Bowl games

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC

Reaction score
22 games down and 13 to go. I gotta admit, except for my Illini in the Texas Bowl I haven't paid much attention up to this point, although I did see most of the Fla St-SC game last night. Wanted to watch Notre Dame yesterday but something else came up. But now it's Jan. 1st and I'm getting fired up. So just for kicks I've made a list of how the conferences are doing so far and how many games they have left.

Big 10 2-0 with 6 remaining
Big 12 1-4 with 3 remaining
ACC 4-3 with 2 remaining
SEC 0-3 with 7 remaining
Big East 3-1 with 2 remaining
Pac 10 1-1 with 2 remaining

Independents 2-1 and done
C-USA 2-4 and done
Sun Belt 2-0 with 1 remaining
MAC 1-2 with 1 remaining
MWC 3-1 with 1 remaining
WAC 1-2 with 1 remaining

Lots of football to be played yet with the top teams yet to play. Most of the games left involve SEC and/or Big Ten teams with 4 of them head to head matchups. It'll be intersting to see how this shakes out. I'll update it tomorrow.

Now for some nostalgia: I remember the first game I paid close attention to as a kid was watching Illinois beat Washington 17-7 in the 1964 Rose Bowl. Pretty good team with Jim Grabowski at FB and Dick Butkus at LB. Also remember watching Michigan State and Notre Dame play to a 10-10 tie in 1966 in what was then known as the "game of the century". Both teams ended up 10-0-1 with Notre Dame ranked #1 and MSU ranked #2.

Now here's the kicker: oddly enough, neither team played in a bowl game. Back then the Big Ten rule was that a team could not represent the conference two years in a row in the Rose Bowl. Since MSU had been there the year before, the Big Ten sent 2nd place Purdue who ended up beating USC 14-13. Also, Big Ten teams were not allowed to go to any bowl game except the Rose Bowl, so MSU stayed home. Notre Dame stayed home, too, because they didn't accept invitations to any bowl games until 1969.

Alabama ended up 12-0 that year after beating Nebraska 34-7 in the Sugar Bowl but ended up #3 in the rankings. Sure would have been nice to see MSU or ND go up against Alabama that year. The system for determining a national champion today is far from perfect, but I'd say it's better than it was back then. Still like to see an 8-12 team playoff, though.

Thanks for putting that together Van. I have curious as to how the conferences were doing. After hearing all the talk from the media and lip flappers I'm happy to see the great SEC having trouble, with luck they will loss one more important game. The Big ten is showing things pretty well. I would think Stanford should win and of course the Ducks to give the Pac 10 a 3-1 record.

I didn't watch a whole lot of football as a youngster, but of course my dad did. Mom use to make him these "snacks" (I can't spell horse d oars and spell check isn't helping me) they were a slice of deli salomi with a square of cheddar and a black or green olive on top of that, a tooth pick held it all together. I got 4 or 5 with a cup of root beer when the games started.... I usually ate them sat through the 1st qtr and then was gone, a good memory. But I do remember Johnny Rodgers, OJ in his USC days as well as some pros like Merlin Olsen, Bart Starr, and that great Dolphin team.

A few good games today, really looking forward to the Rose Bowl, power against speed, but I think it will be Wisconsin.

Alan

22 played and 13 to go. It seems like this thing drags on forever.
New Years Day games used to be all there was. Four games in a day, always ended for me with that wacky, overdone halftime at the Orange Bowl. I loved the year they did Pac Man.
Now we get 6-5 teams on NYDay.
The last time Purdue played in a Bowl I think the team was 6-5. I was embarrased for us. I wish there was a 9 win cutoff to play in a Bowl. Granted, teams would schedule even more games against Mother Theresa's Acadamy, but--
A six win season ought to get you the right to go home, heal, lift weights and adjust your attitude for next year. Maybe pass a class, just for grins.
There are not 70 teams playing good football at the end of a season. Trim the bowls (I know--good luck doing that). But 9 or 10 good games on NYDay would be a tv lovefest.

The QB of that Purdue team was Bob Griese, btw. I believe the game was won on a two point conversion. I have a vague memory of watching.

Yeah, the 6-6 SEC teams lost their bowl games. Who could have seen that coming? How about that update, Van?

ga.prime":34pc4v8m said:
Yeah, the 6-6 SEC teams lost their bowl games. Who could have seen that coming? How about that update, Van?

Working on it.

Man, the Big Ten sure took it on the chin yesterday. Oh, well, good thing I don't bet much anymore. Michigan and Michigan St should have to walk home after their sorry performances. Bet the whole state is in mourning today. :lol2: At least my team won.

VanC":2ooygj8p said:
ga.prime":2ooygj8p said:

Working on it.

Man, the Big Ten sure took it on the chin yesterday. Oh, well, good thing I don't bet much anymore. Michigan and Michigan St should have to walk home after their sorry performances. Bet the whole state is in mourning today. :lol2: At least my team won.
:lol2: Yeah, at least Illinois won.

28 down and 7 to go. Heck, I remember when there weren't 7 bowl games altogether, let alone after New Year's Day.

Big 10 2-5 with 1 remaining
Big 12 3-4 with 1 remaining
ACC 4-3 with 2 remaining
SEC 3-3 with 4 remaining
Big East 3-2 with 1 remaining
Pac 10 1-1 with 2 remaining

Independents 2-1 and done
C-USA 2-4 and done
Sun Belt 2-0 and 1 remaining
MAC 1-2 and 1 remaining
MWC 4-1 and done
WAC 1-2 and 1 remaining

VanC":13ckrapk said:
28 down and 7 to go. Heck, I remember when there weren't 7 bowl games altogether, let alone after New Year's Day.
Me too. Last game used to be the Orange Bowl on New Year's night.

Yep..use to all you had was the Sugar, Cotton, Rose and Orange. Now there are two dozen or more. Van your Illini looked pretty darn good. I was glad to see the "little guys" from TCU beat Wisconsin. And yes the Big 10 "Took Gas" yesterday. Am now sitting here watching the Philly Eagle "Backups" giving the Cowboys more than they want. Would love to see Jerry Jones fuming again when this one is over.

Latest posts