bottle calf scours

Help Support CattleToday:

Howdyjabo

Reaction score
Help me out- I tried a search and I haven't enough time in the day to find what I am looking for.

I have an "old timer" neighbor that I am talking with about feeding out his bottle calves(Holstiens bought off sales 8hrs away) after he grows them to 400lbs. I'd like to scratch his back some-- and make sure he stays in business :)

Hes been having trouble with scours-- Hes doing all the right things- keeping everything REAL clean. And has used the common treatments.
Hes got several hundred head- so its just something hes gonna have regularly. Hes been doing this for years- but hasn't changed or kept up to date with new ideas.
He doesn't mess with the internet- and theres really not many Dairymen around here anymore- to keep him up to date on whats new.

Someone posted about a "home remedy" that they liked-- hes interested in hearing about it.

Can someone post it again????
Or any other treatment protocols that I can pass along -

Recently, I heard of a scour treatment used by an outfit that buys a gazillion baby bottle calves (holstein bulls) at the sale. I haven't tried it yet because I don't raise them thruout the summer. However, I'm willing to try it when I begin buying them again if for no other reason than "Arturo" is doing it..

Don't laugh...run fresh garlic thru the food processor and put a tablespoon of it in the bottles.

Alice

I prefer to stick with the stuff that I know works and I know why it works. Some of these "homeade remedies" make me scratch my head a little.

Last time I treated calves (when I was still in Idaho!) I used a sulfa/oxytet200 combo and I've been pleased with that. Don't think I've lost a calf that I've had on the SMZ/oxytet combination.

"Ollie's Love Potion No. 9", which is Spectam, 10cc. squirted in back of throat. Works great. Have only had to retreat once.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this from a year ago.

;-)

Here are 2 home remedies for scours posted here a while back. I think Cattle Annie posted the first one, and Ollie the 2nd. Just throwing them out there for additional info, as I haven't had to use them and can't personally attest to their effectiveness.

1.5 Litres (just over a Quart) Warm Water
2 TBSP Brown Sugar
1 TBSP Salt
1 Raw Egg
1 TBSP Javex Bleach
Mix well and administer by tubing.
Here's how it apparently works:
The sugar, salt, water mixture is the equivalent of electrolytes (keeps the calf from dehydrating and provides energy).
The egg coats the stomach wall (and possibly provides some protein).
The bleach kills the scours bacteria.

And:

Ollie wrote:
Love Potion #9

1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup corn white corn syrup ( She says I usually want her to sub sugar so I can carry it as a powder and mix with water with out going back to the house when I find a scouring calf.)
10cc spectram

I usually mix with a quart of water. The recipe is an old friends and he says he uses a half gallon.
It works every time for me. Sometimes if they get real weak I may treat them twice. It sure goes out the drench tube easier than all that glue junk.
I have therefore decided to copyright this recipe. It is now called "Love potion number 9" An individual/company/ranch may not use this formula with out the express written consent from the grand Ollie of Cattle Today.

This is the express written permission. Terms of use are as follows.
1. During the administration of this formula the administrator must hummm the chorus of the song "love potion number 9"

2. After full recovery the administrator must say out loud "The Great Ollie is my daddy.

There are no other terms. No compensation required.
You're Welcome

Thanks guys---

I'll be sure to pass on Ollies "copyright"

Looks like I'll be feeding out some of his 4 wts :)

Honey of a deal-- I just have to feed them at his place(just down the road).
Makes my commodities storage and equipment work better-- without alot of extra labor . Feed more-- spread the fixed costs out more.

shorty":226ptf8k said:
I used to use sulfa boluses but for past year or so I tried a paste in a tube called Tri-Pectate , you give them one tube 30cc and it works, it says on the label to repeat if necessary but I never had to , for more info here's their website; http://www.VanBeekScientific.com

Shorty,

Are the calves you use the Tri-Pectate on calves that have for sure had the benefit of colostrum? I am always on the lookout for scours treatment for my sale barn bottle babies...ones that most likely haven't had colostrum, or at least enough colostrum to do them much good.

Thanks,

Alice

I get my calves from two local dairies which both feed colostrum for the first 3 days I usually get them the forth or fifth day. I don't have much problem with scours , in the last 30 calves I had 3 cases but caught it and cleared it up right away. i haven't lost a calf to scours in years.

Latest posts