Brand of Generator - didnt want to hijack generator time

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
What brand of generator do you all think is the best ? I have a troybuilt and northern tool branded generator. I wonder if coleman made those but they do pretty good starts in 1 pull normally. The troybuilt is 6500watts and northern 3500 but after hooks post I would like to get a good 8000 watt generator and wondered if there were any generators to run from and which ones everyone liked.

Honda engines are good. My gen runs off a Briggs engine but I couldn't be picky when that's all that was available after a hurricane

I figured that would be the number one response and or Coleman ... Do you know if honda makes the generators for northern tool because the motor uses the same parts and looks like a honda but doesnt say it on there? I ask because going specifically and buying a honda is pricey but if northern has them make their generators I can save $ by just buying the northern branded Generators.

Honda sold their engineering and plans to some Indian and Chinese coma pines a few years back. Sold under the name greyhound and another name. Robin I think. But the bearings are cheap Chinese. Stick with Honda or Briggs. Honda over Briggs.

They dropped off, what I believe to be between a 200-250kw Generac at the hog barn today. Will that fit your needs? :lol:

sim.-ang.king":115094hz said:
They dropped off, what I believe to be between a 200-250kw Generac at the hog barn today. Will that fit your needs? :lol:
Fel free to ship that here. I'll pay the freight

hooknline":2fmfv32v said:
sim.-ang.king":2fmfv32v said:

When you pay the 2 million dollar shipping bill for the pigs and generator. ;-) :lol2:

*Other charges may apply*

sim.-ang.king":3f3g28id said:
hooknline":3f3g28id said:
sim.-ang.king":3f3g28id said:

When you pay the 2 million dollar shipping bill for the pigs and generator. ;-) :lol2:

*Other charges may apply*
Done. I'll send you a cashiers check for 3m. Just send me back the difference with the gen and pork

If you really did send a 2 mil check to Maschhoffs i'm sure they would be happy to send you some pork, and a gen.

Depends what you use for it will be. If it is just general use, Honda powered or Briggs and Scrap Iron will be fine--Honda is more expensive and is reliable and quiet. B&S is less expensive, not 'quite as reliable" and is noisier. You get what you pay for.
If it's main use is going to be residential backup power, I would choose Generac, but I can't say they are any better or worse than anyone else. Their engines are their own--neither B&S or Honda, and are mostly built in Whitewater Wisconsin.

BTW, the Honda looking clone known as a Robin (in some of the Sams Club Black Max generators and centrifugal pumps) is actually a Subaru engine. Used to be marketed in the USA under the name Wisconsin Robin.

http://robinamerica.com/generators.aspx

Also, any of the honda or Honda clones need the valve lash adjusted every 250 hours or so

Hook, you ever use any of the hand held Hondas (I think 2000i).? I helped a guy that had one and I was amazed how quiet it was and how light it was. As long as it did not have a load on it you could not hear it run. He said that he hardly ever used a extension cord since he got it. I have wanted one ever since to use for small stuff (work lights, grinder, sawzall etc).

I used to work for a company that made high end generators mostly under the Master brand. We used mostly Honda engines. They are about the best around. The Robin / Subaru engines that we put on the more economical models actually ran neck and neck with the Honda's in lab tests. This was with a dyno load and ran for days on end without stopping. If you really want to step up to high, high end you can get one with a Yanmar diesel engine. We built those for the military. They would run off of diesel or JP-8 aviation fuel.

The actual brand name is not important as many of them use the same components

A Honda or Briggs&Stratton engine to drive the generator.

In my opinion the Onan generator is the best one on the market - there are others that are good but Onan has been around a long time for a reason.

So if it has both of those components then do not worry about the actual brand of the maker.

8-10K will run about most anything you likely need on a small operation.

If you need something bigger go for a PTO generator - we have used them here a couple of times.

Remember the biggest load is not steady state - it is the start up load when you run electrical equipment - which can be double the steady state load.

When the power is off for miles around it is nice to be able to see at the kitchen table!

My next one will be the smallest Cummins engine teamed with the Onan generator.

Have fun

Bez

Hillbilly, I have used a smaller honda for some shrimp lights before we got led lights. They are very quiet.
A pto genset is on my short list of things to get. I siphoned out has from my boat during the hurricane outages but a pto would be ideal.
Second best thing would be a 4bt cumming linked to a large gen head like bez said. I don't have any need for a automatic transfer set up.

greybeard":34lh4ntr said:
Depends what you use for it will be. If it is just general use, Honda powered or Briggs and Scrap Iron will be fine--Honda is more expensive and is reliable and quiet. B&S is less expensive, not 'quite as reliable" and is noisier. You get what you pay for.
If it's main use is going to be residential backup power, I would choose Generac, but I can't say they are any better or worse than anyone else. Their engines are their own--neither B&S or Honda, and are mostly built in Whitewater Wisconsin.

BTW, the Honda looking clone known as a Robin (in some of the Sams Club Black Max generators and centrifugal pumps) is actually a Subaru engine. Used to be marketed in the USA under the name Wisconsin Robin.

http://robinamerica.com/generators.aspx

Thanks for clearing that up I was wondering about if it was truly a honda or not. Yea honda is a tough motor I have one on a trash pump but b&s definately nothing to shake a stick at either yea the noise level of anything other than honda can be a pain.

HOSS":34lh4ntr said:
I used to work for a company that made high end generators mostly under the Master brand. We used mostly Honda engines. They are about the best around. The Robin / Subaru engines that we put on the more economical models actually ran neck and neck with the Honda's in lab tests. This was with a dyno load and ran for days on end without stopping. If you really want to step up to high, high end you can get one with a Yanmar diesel engine. We built those for the military. They would run off of diesel or JP-8 aviation fuel.

I would love to have one of those military generators on wheels that can power a small city.

I had 2 different Onans. The Engines and generators itself was bulletproof--the regulator boards not so much and those boards were expensive.

The best being used around here for the hunting camps are small Isuzu diesels, not sure what generator is on them but they are burning about a qt. an hour and running 1-2,000 hours a year. Been pretty bullet proof.

Latest posts