Bought a boat

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
There was a post a few weeks ago about 3 way being retired and spending all his time hunting, fishing, and chasing his wife around the house. Well I am getting ready to retire in a year or so. I already have a wife to chase, plenty of guns to go hunting with, but no boat to fish in. So yesterday there was a farm equipment, miscellaneous, and junk auction at the sale yard. There was a real well kept 14 foot Smoker Craft Alaskan with a 15 hp outboard, a electric trolling motor, fish finder, on a easy lift trailer. All set up and ready to go fish. I am now set to go fishing and the wife is relieved.

Life is good! Are you going to fish some of the rivers around you for spring Chinooks this season?

I'm not a "water" person, but I'm glad your planning ahead. I retire in 4 years, and plan almost daily.

You are aware that the definition of a boat is "a hole in the water into which you throw money"? And it's said the 2 happiest days of boat ownership is the day you get it and the day you sell it.

dun":121kstvr said:
You are aware that the definition of a boat is "a hole in the water into which you throw money"? And it's said the 2 happiest days of boat ownership is the day you get it and the day you sell it.

Yes Dun I know that, but I did my research. I knew this boat was going to be at auction. The same boat on Craigslist are selling for about twice what I paid for it. So if I wanted to I could simply flip it and make money. It is a pretty simple little fishing boat. And there are lots of lakes waiting for me to explore them and maybe catch a fish or two. I have worked on salmon and crab boats off the coast. This certainly isn't a boat to take there. I have hunted ducks and fished the lower Columbia. Again not the place for this boat. Not a big bad water boat which is just fine because I am a fair weather fisherman.

My boat was one of the best purchases I ever made. I love the smell of a 2 stroke motor in the morning. Smaller fishing boats are pretty straight forward, and with minimal upkeep it should always be ready to go to the lake.

Personally I don;t feel that way about boats. Really enjoy my 17 foot tracker bass boat. In washington I had a 21 ft cuddycabin with a galley, covered wagon canvas and a 470 mercruiser with a 10 hp Honda kicker. It was a really sad day when we moved and I sold it.

The great thing about boats is you can spend just about as much or as little as you want. The days I get to spend on the water with my son in my little 16' Smokercraft are some of my best days. With a 3 year old we don't catch a lot of fish but we sure have fun boat riding and eating snacks

hillbilly beef man":29k6125q said:
The great thing about boats is you can spend just about as much or as little as you want. The days I get to spend on the water with my son in my little 16' Smokercraft are some of my best days. With a 3 year old we don't catch a lot of fish but we sure have fun boat riding and eating snacks

I am think two of the grandkids who live close enough and are old enough will make great fishing partners. I think I will need to put a rope around the boy so when (not if) he falls in I can pull him back out of the water. Probably should tie a line to his fishing pole so we don't lose it either.

Dave":otufkjz2 said:
There was a post a few weeks ago about 3 way being retired and spending all his time hunting, fishing, and chasing his wife around the house. Well I am getting ready to retire in a year or so. I already have a wife to chase, plenty of guns to go hunting with, but no boat to fish in. So yesterday there was a farm equipment, miscellaneous, and junk auction at the sale yard. There was a real well kept 14 foot Smoker Craft Alaskan with a 15 hp outboard, a electric trolling motor, fish finder, on a easy lift trailer. All set up and ready to go fish. I am now set to go fishing and the wife is relieved.

Your killin me I have owned a boat for 45 years of one make or the other.
Have a virtually new Mako sitting in the barn dang Dr said three more months before I can hit the bay.

Dave":2la3ls2s said:
hillbilly beef man":2la3ls2s said:

I am think two of the grandkids who live close enough and are old enough will make great fishing partners. I think I will need to put a rope around the boy so when (not if) he falls in I can pull him back out of the water. Probably should tie a line to his fishing pole so we don't lose it either.

They make a float that slips over the rod just in front of the reel that will keep a rod from going under. For the kids just keep a life jacket on them and then you can fish them out.

That's what "boat" stands for; Break Out Another Thousand.
Enjoy it though.

js1234":1is2j9so said:
Enjoy it though.
Worth every penny I spent on fishing rigs.
Couldn't buy the memories of fishing with dad the kids,grandkids,now waiting on the two
great grandsons.

Caustic Burno":htsx4ye9 said:
js1234":htsx4ye9 said:
Enjoy it though.
Couldn't buy the memories of fishing with dad the kids,grandkids,now waiting on the two
great grandsons.
Sounds like you did.
I'm certainly in no position to criticize expensive hobbies though.
Good fishing.

That is the reason I am still using a 40 year old tractor. Life is short and you never seen an armored car following a hearse I already have enough money to burn a wet mule.
Can't take it with you.

I love my boat and the memories with my dad and kids.. I've had 6 of one make or another .. I have a 21ft Bay boat now .. I don't get to use it as much as I'd like.

Latest posts