bloating steers

Help Support CattleToday:

jal

Reaction score
we have had 2 11 month old steers come down with bloating systoms but for no reason. no grass just good clean grass hay one steer stayed at the vet for 3 days with no improvement. the vet has given up any suggestions would be accepted. is there any strange bacterial infections that would cause bloating. no fever-not eating-very little poop and hard-just standing around filling up with gas, time is running out on these 2 guys

I am suprized the vet had no answers he is a trained medical professional. Just some thoughts from my self i am no vet. but think about it. could it be they are bunged up, are they getting cobalt salt and alot of water. is the hay fairly coarse? Is the manure fairly hard? Can the rumen be heard turning? are they chewing cud? Could it be a vagus nerve problem ?

the hay is a grass clover mix it not as coarse as alfafla or oat hay. they've been eating it since october, i cant understand why it would bother them now. there not chewing cud-there not eating. we have been tubing them and been giving them epson salt water and water with mineral oil. the vet thought they might have swallowed plastic bale twine but we are very careful when feeding. and why would 2 of them swallow twine in the same week?? what is a vague nerve problem??

Could swallowing bale twine cause bloaing? We found a cow today puffed up just about as wide as she is tall. Can't figure out what she may have bloated on. She's getting alfalfa/grass hay, fescue hay and gluten pellets. The pasture here is barely beginning to green. Some of the last hay we bought was hard to get all the twine out. We've been watching for it carefully, but could have missed some.

jal":1r0vrmq8 said:
the hay is a grass clover mix it not as coarse as alfafla or oat hay.

How much clover? Clover is a legume, just like alfalfa, and can cause bloating. Have you tried putting out bloat blocks?

they've been eating it since october, i cant understand why it would bother them now.

Has your weather been cold lately? If so, they could simply be eating more to keep up with energy requirements and that would do it - especially with a fine type of hay. Of course, I could also be wrong on that.

Latest posts