Blood in urine

Help Support CattleToday:

OvertonAngus

Reaction score
I was checking my cows yesterday and one of the cows peed while I was standing close and I noticed there was a significant amount of blood in it. She has a decent size calf on her and the harder weather we've had lately has her pulled down. Is a bladder infection a possible answer? I know I'm not giving much info but it's all I have to go on right now till I can get her caught and checked out further. If it is a bladder infection what would the best medicine be to give her?

Lucky_P":3va0zizj said:
dun,
I see an occasional cow at necropsy with pyelonephritis - most of the time, because the owners weren't really noticing the cows - just counting heads - they die without them noticing anything about them. An observant stockperson would have, though...
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/urinary ... ritis.html
That's why I asked. If she's a week or so past calving then I would lean towards part of the cleaning process. Any longer and it's something that needs tending to. Also if it's bright blood or older brownish blood.

She calved the last week of September. She cleaned off real quick after calving. The blood seemed fairly dark. She's eating and drinking but she's not feeling good.

OvertonAngus":37dfxkwk said:
She calved the last week of September. She cleaned off real quick after calving. The blood seemed fairly dark. She's eating and drinking but she's not feeling good.
Calving that long ago she needs some attention, a vet would be a good idea.

It didn't seem like clots coming out if that's what your talking about Ken. It's just seemed like urine mixed with blood. I don't have a head catch out there but if anyone has a IM recommendation that would help start treating it Id love to hear it. I appreciate all the input guys.

Given the range of possibilities, including leptospirosis, pyelonephritis, redwater, bracken fern poisoning, copper toxicity, onion/garlic toxicity, trauma, and coagulation disorders (e.g. eating rat poison or moldy sweet clover)... your best bet is taking her to your vet.

Latest posts