Bottle calf constipated?

Help Support CattleToday:

pdoramus

Reaction score
I know it sounds silly, but I think our 5 day old holstein calf may be constipated. He has had a little straw sticking to his tailend so I know he's been getting a little out, but I haven't seen anything dropped on the ground. This morning he only drank half of his milk and then didn't want anything to do with it. My husband came home at lunch to try again, and he wouldn't drink at all at first. After the calf struggled to produce a very thick stool, then he drank his bottle half heartedly (but he got it down). Tonight he wouldn't drink again. He may not be completely hungry yet, but he doesn't want to suck either. Never had a calf that wouldn't suck at anything. He still hasn't dumped any other pooh since the one time shot. Any home remedies for a constipated calf??? or other suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Fleet enemas usually work too. You can buy them at the pharmacy. Try adding a little karo syrup to the formula a few days to prevent this from happening.

I did the mineral treatment last night with him and he did a nice plop job today. We had to use the stomach tube to feed him this morning, so I'm hoping tonight he's more himself and will start drinking again on his own. Karo syrup is a good idea. Thanks for the advice.

I've got a 2-week old holstein calf that appears to be constipated. He has no appetite problems...still drinking his milk replacer with no problems. Has access to water....appears to be drinking a little extra water...but not much. He's not eating much calf starter yet....still working on getting him going on that by giving a little handful each day.

Should I be concerned about the constipation? Or only if his appetite suffers?

Well, the little guy crapped before I even had a chance to do anything with him. Thanks for the advice....but I guess this was a case where just letting him work it out on his own was the way to go.

Latest posts