Brahman x highland

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

coaklnic000

Reaction score
Has anyone tried crossing a Brahman and highland? If so are there any photos? Thanks

Not sure why you would want to cross those two breeds. Seems to me there are a lot better proven crosses that work.

I'm not sure what the point of crossing them would be. Brahman crossed with mainstream breeds are very beneficial especially in certain areas. Scotch Highlands are probably not going to thrive well in areas where Brahmans are prevalent. I would think that crossing Scotch Highlands with anything would kind of defeat the purpose of having them, as I figure they are more of a novelty breed. If I were going to cross them with anything it would be an Angus.

holm25 said:
Not sure why you would want to cross those two breeds. Seems to me there are a lot better proven crosses that work.

Exactly right! Years of research by several Ag universities and they avoided that bucket.

After reading all the replies I'm kind of curious now to see what you would get! You would have to use highland semen on a brahman cow, other way around i feel would end badly. Brahman calves are slender but very very long.

Redgully said:
After reading all the replies I'm kind of curious now to see what you would get! You would have to use highland semen on a brahman cow, other way around i feel would end badly. Brahman calves are slender but very very long.

I don't think you'd have a problem the other way either, Salers are known to be exceptionally easy calving just because they're long wet noodles for calves

Nesikep said:
Redgully said:

I don't think you'd have a problem the other way either, Salers are known to be exceptionally easy calving just because they're long wet noodles for calves

When we used brahman my sister also tried one, both were backward calves and i feel it was caused by the length and the calf not being able to turn, of course it may have been one of those strange coincidences. One was red and one grey so different bulls. I got mine out but took all mine and my brothers strength and we are both quite strong. My sister lost hers. I have been hesitant to try brahman again.

:
ALACOWMAN said:
coaklnic000 said:
Has anyone tried crossing a Brahman and highland? If so are there any photos? Thanks
I hope not..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to ask why anyone would want to?

The Last time I asked for advice they told me to pass on a heifer for $5,000, they laughed. Said I am a spoiled guy spending "daddies money" 2 months later the same heifer sold for $35,000.

Richnm said:
The Last time I asked for advice they told me to pass on a heifer for $5,000, they laughed. Said I am a spoiled guy spending "daddies money" 2 months later the same heifer sold for $35,000.

Awwwww

Status
Not open for further replies.