boots

Help Support CattleToday:

Got to wondering since some of you like the Ariats and mine were such junk that they fell apart so quickly...did a bit of research. Ariats are all made in China from Chinese leather. They are cheap foreign junk, just as I expected. Went to look where Red Wings were made, and no surprise to me, but the Red Wings were 100% made in the good ole USA from USA leather.

You may be able to get a pair of boots that are a bit cheaper when you buy those crappy Ariats - but all your getting is lower quality and one less American with a job. People complain about the economy all the time, how all the jobs are shipping overseas, but they dont change their buying habits to stop it.

Personally every chance I get I buy an American made product. If I cant buy American I at least try to buy from an American ally, like UK, Canada, etc....anything to stop China from taking more US jobs.

Marksmu you might want to look again on the Redwings. I just bought a pair of Irish Setters last year for hunting and they were made in China.

I own several pairs of Ariats for dress boots but I don't use them for work. My work boots are Rocky's oil finish ropers and they are indestructible. The only problem was I had to put some good aftermarket insoles in them for support.

marksmu":2injk0jm said:
Got to wondering since some of you like the Ariats and mine were such junk that they fell apart so quickly...did a bit of research. Ariats are all made in China from Chinese leather. They are cheap foreign junk, just as I expected. Went to look where Red Wings were made, and no surprise to me, but the Red Wings were 100% made in the good ole USA from USA leather.

You may be able to get a pair of boots that are a bit cheaper when you buy those crappy Ariats - but all your getting is lower quality and one less American with a job. People complain about the economy all the time, how all the jobs are shipping overseas, but they dont change their buying habits to stop it.

Personally every chance I get I buy an American made product. If I cant buy American I at least try to buy from an American ally, like UK, Canada, etc....anything to stop China from taking more US jobs.

I like how you say "every chance I get I buy an American made product". Right after you just told us you bought a pair of Ariats. :lol: :lol: You remind me of my Father-in-law that says the same thing. He bought his wife a honda hybrid made in Japan and an I-phone made in China recently.

Walt

Redwing shoes are all made in USA. Every shoe that says Redwing on it is made in USA. Redwing also sells Chinese made shoes I wont buy under the Irish Setter, Vasque, and Worx Brand names.

I began my buy American hunt, when Obama was elected and the economy crashed. I had a pair of Ariats prior to that time, and they were the worst boot I ever put on my foot. I only use them for wade fishing now b/c almost all the stitches have come out of them, but the rubber sole is still good.

Right now, Im wearing my red wing 1132s proudly displaying MADE IN USA right inside the upper left part of the boot. Drove to work in my F250 not some Honda or Toyota....Just bought an Explorer for my wife. She wanted the Honda SUV and I would not allow it. Ford makes nice cars, and her dad lives in Detroit, and all he does is call us up and tell us about how bad its getting there. I am trying to do my part....however little that is.

Honestly I think if everyone tried a bit harder to buy American made products we would not be in the place we are now....I have not done it my whole life, but I am doing it now so there is no pot calling the kettle black here....If you have never tried to buy non-Chinese made goods, you should. Its very difficult...very eye opening.

If something really is a cheap piece of junk, but the company stays in business, that means there is a market for that 'cheap piece of junk.' If an all-American company makes a high-quality product with well-paid employees and can stay afloat, that means there's a market for that product, too.

"Buy American" is not too different from elitist ideals like "Buy Organic" or "Buy Humane Foods". Truth is, tons of people can't afford eggs at $8 a dozen, and they are happy with their $2 eggs. People who want to buy $8 eggs shouldn't scoff at those who don't or can't. A free market means choices, and we all get to make those choices, not just people who can afford expensive goods - foreign or domestic.

That being said, people deserve the right to make informed choices, but rarely do so, even when it is possible, which is also complicated.

Made in America - of imported or domestic materials? By strictly natural-born or naturalized citizens or legal immigrants? Union or non-union emplyees? Did the manufacturing facility cause local government to force people off their family farm to build a new facility that would attract a business that would generate more tax revenue? I could go on and on.

Like most things, there's a lot more to it than a slogan.

If you were to buy an American made product from a company with well paid employee's, what's the chances of that American employee taking their spouse out for an American steak dinner on Saturday? It rolls down hill.

upfrombottom":33pv6mgz said:
If you were to buy an American made product from a company with well paid employee's, what's the chances of that American employee taking their spouse out for an American steak dinner on Saturday? It rolls down hill.

The same could be said of the consumer who bought a pair of boots that cost $50 less and was able to put that money toward a splurge dinner out or a pack of steaks for the weekend grilling.

But where would he have gotten the money to start with? If all the ranchers bought all their supplies from over seas, how long would it take for the demand for the products for which he sells to fall? I am a firm believer in what goes around comes around? Want to watch small town America dry up, come to my town where there are at least 10 factories that have closed because people made the choice to purchase foreign products to save a dollar. If there is no demand there will never be a market for boots or beef.

marksmu":tstxm0vw said:

Personally I could care less where they are made or how much they cost.......I guess every situation is different but my Ariats have lasted well, feel wonderful and I'll replace this pair with another. Can't confirm or deny source of leather so no opinion on that. As for China...they need the money too so they can keep buying our bonds (debt).....when they stop you'll be making sandals by hand out of tire tread and left over Red Wing Leather.

As for China...they need the money too so they can keep buying our bonds (debt).....when they stop you'll be making sandals by hand out of tire tread and left over Red Wing Leather.[/quote]

That sharp stick hurts....sad, but true.

I wear Red Wing 953 high tops, along with my seed corn cap, you don't get more midwestern farmer than that :lol2: .

Larry

larryshoat":a9718fb0 said:
I wear Red Wing 953 high tops, along with my seed corn cap, you don't get more midwestern farmer than that :lol2: .

Larry

Larry...do you keep a clean fresh "seed corn" cap handy for when you go to town?? ;-)

ga. prime":2k67oing said:
The DeKalb hats are the coolest, an ear of corn with wings on it.

ga...got an old friend who wears one. That thing looks like it is WWII vintage it's so old. Bet he wouldn't take $100 bill for it either. Only time I've seen him without it is in church.

TexasBred":e2dhxtls said:
larryshoat":e2dhxtls said:

Larry

Larry...do you keep a clean fresh "seed corn" cap handy for when you go to town?? ;-)

Absolutely, I keep a few brand new ones for when I really want to dress up :lol2: .

Larry

Favorite pair are Justin, 35 years old, wear two or three times a week and been resoled & heeled three or four times. Can't were Tony Lamas as I have a high arch and they never have fit all that well.
These days any boot that I can slip on and fits comfortably I like, just don't like bending over and pulling on a boot. Dmc

Latest posts