Blood on tail - 3 year old char/angus cross cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Dropmore Dave

Reaction score
Due to start calving in early april and just noticed a cow with a small amount of blood on her tail. No obvious signs of abortion and otherwise she appears health. She is eating and mingling with the others. Have not had her preg checked but by the size of her she does appear to be pregnant but shows no signs of having a premature calf. Other than this small amount of blood on her tail I'am not overly concerned but would like to here what others have to say. Thanks in advance.

Dave

She could have just been in heat...sometimes you will see a little blood on there backend/tail a few days after going out of heat.

I'am fairly confident that she is pregnant and therefore hopfully she is not in heat. The size of her would suggest that she is pregnant and will be one of my first to calf. However, till she calfs we'll never know for sure without having her preg checked.

I notice it occassionly with bre heifers. I just figured it pieces and parts stretching and maybe popping little blood vessels.
They
re gone on to calve OK when they were ready.

I had one with blood on her tail and it turns out that she had caught her tail on something and cut it, so it could be something not even related to her being bred.

Latest posts