Best type of bull on baldies?

Help Support CattleToday:

B&M Farms

Reaction score
I have been using a horned Hereford bulls on black Brangus cows for a while now. I am keeping several black and red baldie heifers this year and buying some F1 brafords to put with them. I have been thinking of using a LBW Black Angus bull on these heifers, but was wanting other opinions on what type of bull you would put on these heifers for a terminal cross. Thanks

think you should open them up with a lbw angus for 1st calf and then switch to char for terminals next year. those first angus sired heifer calves from the f1s might be nice keepers too. wouldn't start off with terminal type bull for the 1st calvers.

I agree with brihop. There are lots of angus bulls with low birth weights and lots of growth. Are you going to AI or buy a bull for natural service?

This will be natural service. I can find good Angus bulls that are lbw with decent ww numbers. I will be looking for pounds with this group of cows, not replacements.

I like balancer if you think you may keep a few heifers in a weak moment.
Otherwise, terminal Simi cross sells better than Char cross in this country.

It would be a Char or a fullblood Limi. The Limi would be my choice because I think you could get a much better Limi bull for the money than the Char. A full blood Gelbvieh would make a nice choice but I think the price might get a bit high... Sim wouldnt be bad but you better get a true solid color breeder, otherwise with that Hereford lurking around in the bloodline and the Sim's habit of spotting you might find your self getting docked for a set of good looking spotted calfs...and that truly sucks

I would have to say a CE Angus for the first calf and then put some punch into them every year after that by using a Black Limo. Limo will give you muscle & yield and the cows will keep the cover on your calves.

B&M Farms":160r9hdq said:
This will be natural service. I can find good Angus bulls that are lbw with decent ww numbers. I will be looking for pounds with this group of cows, not replacements.
Whatever combination of genetics you select, the first calves these heifers produce should be of moderate size to preclude later physical problems with their dams. After the first calves, carefully consider the Growth and Maternal EPD's of the now second calf production, and BALANCE their traits and characteristics by the bull(s) you plan to mate them to. If the CE, BW, and Milk EPD's are not in balance with the dams', you will exacerbate negative traits from then on. You may lose a little total pounds with the first calving, but by "easing" into their production functions, you will benefit in the long run for the rest of their productive lives.

DOC HARRIS

With our baldies we use either Gelbviegh or Simmenthal. When we still retained ownership to slaughter we had better quality grades with the Simmenthal then Gelbvieh, yield grade ran about the same.

dun":bp2jkobr said:
With our baldies we use either Gelbviegh or Simmenthal. When we still retained ownership to slaughter we had better quality grades with the Simmenthal then Gelbvieh, yield grade ran about the same.

How would you compare the replacement heifer quality?

brihop":1bk56ctb said:
think you should open them up with a lbw angus for 1st calf and then switch to char for terminals next year. those first angus sired heifer calves from the f1s might be nice keepers too. wouldn't start off with terminal type bull for the 1st calvers.
:nod: :nod:

Stocker Steve":18khw94v said:
dun":18khw94v said:

Pretty much a wash. Through the years it seems like Gelbvieh payed more attention to udders then Simmenthals but that difference may be gone by now.

dun":pdnn3kdg said:
Stocker Steve":pdnn3kdg said:
dun":pdnn3kdg said:

Pretty much a wash. Through the years it seems like Gelbvieh payed more attention to udders then Simmenthals but that difference may be gone by now.

Did you see a difference in mothering or calf survival?

Stocker Steve":4n510g23 said:
Did you see a difference in mothering or calf survival?
Nope, and they seemed to run around 60% or a little over for calf weaning weight as first calvers.
Haven;t looked at the numbers since then.

Latest posts