Bottle Babies

Help Support CattleToday:

Based on my experience as manager of a deacon farm for 2 years where we had 250-300 calves on milk at any given time the bottle is better.

The boss and I had differing opinions about the bottle issue (he was for the bucket I was for the bottle) we did an experiment for 2 months. Half of the calves from each farm each week were put on buckets the other half bottles. At the end of the 2 months the calves that had been on the bottle were on average 25 lbs heavier, had 75% less scours and been treated for various illnesses 60% less and death rate was 30 % less than the bucket calves. We then switched over to complete bottle feeding of the calves and saved over $5000 in medications the next year and had a 95% survival rate. We did have a machine to mix the milk replacer in but I delivered it in 5gal igloo coolers and then used a 2 qt pitcher to fill bottles 24 at a time. We carried a bucket of sanitizing rinse and bottles and nipples were sanitized between calves and refilled. It was not the easiest way but it worked and the extra maney saved got us all a raise and calves were the healthiest/heaviest calves around so it was worth it!

Feeding out of a bucket will certainly not be the demise of the calf but in my OPINION for the healthiest most profitable animal the bottle is best.

Just to clear the waters, the creditable Hereford breeder I am referring to is Knersie. Harley is the one who advised me that milk belly can come from bucket fed calves. He has giving a lot of great advice and help through the years, he's a good man. I know he doesn't post here a whole lot anymore, but he's got one of the best hereford herds I've seen ....... Wait, on page one of your "cows" thread you said you respected his opinion also.... :?

Save your apology and make one to Mistymorning for your juvenile remarks about sexual tension.

Alan

Lol...now that's funny right there... All Im sayin Alan, is that I always feel better afterwards. Calmer - more collected. It was just a suggestion.

Knersies the man when it comes to selection traits but when it comes to rearing calves- ill console with the dutch.

Perhaps he is dutch. Hmmm.

And TB, $3500 newborn calves!?!? I've seen 4-500 holsteins but ...

Massey135":1fzgsm7j said:
Lol...now that's funny right there... All Im sayin Alan, is that I always feel better afterwards. Calmer - more collected. It was just a suggestion.

shaking_head.gif

Massey135":mjsf0jvn said:
but when it comes to rearing calves- ill console with the dutch. ...
Fine. Take it from a dutchman... Bottles are better. There are are ALOT of smaller dairies(2,000 is pretty small for western state modern dairies) that get that one wrong but almost every succesful calf ranch out here has figured it out and gone back to bottles.

Massey135":1y1rgb7z said:
I've seen 4-500 holsteins but ...

Bear in mind that I have not priced any recently. When I was looking for them, they were to be nurse cow prospects and I did not want the wore out gals at the sale barn. The absolute cheapest thing I found was $1100 and that was back when beef cows were cheap. These $1100 gals were culls. Papers were not an issue as I had no intentions of getting in to any type of breeding program. I would have hated to price something with papers. $1100 was way more nickels than what I had anticipated.

Prices could have changed in the past few years. I dunno as I have not priced anything in a long time, but, based on what cutters and canners are bringing..............

Massey135":1nupsrf9 said:
My reference was feeding 20 calves at a time - mixing it up in 5 gallon buckets sure beats making 20 bottles. .
Oh man... You're even dumber than I thought. I thought you were talking about each calf halving an individual bucket, not a whole bunch of calves slobbering all over the same nipples. One of these days your buddy is going to wake up to a stack of dead calves instead of one dead calf.
The best calf guy that I know works on a nine-thousand cow jersey herd that averages sixty-five percent heifer calves. Every heifer calf is bottle raised in a hutch that has three compartments. If one calf in the hutch dies the other two get moved out and raised in the hospital row where they are spaced out further. I was told his death loss is around three percent...ON JERSEYS :nod: .

backhoeboogie":37dopsiz said:
Massey135":37dopsiz said:
I've seen 4-500 holsteins but ...

Bear in mind that I have not priced any recently. When I was looking for them, they were to be nurse cow prospects and I did not want the wore out gals at the sale barn. The absolute cheapest thing I found was $1100 and that was back when beef cows were cheap. These $1100 gals were culls. Papers were not an issue as I had no intentions of getting in to any type of breeding program. I would have hated to price something with papers. $1100 was way more nickels than what I had anticipated.

Prices could have changed in the past few years. I dunno as I have not priced anything in a long time, but, based on what cutters and canners are bringing..............
Both TB and I are talking bout week old heifer calves. Now what you think bout his $3500 claims!? Lol

CP, no nipples. They drink it.

Massey135":plis81g6 said:
CP, no nipples. They drink it.

And You think that makes it BETTER?! Dairy calves die because today is Tuesday. we don't need to add community feed buckets to that mix.
Aside from the health aspects, it's just stupid genetically... The most agressive cattle are the ones that will get all of the feed and look like replacements when in reality the best cattle may be struggling to fight with the dominant cattle.

So your under the impression that the weaker, less aggressive calves are the genetically superior? Hmmm interesting.

Massey135":29nojqbv said:
So your under the impression that the weaker, less aggressive calves are the genetically superior? Hmmm interesting.
No, I'm saying the cattle that use feed more effieciently are genetically superior and it shows up when they are calves as well.
You'll never see it if you feed a bunch out of a bucket.

Agree with cow pollinator. Massey135, your playing games is making you look ignorant.
There are people here who have been in the beef and dairy industries longer than your age.

Again, just bc you've been doing it all your life doesn't mean you've been doing it right. There are highly successful dairy operations that do it just as I've said - one of which taught me the method I've mentioned.

Really?
I've read many of yor posts and sometimes you are right and have good advice. However you have "I" trouble and that causes you to lose credibility.
Your method of raising calves by feeding in a community trough is not good management. I would hope that you wash the trough after feeding and do not allow it to sour.

That's one of the benefits of adding textured feed poured over the replacer like a cereal. The feed absorbs any moisture that would have been left before its eaten.

Funny.
That is how we raise our hogs. Feed them our extra milk with their feed.
I am having a hard time picturing baby or young calves licking the trough clean all over.

Only way it won't get licked dry is if you add too much feed to the mix. Using this technique I've been able to wean calves off replacer cold turkey as early as 5 weeks. You'll be amazed how quick it gets them eating grain.

This thread is starting to remind me of the old addage of someone working themselves to death trying to get out of a little work.

And my guess is a percentage of calves turn out doggied.

I'll keep doing the old school methods and keep getting good results.

In no way am I passionate about anything I have said in this thread as far as what is right or wrong. I am passionate about making a profit and conveying what works for me. Good experiences and bad ones.

Some dairy folks get a calf that won't nurse and they just leave it be. I get a towel and rub the thing down as if I am simulating a cow bathing a calf. That stimulates the calf and they start nursing. I have force fed a few. I don't tube them. People will argue that part too. I am okay with all arguments. What works for me may not work for someone else.

Let the debate continue. Advice is free.

Massey135":3o08nfcl said:

Knersies the man when it comes to selection traits but when it comes to rearing calves- ill console with the dutch.

Perhaps he is dutch. Hmmm.

And TB, $3500 newborn calves!?!? I've seen 4-500 holsteins but ...
Sorry you couldn't make it to our dispersal sale Massey. The public was invited and refreshments were served.

Latest posts