Brahman X Charlosis

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
After reading the other thread it got me thinking again about that mix. I have seen some and really liked them. I have little experience with breeding to get something like that.

My question then would be...

Does it matter when doing a cross like that if you use Brahman cows with a Charlosis bull... or... Charlosis cows with a Brahman bull? :lol:

What kind of bull would yall put on cow that were Brahman X Charlosis?

Open to all answers all long as they say why... Thanks.

I only have one red brahma cow that was bred to some high dollar Char bull. He is only 5 months old,but he is definitely a looker. We won't be keeping him, so he'll be going to the sale barn in a couple of weeks.
Anyway, looking at him and to answer your question. I think I would use a brahma bull on charlosis cows . You would probably have a better built animal

Brute 23":13v7zmti said:
After reading the other thread it got me thinking again about that mix. I have seen some and really liked them. I have little experience with breeding to get something like that.

Does it matter when doing a cross like that if you use Brahman cows with a Charlosis bull... or... Charlosis cows with a Brahman bull? :lol:

the cross your talking bout is a charbray.an you get that by running a char bull on brimmer cows.i think yod like the calves.but i dont know what bull youd run on the charbreys.

Personally, I'd run the Charolais bull with brahman females. If you had that much pasture I'd put a RA on the charbray.

CowpokeJ":3cfr3x9j said:
Personally, I'd run the Charolais bull with brahman females. If you had that much pasture I'd put a RA on the charbray.

What would the RA do for them?

I would like to keep my own properties stocked with heifers and sell the rest. But if I sell I want to do it right. Registered doesn't mean much to my buyers but good mommas with a little ear will sell.

if it were me- i'd put a charolais bull on brahman cows (if i could afford brahman cows). then breed those charbray f1s to a black angus, red angus, or hereford.

Seeing that you are from South Texas the brahman cows will do a little better than charolais cows but you will pay more but average out getting more calves per cow.

Brute 23":1ts2ymdj said:
CowpokeJ":1ts2ymdj said:

What would the RA do for them?

I don't have much experience with RA - in fact, my only experience with RA was a bottle calf - but, if that little turkey was an indication of the breed as a whole, I'm guessing growth, muscle, and probably carcass quality.

charbray not my favorite brahman cross. like charolais fine but not for F1's. now you put a char bull on brangus cows or tigers you'll get a dandy terminal calf. to me there are three breeds that make the top cut of the brahman cross angus/hereford simmental

That seems to be an issue. Althoug I like the Brahman X Charlosis it seems they get you no where. When you put another bull on them you just end up with some big mix.

You could achieve just as good an animal by just strarting out with Beefmater or Brangus or something else and save the work.

I know where there is a good deal on some F1 Tiger Stripes... about 150 of them to choose from. Might just do that with a Char Bull and be done with it.

Brute 23":rvhp4ecs said:
That seems to be an issue. Althoug I like the Brahman X Charlosis it seems they get you no where. When you put another bull on them you just end up with some big mix.

You could achieve just as good an animal by just strarting out with Beefmater or Brangus or something else and save the work.

I know where there is a good deal on some F1 Tiger Stripes... about 150 of them to choose from. Might just do that with a Char Bull and be done with it.

sounds like a good idea and less complicated.

Would there be any worthwhile (Quantity/Quality of Beef)benefit to mixing Piedmontese into a Brahman/Charolais cross?

TNMasterBeefProducer":353fkf5l said:
Breed the charolais bull to the brahman cows. Then come back on the resulting offspring with a good Brangus bull (red or black)

That is the exact scenario I am running now. Just have the one cow, and she's my favorite of the bunch. Same bull you've seen pics of before. The calves are nice and thick with length. Last one was steered and went in the freezer and it wasn't bad. Not the best by any means but it was perfectly acceptable. Heifer last time and I am retaining her. Should get another calf out of that cow in about 6 weeks. Hoping for another heifer.

Tegerian":21gaud6w said:
Would there be any worthwhile (Quantity/Quality of Beef)benefit to mixing Piedmontese into a Brahman/Charolais cross?

none that i can see. i would go back with a british breed

Brute 23":11gvycgb said:

You would get the maximum heterosis using a Charolais bull on crossbred cows.

Brute 23":1ekchd5d said:
If you are going to run straight bred cows, then go with brimmer cows. You have more cows than bulls in the pasture so you want the brimmer heat, insect resistance in the majority of your animals, the cows.

Charolais bull on tigers should be a winner. You will have brimmer blood and heterosis in your cows where it counts. Also three breed heterosis in your calves.

Charolais bull on brangus cows would also work good.

I haven't seen too many people go with Charbray cows. The more common approach is to put an Angus or Hereford bull on the Brahman cows and then come back with a Charolais bull on the resulting F1s.

Good luck buying Brahman cows if you don't already have them. They've absolutely gone through the roof. Papered cows brought $3,500 over in Nixon last week. Commercials are priced where the purebreds were just a year or two ago.

Third Row":3qdzrg41 said:
I haven't seen too many people go with Charbray cows.
  • The more common approach is to put an Angus or Hereford bull on the Brahman cows and then come back with a Charolais bull on the resulting F1s.
Good luck buying Brahman cows if you don't already have them. They've absolutely gone through the roof. Papered cows brought $3,500 over in Nixon last week. Commercials are priced where the purebreds were just a year or two ago.
id say your bout 100% correct. and its a long expensive road to travel

Third Row":1058lm6g said:
I haven't seen too many people go with Charbray cows. The more common approach is to put an Angus or Hereford bull on the Brahman cows and then come back with a Charolais bull on the resulting F1s.

Got to have connections... ;-)

Why are they so high?

Latest posts