bloody nose

Help Support CattleToday:

kansasbeef

Reaction score
I've been watching a heifer for about a week with an bloody nose one day, fine the next day, then a day or two later and another bloody nose (dripping). Seen her actually bleeding twice, and another day found some dried blood in a empty trough, but immediately checked her and she was clear. Bleeding is just from one nostril and I got a good close look up it when she was fine yesterday and couldn't see any cuts. She was fine today too. Condition and appetite are great. Should I call the vet? couldn't find anything out about it on the net. Been real dry here for the last month with only a half inch of rain.

Thanks!
KansasBeef

I have a cow that is doing this also and did it last spring too. I tend to think the one I have is from pollen and allergies more than anything. I've also seen her at small trees running twigs up her nose to scratch it and think this is what may be causing the bleeding. She eats and drinks normal and doesn't seem to have any other problems. I would say keep a close eye on her and if she doesn't get any worse don't worry about it. If it would ease your mind you could always load her up and have her checked out by your vet, in that case let us know what you find out.

Over the years I have seen a few head like this. Vet almost always says that a cyst is growing in the nasal passage. If this were the case and I was you, if it was a replacement heifer, ship it. If it is a feeder, your vet should be able to tell you if she will make it to market with the rest of the group. We give excenel and banamine to treat it. All that does his stop the bleeding for a while. I'm sure it could be other things also, so a call to the vet would be the best.

Had a cow that had similar sounding nose bleeds. One day she'd be fine, the next she might be bleeding. Checked in her nose several times and never found anything so I just let it go.

She calved about 3 weeks ago and I don't think she has had a bloody nose since. Could have been somehting else, like weather or not eating hay anymore too but who knows.