Bonsma type?

Help Support CattleToday:

Julian

Reaction score
Would you consider this fall-calving cow close enough to the Bonsma type to keep in a breeding herd?
Calf had a 74# birthweight (calved unassisted) and is 15 days old in this picture. Cow was born in 2005.
9-19-2010.jpg

Julian":s3za05t9 said:
Would you consider this fall-calving cow close enough to the Bonsma type to keep in a breeding herd?
Calf had a 74# birthweight (calved unassisted) and is 15 days old in this picture. Cow was born in 2005.
9-19-2010.jpg
Excellent type! Straight, level topline. strong spring of rib, deep heart girth, well balanced, fine functional traits, more than acceptable hindquarters - every breeder should have donors like this in their herd. Almost faultless udder!

DOC HARRIS

What is close enough to the Bonsma type? How much Bonsmara influence does she have? I love my Bonsamra cattle. She looks like a keeper to me--I agree with Doc. Of course, I am not smart enough to attach a photo.........

Bonsman":1eduny9s said:
What is close enough to the Bonsma type? How much Bonsmara influence does she have? I love my Bonsamra cattle. She looks like a keeper to me--I agree with Doc. Of course, I am not smart enough to attach a photo.........
The cow pictured is a registered Red Angus. Five years old. Three of her sons are working in breeding herds, perhaps the calf at her side right now will as well. She is the dam/granddam to calves from North Dakota to Texas. Her pedigree reads of predominant Beckton influence. She is not linebred, but is a part of our closebreeding program. The calf at her side was born unassisted at 74# and is sired by one of our home raised bulls.

Dwight, she is pretty close to the type Bonsma advocated, maybe just a little heavy in the lower neck and brisket for the purist, but looks to be the easy doing kind.

KNERSIE":2meg5wue said:
Dwight, she is pretty close to the type Bonsma advocated, maybe just a little heavy in the lower neck and brisket for the purist, but looks to be the easy doing kind.
Harley,
Like a lot of Julian B571 influenced cattle the do carry some dewlap like she does. They are not choke-fronted but it is a flaw I can live with.

Julian":2vbzylmd said:
KNERSIE":2vbzylmd said:
Harley,
Like a lot of Julian B571 influenced cattle the do carry some dewlap like she does. They are not choke-fronted but it is a flaw I can live with.

Unless the neck become bullish I don't even see it as a flaw, the dewlap never was an issue for Bonsma.

Bonsman":16wg6cna said:
She is a really nice cow.

We have had a lot of luck crossing Bonsmara and Red Angus in Alabama. In Oklahoma we cross Bonsmara and Black Angus--only becaust that is what is available.

http://www.smithbonsmara.com
The Bonsmara pictures on your link are as good as any available, another herd worth looking at for typical phenotype is that of Dr Gordon Stick in Alberta, he brought some outstanding embryos with him when he emigrated from South Africa.

I think that this thread is being misinterpreted. I inquired about the Bonsma type, not the BonsmaRA breed, but the thread can go where it chooses. A large THANK YOU for all of the positive PM's and private emails about the cow first pictured.

Dwight: She is the Bonsma type, as Harley said an almost perfect example. Therefore I think it would be in your best interest to sell her to some deserving cattleman and start over with a cow that would be more of a challenge to get back to where you are now,,, just to make life interesting.

KMac,
You wise-apple, silly duck. Thank you for the best laugh I've had so far today. :clap:
Then again, shoot me an offer on her. Maybe it might be enough for us to part with her as we have access to her first three sons and might keep her present calf for our use.

Who knows? For the right price we might even sell a flush/embryo package on her. Every person has their price.

Jovid":1g92k7tz said:
Bonsman":1g92k7tz said:
She is a really nice cow.

We have had a lot of luck crossing Bonsmara and Red Angus in Alabama. In Oklahoma we cross Bonsmara and Black Angus--only becaust that is what is available.

http://www.smithbonsmara.com

Looks like they would cross well on Red Polls.
The Bonsmara was developed as a 50% Afrikana, 25% Hereford and 25% Shorthorn, there is one bloodline in which the Hereford was substituted with Red Poll, the polled Bonsmara lines descended from this line, and are increasing in popularity.

Latest posts