blue green algae?

Help Support CattleToday:

milesvb

Reaction score
This is the only time I've seen a phenomenon like this in one of our tanks. Is this the dreaded blue geen algae that's supposed to kill the dickens out of whatever drinks it? If so, should I hit it with copper sulfate or will killing it off suddenly release more of the toxins in the water? If it's so deadly, why aren't there deer, hogs, and other critters laying dead around the pasture?

Thanks ahead of time for any info. about this stuff.

P9190317.jpg

P9190316.jpg

P9190315.jpg

It's nasty for them to drink, but it's more toxic to fish then anything else

dun

The blue-green algae reproduces when temperature is around 65-85 deg. F. Mostly maintained due to stagnation of water that is not moving. Aeration is best solution; however, pond "fountains" can be expensive. Other partial solution is to add some of the VERY dark blue liquid or crystals to the pond: these block the wavelength of light that facilitates photosynthesis. These "safe" chemicals (not copper) are generally safer for animals to drink. We have used these blue crystals for several years without ill effects.

On brand is called "Aquashade" which is available from some farm & ranch stores as well as on the internet. It takes very little (1 gal of liquid or 1 packet of dry crystals) to treate one acre foot of water (approx. 43560 sq ft of surface).

Caveat: This material is HIGHLY concentrated and even one of the small crystals can stain you or clothing seriously. Once it is in solution the color is relatively resistant to transfering to you or other objects. On one of our 400 gal steel tanks, we use about 1 teaspoon of crystals then filling the tank will diffuse the color throughout the tank.

If you put it in a pond then you need a small boat to run around while pouring (or sprinkling) a little here and there. Normal convection movement of water will disperse it over time.

Finally, pond "aeration" is best "relatively permanent" solution to keeping the algae down.

Hope this helps!

Keep your animals out of the pond will help also. I use a windmill to pump air for pond aeration and water to a trough. I've had it up over 8 years with no problems.

milesvb
is it just floating on the water? or is it mixed with the water?
when you get some on your finger is it like little balls?
like this?
watermeal2.jpg

Livestock deaths may be caused by Cyanobacteria (Animal health)
By Drovers staff (Sunday, October 08, 2006)

Drinking stagnant pond water during hot, dry weather can cause death in animals, according to Charles Stoltenow, North Dakota State University Extension Service veterinarian. "The water can contain certain species of Cyanobacteria (formerly known as blue-green algae) that typically grows in stagnant warm pond water."

Signs of Cyanobacteria poisoning include nervous derangement, staggering, tremors and severe abdominal pain. The toxins are also poisonous to humans. Take note of any dead wildlife around bodies of water, Stoltenow advises. A close watch for unexplained livestock deaths is also important. Consult a veterinarian to find a cause of death so steps can be taken to prevent additional livestock deaths.

dj":73kcfg7k said:
milesvb
is it just floating on the water? or is it mixed with the water?
when you get some on your finger is it like little balls?
like this?

I haven't looked that closely but it appears to be in the top 1/8" layer of the water. The water under the surface is clean. It sometimes turns rusty colored and builds up at the edges. It doesn't form any stringy mats like filamentous algea. I think I'm going to try some copper sulfate or cutrine and let it sit for a week or so before turning in cattle.

Thanks again for the info., folks.

2 of our tanks have that too and I've never had a problem with the cattle drinking it in the past but then again, the tanks are lower this year then I've even seen them.

milesvb what I have and described is water meal.
Reward works on it but the cost is sky high.

Thanks to one of those big gray cranes I find something
new every year. This year it was sagitaria(sp) the arrowhead looking stuff. Got it killed (hopefully) before it gained a foothold.

Latest posts