Bread question

Help Support CattleToday:

tlark19

Reaction score
I have 8 head and i've been feeding bread for about 4 months now....i give em 11 loaves every other day they also got grass and hay to eat..i guess my question is is 11 to much or should i give more...could i go 11 everyday? Thanks

I know some people on here feed bread, but it has long been a pet peeve of mine. My advice is to quit feeding bread altogether.

Thats like feeding around 1/4 lb feed /day/hd
Common loaf size is a little over 1 lb, there is significant moisture in that lb and you are feeding every other day.
Pretty insignificant supplementation

If you do start feeding more
Do NOT feed every other day- you would be screwing with their rumen bugs.

kenny thomas":legymitz said:
Angie, I have never fed bread but what is the problem with it?
It is a processed grain. It is the animals job to process the grain. Too much is lost in the processing and bread is basically nutritionally incomplete ~ empty calories. One of those things they can starve to death eating. See?

Without insulting a new poster, I cannot express my opinion on this practice. So I will leave it at that and welcome them to the board!

angie":17vhgr36 said:
kenny thomas":17vhgr36 said:
It is a processed grain. It is the animals job to process the grain. Too much is lost in the processing and bread is basically nutritionally incomplete ~ empty calories. One of those things they can starve to death eating. See?

Without insulting a new poster, I cannot express my opinion on this practice. So I will leave it at that and welcome them to the board!
May be emptty calories but feeding enough of it will sure put a bloom on a cow/bull. Had neighbors that had a say old bread store. The stuff they couldn;t sell they brought home and fed to their cows and bull (charolais) and also pigs. Cattle got the bread kind of stuff and the pigs got the sweets.

So such thing as "empty calories". Bread has good energy, good protein, fat and many minerals. Give it to them. It's not like you're going to give them 15 lbs. a day everyday. Look at it as a nice treat. Throw in some old cookies occasionally. Dried bakery products (recycled day old bread, cookies, etc) is a common feed ingredient in the dairy industry.

There was a guy in this area that did some research as a college project on feeding bakery waste. I never got the numbers but he said they did surprisingly well on it.

TexasBred":vi43341i said:
novaman":vi43341i said:
There was a guy in this area that did some research as a college project on feeding bakery waste. I never got the numbers but he said they did surprisingly well on it.

Nova..here's a link from Cornell.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/Ju ... e.bpf.html
Wow those are some impressive numbers going from 63% corn grain down to 15% and getting the same final product.

I know a guy who has a place right close to a tortiila factory. He gets all the broke shells and other culls. He is also close to a green bean processing plant. He gets the waste from them. He mixes torillas, green bean silage, and some long hay together. His steers really grow. And he is feeding cheap.

I don't feed bread.

I know of a woman who fed bread to her goat. It died and the vet said it was because of the bread. I figure goats and cattle are pretty close in the way their innards work.

Also it can cause founder in horses. It happened to a lady at our ponyclub who said yes when a guy asked if it was okay to feed her horse bread. She did not know he was throwing over big bags of day old bread from a bakery. That pony foundered in all four feet.

If you have to feed it in the horse world it is better to let it go stale or toast it and just one or two slices at a time.

I don't like anecdotes about people who feed something and then say how much the animal blooms. That always reminds me of arsenic being fed to horses in the olden days. Yes the horses bloomed. It was because they were being poisoned and their hair was falling out. A horse with short hair is much shinier than their healthy counterparts with longer hair. JMHO.

Suzie Q":1vw5x4qj said:
I don't feed bread.

I know of a woman who fed bread to her goat. It died and the vet said it was because of the bread. I figure goats and cattle are pretty close in the way their innards work.http://fiascofarm.com/goats/feeding.htm article explains goats are slightly different than cattle and does say not to feed more than a slice or 2 of bread to them. Different with cows as the article given earlier states. I do not feed it either but that is not to say it is a bad thing.

Also it can cause founder in horses. It happened to a lady at our ponyclub who said yes when a guy asked if it was okay to feed her horse bread. She did not know he was throwing over big bags of day old bread from a bakery. That pony foundered in all four feet.

If you have to feed it in the horse world it is better to let it go stale or toast it and just one or two slices at a time.

I don't like anecdotes about people who feed something and then say how much the animal blooms. That always reminds me of arsenic being fed to horses in the olden days. Yes the horses bloomed. It was because they were being poisoned and their hair was falling out. A horse with short hair is much shinier than their healthy counterparts with longer hair. JMHO.

like Texas bred said there is no such thing as empty calories.
calories is a measure of energy in a feed stuff.
While I have not reviewed an analysis, I think Bread to be primarily a starchy carbohydrate relatively high in energy and relatively low in protein and fat.

the anecdote of foundering a horse with bags of bread is meaningless. All it says is that the horse foundered on bags of energy. It would similarly have foundered on equivalent consumed energy amounts of corn or oats or grass etc.

I used to be able to get throw away bread from a bakery outlet and fed it to cattle. It is an energy source. they love it. Excellent way to calm cows is to hand feed them slices of bread. If you have many cows you will soon be beseiged. I have a cow now named Merrita because when she was a hiefer she loved bread and would follow me around looking for bread handouts. that was an M year and all the calves that were registered had an M name. Merrita is a brand of bread available around here. Merrita raised a bull once who gained 5.91 lbs per day on official test. she weaned a 795 lb bull calf this spring. this was a U year and her bull calf is PDF Ulysses 9626. will find a photo of him and add to this post later.

tlark19":3sdquswt said:
I have 8 head and i've been feeding bread for about 4 months now....i give em 11 loaves every other day they also got grass and hay to eat..i guess my question is is 11 to much or should i give more...could i go 11 everyday? Thanks

I knew a dairy farmer that fed bread, donuts, sweet stuff all the time for several years, to save on their grain bill, not sure how the cows did on it, but we are talking alot fo extra work, just unwrapping the stuff took a long time-but I guess its up to each of us to know what we had to do to survive the low lows of milk prices and the high feed bills.He got a contract with the bakery, and there was a list of people waiting.

GMN

It is more than just the energy for the horses. I think it has something to do with the yeast.

A bit of hoo har over here on the horse forums as Weightlifter is sold as a horse feed and has the same ingredients as bread.

GMN is right when there is a drought you do what you can to keep them alive and well until the grass grows again, or you lose your herd.

angie":17qcagi8 said:
kenny thomas":17qcagi8 said:

There are several people in my area that feed bread ,including me , & the cattle love it & do well on it. They do get nutrition from it & I havn't seen any of them starving from it. :cboy:

Suzie Q":3rn43blv said:
It is more than just the energy for the horses. I think it has something to do with the yeast.

A bit of hoo har over here on the horse forums as Weightlifter is sold as a horse feed and has the same ingredients as bread.

GMN is right when there is a drought you do what you can to keep them alive and well until the grass grows again, or you lose your herd.
You can founder a horse by feeding him his regular feed but doing it an hour early or an hour late. Feeding when hot...a world of things will throw a horse off stride.. A little bread, especially old bread shouldn't hurt him. The bread mix begins with lots of starches but the enzymes in the mix convert the starch to sugars which allows the yeast to then begin the fermentation process.

Latest posts