How old to pelvic measure and tract score

Help Support CattleToday:

T & B farms

Reaction score
How young is too young to pelvic measure and track score your heifers? I've always done it at 13-14 months right before breeding. This year I would like to do it a little earlier so I can ship the ones that don't pass with the rest of the feeders. Usually I have 4-5 that get sorted off and sold later, usually for quite a bit less than the big group brings.
My replacement heifer group was born 2/10-3/15 of last year. Will I unnessisarly cull a few doing it at a little over 10 months? Will their pelvic measurements been much smaller now than they will be in 90 days? I don't have a lot of spares this year, so I'm needing the bulk of them to pass. I have saw a few of them cycling already.
They are angus and f1 angus Hereford heifers.

I have mine measured when they get their BANGS at 11 months. Yes, the measurements will be smaller but you & your vet can calculate up & make the final decision. My goal at 11 months is 150 but I've retained smaller with no problem using a calving ease bull.

T & B farms":o7a5w1s8 said:
Would you guys cull for one not cycling at 10-11 months?

No. Because you might have missed it. Furthermore, the heifer I sold to Fire Sweep did not cycle until late and she stuck on their first AI.

Bright Raven":1gj4t2tj said:
T & B farms":1gj4t2tj said:

No. Because you might have missed it. Furthermore, the heifer I sold to Fire Sweep did not cycle until late and she stuck on their first AI.

Last question.
On one that is not cycling when you check them at 1 year, do you recheck her? Or just set her up to breed?

These heifers will be ai bred on April 5th then shipped to pasture 30 miles from home. So there will be no preg checking till late fall. Trying to avoid as many opens as possible

T & B farms":23tt21fx said:
Bright Raven":23tt21fx said:
T & B farms":23tt21fx said:

Last question.
On one that is not cycling when you check them at 1 year, do you recheck her? Or just set her up to breed?

These heifers will be ai bred on April 5th then shipped to pasture 30 miles from home. So there will be no preg checking till late fall. Trying to avoid as many opens as possible

If you have not observed a heat at 12 months, watch her close until she reaches 15 months. Likely, you will catch a cycle. In addition, if a vet is coming out to do the pelvic measurements, have him score her reproductive tract. That will provide valuable information. She might have a congenital defect. Hope not. How old will they be on April 5th?

Bright Raven":3fictkw1 said:
T & B farms":3fictkw1 said:
Bright Raven":3fictkw1 said:

Last question.

If you have not observed a heat at 12 months, watch her close until she reaches 15 months. Likely, you will catch a cycle. In addition, if a vet is coming out to do the pelvic measurements, have him score her reproductive tract. That will provide valuable information. She might have a congenital defect. Hope not. How old will they be on April 5th?

They will be 13-14 months then. They are growing very well, already around 800lbs

T & B farms":taupapnp said:
Bright Raven":taupapnp said:
T & B farms":taupapnp said:
Last question.

They will be 13-14 months then. They are growing very well, already around 800lbs

You got a couple more months to heat check. Are you doing the pelvic measurements and tract scores this month? I assume you are setting them up for synchronization and breeding them all on April 5th.

Bright Raven":3q5oteuz said:
T & B farms":3q5oteuz said:
Bright Raven":3q5oteuz said:

You got a couple more months to heat check. Are you doing the pelvic measurements and tract scores this month? I assume you are setting them up for synchronization and breeding them all on April 5th.

Yes, was going to get them checked late this week. I will sync them and heat check around April 5th.

T & B farms":un3th9kl said:
Bright Raven":un3th9kl said:
T & B farms":un3th9kl said:

Yes, was going to get them checked late this week. I will sync them and heat check around April 5th.

When he does the reproductive tract score, you will have a good data point on her potential to be fertile. He might be able to detect a Corpus Luteum to affirm she has cycled.

Bright Raven":1ji6z5kt said:
T & B farms":1ji6z5kt said:
Bright Raven":1ji6z5kt said:

When he does the reproductive tract score, you will have a good data point on her potential to be fertile. He might be able to detect a Corpus Luteum to affirm she has cycled.

Thank you very much for the help. That answers my questions.

Bright Raven":3bhjugee said:
T & B farms":3bhjugee said:

Bingo! I check mine daily but not 24/7. I lute my heifers at weaning so my retainers generally cycle in sync but I don't AI so keeping track is not a priority for me.

Latest posts