Bought these 2 at auction

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy of Texas

Reaction score
Went to the sale barn in Karnes City last saturday.Prices were good.Some went pretty high,some went really cheap.
The husband was out back talking to Joe Blow. Someone had brought some good blooded cattle in. And they were nice no dought. He wanted a heifer . After a few words,I said ok. He picked her out and I did the bididng. Ok .I ended up paying a 1.29 and some guy got really po'd at me. Called me the B word.
This the best pic I could take of her Because she is nuts!!

12-16-07040.jpg

The next one I bought was a brahma heifer for my youngest son. She was a 1.16 The man got mad again. Ok I said fine. I was watching him bid on the little brown heifer in the picture. Yes I did ,out bid him again. It does not pay to be rude to me or call me names. My husband decided it was best for me to go and not start anything. Me,oh I was hot.

12-16-07028.jpg

Not bad at all! Don't is just pi$$ you off when you have the "get mad" type at the auction. All it took was for him to spend more money........

All hat - no cattle. :)

like that grey heifer.. little light and rangy but good muscle'in in the butt and clean underline...... got a list of bulls i like to use on her. should make a great moma

Joy, after the heavy culls in '05 and then again in '06, good eared cows are hard to come by. It is fun to watch good cattle come through the sale barn and watch folks get excited.

those are some nice looking heifers.how much do they weigh.as for people getting madd because you outbid them.hey its a sale barn.the bidders deteramine the prices.an he was madd because he wanted to steal those 2 heifer calves.

Joy, I can see the pics now. (I'm on a different computer). I really like the Brahma. Good thing I wasn't there or that guy might have gotten really ticked. Don't think you'd pick her up for that price around here.

Joy, if the heifer is nuts then put her on the feed bucket for a while then put her in the freezer. Or if you are like us, and don't have the freezer space then take her back to the sale barn before she hurts someone. When she gets big, she is realy going to be a hand full.
Good luck,
D.R.

nice looking hiefers. i have 2 cows that were nuts when i bought them in the pen. however they are great in the pasture and raise awesome calves. stay full bodies all winter and have large bags. one is tough when i round them up on the dogs but she is to good to sell. good calves and shape. i dont care if she gets nuts a bit when penned. nuts is somewhat subjective. in fl most of the cattle are handled less them up north because they are on pasture all winter and get less feed and hay than northen areas - that is my guess plus we have more eared cows as well.

backhoeboogie":lqp3ewf0 said:
Joy, after the heavy culls in '05 and then again in '06, good eared cows are hard to come by. It is fun to watch good cattle come through the sale barn and watch folks get excited.
It is very exciting when a couple come the sale. I can't afford too many of them I try to atleast buy one now and then.

bigbull338":3i9ihvuf said:
those are some nice looking heifers.how much do they weigh.as for people getting madd because you outbid them.hey its a sale barn.the bidders deteramine the prices.an he was madd because he wanted to steal those 2 heifer calves.
Thanks Bigbull, They are pretty nice.
The first red heifer weighed 470 lbs. @ 1.29 =606.30
The grey brahma heifer weighed 365@ 1.16 = 423.40
The little red F1 285 lbs. @ 1.21 = 344.86
I myself think the man was kind of childish. In my head I would have went up to 1.30 on all 3. Even though most calves were bringing alot less than that. I am the type of person sees something that I want. By gosh I am not afraid to bid on it. The was only 3 brahma heifers there that day. I got one and there was one that was in bad shape . Then there was another crazy. She was pretty, but way to flighty, The man got her ,but probably still cussing me . I got the better one. :D

dun":t09tdomk said:
Haul the nut case back to the salebarn
That's the plan sir. But I have to wait a couple of weeks.All the barns are closed until after the first of the year.

well dont feel bad about outbidding him.years ago when we milked cows.i ran with a bunch of cattle traders.a we all are great friends.an i was buying some cows.an i offered a friend $1100 on 1 cow an $1150 on the other.well he says no your trying to steal them.he goes i want $1350 for the cow.so i says ill buy them out of the sale.1st cow comes in ring i knock down on her at $1020 2nd cow an i knock down on her at $1150.an he goes merry blanking christmas you stole them cows.me an his dad was sitting by him laughing.

grannysoo":ze5t9bno said:
Not bad at all! Don't is just pi$$ you off when you have the "get mad" type at the auction. All it took was for him to spend more money........

All hat - no cattle. :)
It really does sometimes. It's hard because I am a female.They buyers there have quotas to fill and the auctioneer works with them first. I have been ignored alot of times. But very seldom out bid.
This guy was no better than me and acting like a fool. He did have a pretty big hat and new boots..........

man your nicer than me.if the auctioneer is ignoring me i have it out with him.an after that he keeps an eye on me.but i havent done that in yrs tho.

I always use one of the ring men to bid. Find a good one. I maintain eye contact until the price goes to high. While bidding, if someone takes me out, he'll point back at me. Usually they yell "YEEELPP" when I bid and look the crowd over. If he doesn't come back at me, I am on the hook.

Nice cows-flighty may calm down by the time the barns open back up..

Don't much care for high strung animals, but you never know what an animal is really like right out if the gate...give it a little time to see if she is really a calm one caught up in the stress of the move etc.

You can always put wheels under butt in time if she doesn't settle down. I have done that numerous times, and found that wild in the ring and even days after often calms down to an easy keeper in a short period of time.....more often then not. :cboy:

Latest posts