Braford x Angus cross ?

Help Support CattleToday:

mossyoakman":3w345c2f said:
Anyone have experience with Braford sire and Angus Dam in the Southeast ?

Make a good calf, but I'd switch the parents.

I know a lot of people who use Angus bulls on F1 Brafords they do pretty good make some nice heifers the Char bulls with the F1 Brafords seem to do better if you are going for slaughter

wacocowboy":1sunclau said:
I know a lot of people who use Angus bulls on F1 Brafords they do pretty good make some nice heifers the Char bulls with the F1 Brafords seem to do better if you are going for slaughter
I'll agree with this also from what I've seen here.

I'm wanting maximum hybrid vigor on sale calves and some Brahma blood in retained heifers.

Then an Angus bull on Braford cows is a good way to go! The same bull on Beefmaster cows is also an extremely nice cross.

You could always get a good Brahman bull from V8 or someone like that. The 50/50 resulting heifers would be nice.

I am a little partial but you get get a purebred Simbrah. Would give you a good pop on the vigor, bull calves would sell well at the barn and heifers should be easy keepers. Docile and fertile. Would be making your own SimAngus HT.

mossyoakman":tik06e5i said:
Why not use a Braford bull on my Angus cows ?
I don't see any reason not to. I came to the same conclusion you have here a while back and the only reason I haven't done it yet is that braford bulls are not readily available here so it would all have to go in AI and I want my cleanup bulls to be the same breed as what I'm AI'ing to.
I think brafords might be the answer for you in the short term and then in the future you can go brangus/hereford and have more readily available bulls.

mossyoakman":ktr6zzov said:

The only drawback I can think of might be finding the bull. If you can't find a true Braford maybe you could locate someone that's raising F1's who'd have a bull calf for sale.

mossyoakman":1pw0gw1l said:

To me there are a lot more Beefmaster and Simbrah bulls of better quality out there then Braford. I have been around all 3 and the Beefmaster and Simbrah have always seemed to produce better calves. If you want to with the Beefmaster and Simbrah you can get a black bull to put on your angus cows. As far as I know they don't have Black Braford but with Black Hereford I am sure Black Braford is not to far off.

Latest posts