Brazos dead again this year?

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
Last year was the first time in many that trot line fishing was useless. Now i found this below:

Source taken from : http://www.hcnews.com/news/get-news.asp ... t-news.asp

What caused massive fish kill in Brazos?
(Friday, March 31, 2006
PETE KENDALL

The mystery of the week is what triggered a massive fish kill Thursday in the Brazos River adjacent to Brazos River Acres in southeast Hood County. All Floyd Holt knows is that hundreds, if not thousands, of small channel catfish are floating in a watery grave and that he's unhappy.
"I went down there and saw it, and it got me excited," the 30-year Hood County resident said. "I started wanting to call people to get something done."
Brazos River Authority representatives responded. A biologist is to make the final determination on cause of the mass mayhem.
"The last time we had a big fish kill was 25 years ago," Holt said. "It was in the millions, but it was mostly trash fish. I saw a few dead catfish then but most shad and carp. What blew me away about this is they were all channel cat.
"Catfish are pretty tough. They can survive in a muddy old cow tank as long as it's got a little water in it."

The dead fish went belly-up in a creek that feeds the river. They were spotted Thursday morning, Holt said, by two boys on a fishing expedition.
"It was this morning around 11. Two little boys went down there to fish. They came back up and said, 'Boy, there's a lot of dead fish down there.' I said, 'Dead fish? What kind, shad?' They said, 'Nooooo, they're little catfish.'
"What caused it, I do not know. The biologist is the one who will decide."

Pete Kendall can be reached at (817) 573-7066, ext. 254, or e-mail [email protected]

backhoe - please post back if you see what the cause was. I've spent a lot of time fishing that river and this story really caught my interest.

cowspider":2r8s6jiz said:
Bummer, sorry to hear that. catfish are tuff ole critters.

probly some fish hate'in commie trick to starve america's redneck population. ;-)
the red neck cuisine BAR-B-Q and catfish love um both ;-)

sidney411":opz0cg4p said:
backhoe - please post back if you see what the cause was. I've spent a lot of time fishing that river and this story really caught my interest.

No problem. We camp out over Memorial Weekend and usually catch quite a few yellow cat on trot lines. Last year I put out 7 perch traps and only caught 3 perch in 4 days. Usually I get 100 per day. We set the trot lines and baited them with perch trapped elsewhere to catch the yellows. We didn't catch a single yellow the entire 4 days. We managed to catch a couple of channel cat but that was it. Bummer.

Now this article came out and I was hoping this year would be like past years before last year. I'll be watching closely. Most everyone expects golden algae to be the culprit. We'll see.