Body score

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know, something sounds really dodgy here. Could johnes be a factor? If she is struggling to walk there is something wrong. They should have informed you of her condition and you have every right to be angry. Taking action will probably not end well for you. I would take above advice and have her identity looked at. As for her future i think she will be fine if she is already picking up as fast as you say. I aquired two cows that would have been in bsc 2, you could rub them and leave a bald spot. I will see if i can find a photo. They calved two months after that! But on my pasture they put on condition so fast six months later they were back in calf and raising great calves with a bsc of 6. They both calved each year for another 7 years. My concern for you is there is more going on than meets the eye health wise.

callmefence said:
All I got to say is a open dry cow don't require much to maintain.
1st two trimesters yes...last trimester is a different story and especially regarding 2 yr olds and until they're approaching maturity but I get your point.
Waiting with bated breath for our friend Boomers to make her 5th post so she can post relevent pics, her cow's registration papers and hopefully the DVM's official report.

76 Bar said:
callmefence said:
All I got to say is a open dry cow don't require much to maintain.
1st two trimesters yes...last trimester is a different story and especially regarding 2 yr olds and until they're approaching maturity but I get your point.
Waiting with bated breath for our friend Boomers to make her 5th post so she can post relevent pics, her cow's registration papers and hopefully the DVM's official report.
Yeah umm... so a cow in a trimester wouldn't be called open or going to see a bull.

Apologies Fence...misinterpreted your comment. Agree...open drys in decent condition can subsist on minimal nutritional inputs. :hide:

Redgully said:
76 Bar said:
Hmmmm...Boomer has vanished. And to think, she was just one post short of being able to enlighten us with pics. :nod:

Dammit, really wanted to see those pics to get a clearer picture of what was really going on.

Me too but don't hold your breath. ;-)

Ryder said:
I might get in a squabble to get justice for myself but not for a cow. It is just business.
Anthropomorphic thinking leads to poor decisions in the cattle business.
I'd probably agree with you Ryder if I knew what that word means.

Ken

Anthropomorphism-when animals or non-human characters are given human characteristics
I had to look it up too.

I'm not sure whether or not it was a real post either, but I suspect it was. In my opinion, she quit posting when she did not get the overwhelming validation she was looking for. I understand her anger, but I don't think there is much she can do about it that would not cost her substantially more than what the cow is worth. I hope the cow recovers with good feed, but the way she described her would make me believe the problem went beyond starvation. Pictures and a video of her movement would have been very helpful.

Yes it boils down to the fact if you own an animal you are responsible for its care. If you delegate that care to someone else it is your responsibility to ensure things are going OK no matter what your personal circumstances are. I don't think that is what she wants to hear. Trying to seek redress is probably to satisfy her feeling of guilt. It sounds like these were unfortunate circumstances but that is the way it is.

Ken

Latest posts