Bottle Feeding a Difficult Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

StrawD0g

Reaction score
I recently got two bottle calves from a local auction. One of them has taken to the bottle perfectly after coaxing him with some high-fructose corn syrup. However, our other calf will not suckle. He mouths and chews the nipple but doesn't suck. I tried the high-fructose corn syrup method with him too but it's not working.

What tips do y'all have to try to get him to suckle?
He's on the thinner side so I am concerned, .

We do have a tube bag if we need to go that far. He has been drinking water and eating the hay we provided him with. He is no more than 8 weeks old. His waste has been solid too.

I recently got two bottle calves from a local auction. One of them has taken to the bottle perfectly after coaxing him with some high-fructose corn syrup. However, our other calf will not suckle. He mouths and chews the nipple but doesn't suck. I tried the high-fructose corn syrup method with him too but it's not working.

What tips do y'all have to try to get him to suckle?
He's on the thinner side so I am concerned, .

We do have a tube bag if we need to go that far. He has been drinking water and eating the hay we provided him with. He is no more than 8 weeks old. His waste has been solid too.
If it's drinking water from a trough or pail it knows how to drink. Put the milk in a bucket and let it drink...

I usually back em in a corner. Right arm around neck. Bottle in left hand. Get the bottle in its mouth. And reach up with my right hand and gently squeeze its mouth several times.
Sometimes it takes a few minutes.
Usually the light bulb comes on!

Sometimes ya gotta just hold it there a while. But don't give up!
Screenshot_20220711-142620_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220711-142817_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220711-142643_Gallery.jpg
Once the light bulb comes on, they usually drain it! Skip one feeding so they are good and hungry.

This is my prefered method!
Screenshot_20220711-142529_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
O!
And I usually take my left hand and rub downwards on the left side/underside of the calf's neck. Encouraging them to swallow. U can usually feel/tell when that starts happening.

Latest posts