bought a reg beefmaster cow

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
well i finally did it jumped into the reg beefmaster business.bought me a dark red beefmaster cow thats 6 months bred.she is a 4yr old.her sire is gensis 9/00 spartcus 85/653 landrum oaks 60/4 gladator 8/36 dreamlady 2c 9-77 classic cotton 89/135 zipperer 238 her dam tx dipsey doodle 2092 texas hero 12-7 smile 1786 hero 0181 ron don 27/9 atlas 42 dainty mama 21 .the calf she is carring is sired by kentucky cotton.tell me what yall think about her.she is a loud dark red paint let me tell you.an i just gave $1400 for her.

bigbull338":2gayz5x3 said:
well i finally did it jumped into the reg beefmaster business.bought me a dark red beefmaster cow thats 6 months bred.she is a 4yr old.her sire is gensis 9/00 spartcus 85/653 landrum oaks 60/4 gladator 8/36 dreamlady 2c 9-77 classic cotton 89/135 zipperer 238 her dam tx dipsey doodle 2092 texas hero 12-7 smile 1786 hero 0181 ron don 27/9 atlas 42 dainty mama 21 .the calf she is carring is sired by kentucky cotton.tell me what yall think about her.she is a loud dark red paint let me tell you.an i just gave $1400 for her.

Congratulations.

Frankie":1xcv1qbp said:
bigbull338":1xcv1qbp said:

Congratulations.
thanks beefy ill have to get a pic of her in a few days.she is still at the sale site.gonna haul her home sun evening with the other cows i buy tomorrow.

bigbull338":3cagwgck said:
Frankie":3cagwgck said:
bigbull338":3cagwgck said:

Congratulations.
thanks beefy ill have to get a pic of her in a few days.she is still at the sale site.gonna haul her home sun evening with the other cows i buy tomorrow.
What sale did you go to?

CowpokeJ":hllzgr9a said:
bigbull338":hllzgr9a said:
Frankie":hllzgr9a said:
bigbull338":hllzgr9a said:

Congratulations.
What sale did you go to?
lonestar beefmaster breeders sale.an the shelton ranch sale out today.only got 1 pair today.the cows bulls an heifers was all higher than the devil.got the cows turned out in their new pasture.letting them settle in.oh an for all you guys that like black hides.i ended up buying a black hided heifer pair.

I went today. I bought 2yo with a heifer calf and I bought a black heifer. I was shocked at how high the heifers were selling for. They were pretty and sassy, but they were too high. I bought when the bidding fizzled out. You will love your Beefmasters no matter what color they are. Congrats!

fourstates":htbwb8dg said:
I went today. I bought 2yo with a heifer calf and I bought a black heifer. I was shocked at how high the heifers were selling for. They were pretty and sassy, but they were too high. I bought when the bidding fizzled out. You will love your Beefmasters no matter what color they are. Congrats!
i bought lot 134 blk cow 2yr old red calf born 2-24 ready to breed back i bought when i could slide under them an get 1.i was charging under 313 bidder # payne farms.what was you charging under.

In reading these posts, I am curious if you two bidders were bidding on QUALITY - or bidding for the low dollar. It requires some real thought and perception to comprehend and interpret just exactly WHY one lot is in demand by several bidders, and another lot, bred similarilly, may not demand the same interest. Money, sometimes, is not the best criterion by which to justify purchases for the necessities of your particular herd at the moment! It is very easy to become overwhelmed by the excitement of the moment at an auction!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":3l5l9via said:
In reading these posts, I am curious if you two bidders were bidding on QUALITY - or bidding for the low dollar. It requires some real thought and perception to comprehend and interpret just exactly WHY one lot is in demand by several bidders, and another lot, bred similarilly, may not demand the same interest. Money, sometimes, is not the best criterion by which to justify purchases for the necessities of your particular herd at the moment! It is very easy to become overwhelmed by the excitement of the moment at an auction!

DOC HARRIS

If I remeber right he said it was his first Beefmaster. I would not expect him to go out and buy a $5,000 cow that was AI'd to the National Champion. I'd expect him to get some decent cows and build on that.

ilfarmer92":94repw63 said:
DOC HARRIS":94repw63 said:

DOC HARRIS

If I remeber right he said it was his first Beefmaster. I would not expect him to go out and buy a $5,000 cow that was AI'd to the National Champion. I'd expect him to get some decent cows and build on that.
:nod:

DOC HARRIS":17hxayvb said:

DOC HARRIS
doc the cow i bought wasnt low qualty.she was blk an the bidding slowed on her an i got her bought.i dont think she was low qualty at all.the guys was just hotter than a firecracker on the red cows.heres the aves of the sale off top of my head.pairs ave $1770 bred heifers aved close to $2000 open heifers aved $1200 or better over all sale aved $1700.oh yeah i almost forgot.a friend of mine was there helping me pick cows.an if she wasnt good he wouldve told me no.

fourstates":2l3q7r6c said:

I'm usually surprised, too, how well bred heifers sell. It seems most sales bred heifers will outsell young cows with a calf at side! Open heifers usually don't sell as well, though.

Frankie":phgzmm6j said:
fourstates":phgzmm6j said:

I'm usually surprised, too, how well bred heifers sell. It seems most sales bred heifers will outsell young cows with a calf at side! Open heifers usually don't sell as well, though.
the bred heifers was selling for $2000 or better.i like to buy 2nd or 3rd calf cows.that way you know they breed an deliver a calf.in all fairness the peo[ple that was buying knew the herd real well.

This was a great sale for a beginner. The herd manager kept meticulous records. (The owner of the ranch died.) All the cattle had ultrasound info, including pelvic data, and calving intervals. They also seemed to concentrated on conformation, and udder quality instead of just color. There were some of the best udders, great sheaths and tightest leather I had ever seen.

Sometimes at an auction, as long as you don't get up to pee, smoke, eat or drink, there is a lull in the bidding, and you can get a good price.

IMO, It's crazy to pay more for a bred heifer than a pair with a young cow, cause it's hard to tell mothering ability, and heifers require a lot of close watching.

fourstates":6rabdztr said:
This was a great sale for a beginner. The herd manager kept meticulous records. (The owner of the ranch died.) All the cattle had ultrasound info, including pelvic data, and calving intervals. They also seemed to concentrated on conformation, and udder quality instead of just color. There were some of the best udders, great sheaths and tightest leather I had ever seen.

Sometimes at an auction, as long as you don't get up to pee, smoke, eat or drink, there is a lull in the bidding, and you can get a good price.

IMO, It's crazy to pay more for a bred heifer than a pair with a young cow, cause it's hard to tell mothering ability, and heifers require a lot of close watching.
i stayed put the whole sale never getting up.your right they had some great looking cows an heifers.i looked at them friday.an they looked gaunt to me.but when sun came they looked real good.they was filled out nicely.

bbyou":51xh5k0s said:
I heard Shelton's dispersal had a $1500-1600 average. What were their high selling lots.
heres a list of the high selling cows.
lot 3 3 in 1 $2500
lot 4 3 in 1 $2600
lot 8 3 in 1 $3500
lot 9 3 in 1 $2600
lot 29 pair $3000
lot 38 pair $2200
lot 44 pair $2400
lot 45 pair $2000
bull lots
lot 213 $6500
lot 214 $5100