids, a dog, a rabbit, a garden and maybe a few chickens.
Their feeds are all junk. Made by National companies but to their specs which are quiet low.

You can't get get cubes that cheap here.
Feed lot cattle ration is 450 a ton in a super sack.
I can get a energy cube it's 12% protein for $10.78 a sack at my local dealer TSC cubes are up at $17 something now I called a buddy of mine he went up there to buy some at that price but they done went up local dealer sells there 20% for $14 a sack

TSC price matches. I paid $9.99 for both sweet feed and cracked corn, which is what RK was selling it for. You have to ask for the match. There's no RK here

No it was on Wednesday. Tuesdays I go to the D&B in Baker. Back before Christmas they sell $30 gift certificates for $25. I buy a bunch of those and then use them on Tuesday. 10% plus 16% savings, they are darn near paying me to shop there.
Now that is some good thinking 😂

Use the right credit card and you should be pushing 20percent discount..

Latest posts