Bread question

Help Support CattleToday:

HEREFORD ROADHOG":3vr4jdgc said:
angie":3vr4jdgc said:
kenny thomas":3vr4jdgc said:
Angie, I have never fed bread but what is the problem with it?
It is a processed grain. It is the animals job to process the grain. Too much is lost in the processing and bread is basically nutritionally incomplete ~ empty calories. One of those things they can starve to death eating. See?

Without insulting a new poster, I cannot express my opinion on this practice. So I will leave it at that and welcome them to the board!

There are several people in my area that feed bread ,including me , & the cattle love it & do well on it. They do get nutrition from it & I havn't seen any of them starving from it. :cboy:

I thought of it myself as a supplement,with grain to conserve my grain, as I do not think grain prices will ever go down to $6 a cwt again. Or at least maybe as a young stock feed, but last time I checked all the leftovers were already spoken for.

You guys can obviously feed what you want. I read the research posted, plus more, since this question was posted. As a treat ~ whatever. As a feed source, not my cattle. Ever. For those of you who are concrete thinkers, what I meant by empty calories are calories that inadequately (or "in no way") meet the nutritional needs of the consumer ~ I should have been more clear, but it made sense to me when I heard the term.

angie":2skh93d5 said:
You guys can obviously feed what you want. I read the research posted, plus more, since this question was posted. As a treat ~ whatever. As a feed source, not my cattle. Ever. For those of you who are concrete thinkers, what I meant by empty calories are calories that inadequately (or "in no way") meet the nutritional needs of the consumer ~ I should have been more clear, but it made sense to me when I heard the term.
I'm not looking for a fight...I've heard about your left hook and the "claw" hold. :help:

angie":20sx57hz said:
Huh? I'm still confused but I suppose I'm a concrete thinker? I didn't take my smart pills this morning either. Calories that inadequately meet the nutritional needs.....isn't a calorie a calorie? If it is inadequate add more? Like I said I'm still confused.

novaman":2ziuxkp2 said:
angie":2ziuxkp2 said:
Huh? I'm still confused but I suppose I'm a concrete thinker? I didn't take my smart pills this morning either. Calories that inadequately meet the nutritional needs.....isn't a calorie a calorie? If it is inadequate add more? Like I said I'm still confused.
Yes a calorie is a calorie....anyway you look at it. A twinkie would have more calories than bread ounce to ounce....a snicker bar more than either. Oh and candy is also ground and fed to dairy cattle and a good ingredient. Some are a bit cautious whenever you get away from the conventional thinking about feeds. Most of us that have feed purchased finished feed have most likely fed our cattle some bread, buns, chocolate chip cookies, oreos and vanilla wafers and never knew it.

TexasBred":3d4fte4o said:
novaman":3d4fte4o said:
angie":3d4fte4o said:
Yes a calorie is a calorie....anyway you look at it. A twinkie would have more calories than bread ounce to ounce....a snicker bar more than either. Oh and candy is also ground and fed to dairy cattle and a good ingredient. Some are a bit cautious whenever you get away from the conventional thinking about feeds. Most of us that have feed purchased finished feed have most likely fed our cattle some bread, buns, chocolate chip cookies, oreos and vanilla wafers and never knew it.
Had a team of oxen that would do anything for those cheap sugar wafer cookie things.

novaman":3sjx1bfh said:
Now you have confused "concrete thinker" with stupid. I must have come across as offensive, as it looks like TB took me to have my hackles up also ~ so I apologize. Because you ask again, I will assume that you really give a rats axe, and are trying to figure out what I am talking about.

Nutrients—The chemical substances found in feedstuffs that can be used,
and are necessary, for the maintenance, production, and health of animals.
The chief classes of nutrients are carbohydrates, fats, proteins,
minerals, vitamins, and water.

Nutrient requirement—The amount of a specific
nutrient that is required to meet an animal's
minimum need for maintenance, growth,
reproduction, lactation, and work. Nutritional
requirements depend on the type, size, and
physiological status of the animal.

A calorie is not a nutrient ~ it is simply a measure, or a unit of measurement ( measures "energy"). What are you getting in that calorie? What are the carb, fat, protien, mineral and vitamin requirements of your animals, and is the feed you are giving meeting those needs? The calories in bread do not carry the required levels of protien, vitamins or minerals necessary for the maintenance, production and health of animals.

Its like feeding your kids mac and cheese for every meal. Sure they like it, and you can bet they will fill out ~ but is it healthy? Does it meet the needs of their bodies?

Don't understand the logic of not feeding bread just because it doesn't provide all the nutrients needed. I don't think there's a commodity/ingredient that exists that provides everything in a balanced package. That's why rations/diets are balanced.

A research on the nutritional value of a loaf of bread compared to the nutrient requirements of beef cattle will surprise you that just about every requirement is covered by feeding bread.

Alright Angi I understand what you're getting at but there is no feed that I'm aware of that meets all nutrient requirements. Bread would be a good source of energy, no different than say corn silage. Probably have to have a source of protein and a couple minerals and vitamins but I wouldn't view it as being much different than throwing some grain out for the cattle. Grain is usually looked at as an energy supplement. At any rate, thanks for clarifying.

Angie you've never offended me...and what I posted about your "hook" was mean as a joke. I respect your opinion and decisions concerning your cattle. ;-)

Just went & got another load yesterday, cattle still thriving on it. There is a woman that comes every week to get a ton truckload of it for her cattle !!!! :cboy:

My cousin showed up yesterday with a small trailer load of bread and said it was more than he could feed without it going bad. I loaded up four 55 gallon barrels with it and began doleing it out last night. the heifers did not know what to do with it but the cows sure did and the horses too.

turns out there is a new outlet not too far from me.

dieselbeef":sq7wj4qn said:
dont feelots throw anything including bread into the mix..gum..candy..chicken guts..etc...
Hardly. There may be some bakery products and even some candy products but usually grain (corn) and various grain by-products along with protein source and roughage. Guts go into your dog's food.

Suzie Q":3icbnhg3 said:
No meat products should be fed any more. They think that is how Mad Cow Disease started.

Actually only ruminant meat and bone meal is illegal. Fish meal, feather meal and pork meat and bone meal is still allowed.

and i looked into it after posts were kinda deemed wrong and found theyre fed anyting except for the nervous system parts of other bovine actually..and it seems like almost anything is exactly what it means...almost as bad as pigs..cept pigs eat each other too... :cry2:

Latest posts