Blue Sky

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
It was blue sky and 48 degrees this afternoon. Seems like it has been grey skies for over a month. At about 10 minutes til 3:00 I noticed the sun was still hitting the house. Late December the sun goes behind the hills at 2:00. Spring is on its way. I know it will be another month or two but it sure felt like it this afternoon. Patty and I did the afternoon calf check on the quad. Ended up tour the entire field. Checked the fences and ditches. Just felt good to be out in it. Weather underground says that tomorrow will be 2 minutes and 40 seconds longer than today.

It's been in the 60s here off and on for several days, I took off work Friday and today to dig and install 1500' of water line on my newest place over the weekend. It was very nice weather today and Friday, made me ready for spring for sure, cloudy all day Saturday and rained on us Saturday evening, rained a lot yesterday.

About 7:00 I noticed that the sidewalk was wet. The 6 steps to the garage I got hit by 5 rain drops. So much for things drying out some. Then about 8:30 we saw a dozen or more lightning flashes. All the hills above 4,000 feet are white and down in the valley it is a soggy mess so no chance of a fire starting. But it is strange to see lightning this time of the year.

Was a nice day today. Somewhere around 70F with little to no wind. lit up some brush piles from downed trees and limbs.

It's been in the 60s here off and on for several days, I took off work Friday and today to dig and install 1500' of water line on my newest place over the weekend. It was very nice weather today and Friday, made me ready for spring for sure, cloudy all day Saturday and rained on us Saturday evening, rained a lot yesterday.
Where is the new place at?

Where is the new place at?
It's a piece of property that joins my place that we bought a few years ago. It was overgrown with gum,cedar and briars when I bought it. It was so thick that you could barely walk through it and in places you couldn't. I rented a 308 cat (10 ton) excavator for a week and got it cleaned up nice right after I bought it now I'm getting all the fences and water put in so I can graze it this year. I got an NRCS grant for water and fence off woods and put in a water lane.

It's a piece of property that joins my place that we bought a few years ago. It was overgrown with gum,cedar and briars when I bought it. It was so thick that you could barely walk through it and in places you couldn't. I rented a 308 cat (10 ton) excavator for a week and got it cleaned up nice right after I bought it now I'm getting all the fences and water put in so I can graze it this year. I got an NRCS grant for water and fence off woods and put in a water lane.
Nice. You are around Heber if I remember correctly? I live in Greenbrier.

Is Heber a different place than Heber Springs? Took grandkids to a model railroad museum there some years ago.
Went to Greers ferry lake afterwards. It was crowded is about all I remember.

Is Heber a different place than Heber Springs? Took grandkids to a model railroad museum there some years ago.
Went to Greers ferry lake afterwards. It was crowded is about all I remember.
Same place, us locals just shorten it to Heber. Yes the lake is always crowded between Memorial weekend and Labor day.

Our farm is 2.5 miles from Ash Flat, so we do all our business there. Have had lunch a few times at Pruitt's.
I've never `been in the barn at Pruitt's but bought some cows there, had Lane the owner buy them for me and one of his guys delivered them. I've bought a few at Clinton, it's an old barn but Josh the owner seems like a really nice guy and seems honest, they sale on Saturdays which I like because I'm off work. I've always done business at Cleburne County Livestock but as you probably know it burned back in August but they are in the process of rebuilding and plan to hold the annual Arkansas bull sale there end of March. I always loved do business with the Holmes family when they owned Cleburne County but they sold out to Blake Wilfe from Pleasant Plains a few months before it burned. The Holmes family always treated me well and made me feel important even though in comparison to most of the people they dealt with I am small time. I am glad it is being built back though I feel they will have a hard time getting some of their sellers back being new owners. I know some went to Clinton and are real happy with their prices and said they will stay there, most like me work during the week and can make the Saturday sale as well. I've never been to the barn at Ash Flat but have passed by, looks like a real nice facility.

I need to try and come up to the bull sale this year. I always plan on going then something comes up. A personal experience goes a long ways. The nix family runs the ash flat barn, on their 3rd family generation. I am small time as well but they always make it a point to talk about what I am selling in and out of the ring. If I come up to the bull sale this year I will let you know, be happy to shake a hand.

About 7:00 I noticed that the sidewalk was wet. The 6 steps to the garage I got hit by 5 rain drops. So much for things drying out some. Then about 8:30 we saw a dozen or more lightning flashes. All the hills above 4,000 feet are white and down in the valley it is a soggy mess so no chance of a fire starting. But it is strange to see lightning this time of the year.
Nothing wrong with the Lord sending you plenty of nitrogen in the rain drops from that electricity. He prepares you for the upcoming planting of the spring. I always think of that when I hear the thunder roll. I love storms but wish for no damage. A good thunderstorm is so nice.

Wow, that will be so nice. To dream of things and making your land better is great. Then get to follow through is so rewarding. Have a good time.

I need to try and come up to the bull sale this year. I always plan on going then something comes up. A personal experience goes a long ways. The nix family runs the ash flat barn, on their 3rd family generation. I am small time as well but they always make it a point to talk about what I am selling in and out of the ring. If I come up to the bull sale this year I will let you know, be happy to shake a hand.
Sounds good.

Nothing wrong with the Lord sending you plenty of nitrogen in the rain drops from that electricity. He prepares you for the upcoming planting of the spring. I always think of that when I hear the thunder roll. I love storms but wish for no damage. A good thunderstorm is so nice.
There is most certainly no planting going to occur where that lightning was going on. It is all steep range land. So much for our blue sky and drying out. Yesterday morning while feeding it was snowing. Just a skiff and it was gone by noon. It is still dark out but every thing looks white again this morning. So much for spring. It appears that it is still winter.

Latest posts