Bottle Babies

Help Support CattleToday:

My kids raised bottle calfes when they were younger wich means i did we always but grain in there mouths on day one when we brought the bottle out before we gave it to them we would but a little in there mouths we did this for a few days. Like massey said as soon as they eat 2 lbs a day we wean them, cut them back to one feeding a day for a week. Thats usually at about 7 weeks, free choice grain and hay after that. I think the biggest mistake people make is not feeding enough grain.

rnh1":1zvo5jxq said:
Who can advise on bottle feeding newborn calves? :dunce:
I have raised many succesfully. That doesn't make me an expert. I have not read any studies or research by any scientists and I don't claim to be a veteranarian. Now, with that disclaimer said, so I won't get dog-piled by some of the new experts that are showing up on this board, here is what has worked for us.
1. I don't even THINK about weaning until 10 weeks (usually around 12). Yes, the replacer is expensive, but it contains nutrients they need in a form they need, at least in a portion.
2. I always keep some calf manna in front of them, and try to get them to eat some by hand until they "get it" and start eating on their own.
3. I let them suck as much as they want early on. If all they are getting is milk (replacer), I give them all they can eat. That's what mama would do, right? Once they are on manna, start cutting back the milk.
4. I always keep fresh, clean water available.
5. After a couple weeks, put some good hay in front of them, they sometimes will start eating earlier than you would think.

I have seen too many people wean too early and stunt the calf, usually due to cost and/or inconvenience. Raising a bottle calf takes time, effort, sacrifice, and money. If you don't have even one of these things, then don't bother. Sell the calf and cut your losses. On the flip side,...it is a very rewarding adventure! Good luck and enjoy!!

I raise bottle calves for a decent amout of my living i buy all my calves at salebarns and wean 8 weaks after i buy them i feed 4 pints twice a day for 1 month then 3 twice a day for two weeks 2 pints twice a day for 1 week and then 2 once a day for a week. i get grain in there mouth in the first three days or less. fresh water two times a day and good hay all the time i keep one calf to a pen. when we wean them we deworm with cydectin injectible give type a and seven way blackleg ear tag and band. and don't ever let anyone tell you not to give a baby calf the better antibiotics like baytril or some of the others.

denvermartinfarms":eaiac85y said:
I raise bottle calves for a decent amout of my living i buy all my calves at salebarns and wean 8 weaks after i buy them i feed 4 pints twice a day for 1 month then 3 twice a day for two weeks 2 pints twice a day for 1 week and then 2 once a day for a week. i get grain in there mouth in the first three days or less. fresh water two times a day and good hay all the time i keep one calf to a pen. when we wean them we deworm with cydectin injectible give type a and seven way blackleg ear tag and band. and don't ever let anyone tell you not to give a baby calf the better antibiotics like baytril or some of the others.
It's not unusual to see 3 week old calves begin to eat grass and begin to ruminate but don't expect much intake and not muck digestion of the hay. Just keep a good 18-20% protein calf starter in front of them from day one along with free choice water. Discard any leftover at the end of each day, wash the feed buckets and put new feed and water in them. They'll eventually begin to eat more and more. Old rule of thumb was to feed one 50 lb. bag of milk replacer and then wean. Still not a bad methoid. Good luck with your bottle babies.

Welllll illll be.

For those that didn't pick it up, he said pre ruminating calves get ZERO nutrition from hay.

Now go ahead and tell the guest how many weeks 1 bag should last, TB...

TexasBred":36s2f1ly said:
denvermartinfarms":36s2f1ly said:
It's not unusual to see 3 week old calves begin to eat grass and begin to ruminate but don't expect much intake and not muck digestion of the hay. Just keep a good 18-20% protein calf starter in front of them from day one along with free choice water. Discard any leftover at the end of each day, wash the feed buckets and put new feed and water in them. They'll eventually begin to eat more and more. Old rule of thumb was to feed one 50 lb. bag of milk replacer and then wean. Still not a bad methoid. Good luck with your bottle babies.
I sure don't want this to sound wrong but i was not really asking for opinions on my operation i have raised around a 750 bottle calves in the last 4 years and have only lost 7. i was just trying tell anyone that might be new to raising baby calves what has worked for me.

Massey135":cgwxx9pf said:
Welllll illll be.

For those that didn't pick it up, he said pre ruminating calves get ZERO nutrition from hay.

Now go ahead and tell the guest how many weeks 1 bag should last, TB...

I would guess 6 weeks, because I pretty much did it that way (and with hay) when I was buying milk powder to feed calves.
I've probably raised better calves every year since though, on whole milk with an average weaning age of ten weeks.

Massey135":28ysvuwm said:
Everyone would prefer to use the whole milk - few have access to it.
I would prefer to use it. but i will say that i know alot of amish that do milk cows just to feed calves that have alot more sick and dead calves and calves that don't grow any better than mine or any others than not becuse of the milk of course but my point is if you know what you are doing they will do great with replacer.

denvermartinfarms":1j7nvgo9 said:
I sure don't want this to sound wrong but i was not really asking for opinions on my operation i have raised around a 750 bottle calves in the last 4 years and have only lost 7. i was just trying tell anyone that might be new to raising baby calves what has worked for me.

Denver, then you're obviously doing pretty much everything right assuming the calves wean off looking the way you want and weigh what they should. And you're obviously starting out with healthy calves......Don't see a reason to change a thing. Keep up the good work.

TexasBred":22ntncx7 said:
denvermartinfarms":22ntncx7 said:

Denver, then you're obviously doing pretty much everything right assuming the calves wean off looking the way you want and weigh what they should. And you're obviously starting out with healthy calves......Don't see a reason to change a thing. Keep up the good work.
thanks tb i did not mean to offend anyone i just didn't want everyone thinking i was new to this. the main reason i am on here is to try to help people that need information that i can help with.

denvermartinfarms":1kp1ddzh said:
thanks tb i did not mean to offend anyone i just didn't want everyone thinking i was new to this. the main reason i am on here is to try to help people that need information that i can help with.

Don't worry about it. Maybe they'll ask you for some tips and then actually put them into practice. ;-)

Latest posts