Steers not shedding

Help Support CattleToday:

Chocolate Cow2

Reaction score
I've got steers out on grass and they're not shedding their winter coats. They have mineral. Grass is belly deep. They've been vaccinated and wormed. Is it just the crazy weather year or will they get around to shedding eventually? They look like rusted brillo pads.

Next year someone else will own them. Or that's the plan anyway. Hopefully, they sell for more than what I paid for them.

Some shed and some don't, doesn't affect what they'll bring in the ring. If they got the makeup they'll do fine, don't worry about haircoat.

Thanks snoopdog. That was my concern. Them looking rough in the sale ring. It'll be awhile before they're sold so they still have time. Our weather has been so goofy that may be part of it. I'm too far west for fescue, BR. I'm on the western edge of Kansas' tall grass prairie and the eastern edge of the short grass county. Little Blue, Big Blue, Indian grass, buffalo grass, legumes.

I have a bunch that haven't shed out yet either, first timer's especially look a bit ragged, old cows are all slick.

Chocolate Cow2 said:
I've got steers out on grass and they're not shedding their winter coats. They have mineral. Grass is belly deep. They've been vaccinated and wormed. Is it just the crazy weather year or will they get around to shedding eventually? They look like rusted brillo pads.

They want you to grain them every day.

Chocolate Cow2 said:

Black cattle with a red tinge?

Two percent of my cows have not shed out, and they are on the cull list. They are all English/Continental crosses that seem to have gotten the wrong genes. Damm cross breds. :cowboy: Dry lot bulls were rough this spring after wintering on cow hay. I gave them each a gallon of oats per day and they shined right up.

If you want to try to slick up yearlings w/o grain, you have to leave more residual in the pasture at the end of the grazing period so they can select the ice cream grass and clover. Stocker ADG is all about maintenance energy and pasture residual.

Yes. Mostly blacks. Their hair coat has the appearance of a rusted Brillo pad. Reddish, dry, rough. There are 85 on 320 acres. 3 ponds, one fresh water well source and trees scattered throughout. Free choice mineral & salt.
TC-we've been cool up till maybe a week ago or so. Just like you. The cows have slicked off good but these steers... Maybe they need more copper in their mineral?

Somebody the other day said they had that problem with calves not shedding and was advised to worm the with fenbendazole, said they cleaned up after wards.

Chocolate Cow2 said:
Yes. Mostly blacks. Their hair coat has the appearance of a rusted Brillo pad. Reddish, dry, rough. There are 85 on 320 acres. 3 ponds, one fresh water well source and trees scattered throughout. Free choice mineral & salt.
TC-we've been cool up till maybe a week ago or so. Just like you. The cows have slicked off good but these steers... Maybe they need more copper in their mineral?

Bingo! That hair coat is the first indicator of copper shortage.

gcreekrch said:
Chocolate Cow2 said:

Bingo! That hair coat is the first indicator of copper shortage.
Good to know, thanks!

We have some with the rough reddish coat. I see it more in calves from certain sires. We checked 4 groups last evening. Calves in the same pasture, same age will have the hair coat while their mates sired by a different sire won't. Many of them are the growthiest calves in their pastures. So I personally don't worry about it.

Latest posts