Bloated Calf need an opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
Well I have a 500-600 lb bull calf that was bloated very badly on last monday. I took him to the vet and he tubed him and all has been fine until tonight ( bloated again). I took him off feed and was just giving him hay and water.

Now for the question. I had to tube him tonight because the vet couldnt get here. I had to use a garden hose ( old small one). I put alcohol on everthing and even in the hose before I put it in calf. Calf looks better but was wondering if I should give him some kind of antibiotic ( L A 200 ) or just wait and see. I dont have anything else available tonight. ??? JHH

PS had bad experience with my herd bull tonight also ( HE GOES TO TOWN SAT IF I CAN GET HIM LOADED WITH OUT GETTING HURT). JHH

Sorry to hear about your bull I hope everyone is alright. You dont need to worry about giving your calf a antibiotic as far as him being tubed is concerned. Is there some other reason you feel he needs one?

S.R.R.":3hum0kii said:
Sorry to hear about your bull I hope everyone is alright. You dont need to worry about giving your calf a antibiotic as far as him being tubed is concerned. Is there some other reason you feel he needs one?

No other reason than I used a garden hose ( I did put alcohol through it and over it) Just didnt seem to sanitary and was worried about infection of some sort?

JHH

I'm sure that calf has touched, tasted, and eaten a lot more unsanitary things than what you put down him with the hose. ;-)

milkmaid":1wv0tjes said:
I'm sure that calf has touched, tasted, and eaten a lot more unsanitary things than what you put down him with the hose. ;-)

Thanks Milkmaid guess your right, just trying my best to keep everthing alive and well.

JHH

JHH":227b0v2e said:
milkmaid":227b0v2e said:

Thanks Milkmaid guess your right, just trying my best to keep everthing alive and well.

JHH

Nothing wrong with that. :)

I have the little guy penned up with just water right now . Just kind of worried about him. I have done everthing to the best of my ability. Think he will be ok. ?

I guess he got some alfalfa hay sunday that is why he bloated up I am sure. JHH

JHH":3aa3814w said:
I have done everthing to the best of my ability. Think he will be ok. ?

All you can do is your best. If the bloat went down (I'm thinking it did, since you didn't post anything to the contrary) after you tubed him and he doesn't have feed now, I would think he will be ok.

PS It has been my experience that some calves bloat just because they have nothing better to do. :lol: :lol:

msscamp":2w6yyec9 said:
JHH":2w6yyec9 said:

All you can do is your best. If the bloat went down (I'm thinking it did, since you didn't post anything to the contrary) after you tubed him and he doesn't have feed now, I would think he will be ok.

PS It has been my experience that some calves bloat just because they have nothing better to do. :lol: :lol:

Thanks that makes me feel alot better.

P.S. about the herd bull I think I might have to switch to a more docile breed thinking about murry greys :D

JHH":28ymvzul said:
msscamp":28ymvzul said:
JHH":28ymvzul said:

P.S. about the herd bull I think I might have to switch to a more docile breed thinking about murry greys :D

Good for you! They are an excellent breed and have done very well for us for almost 40 years now. ;-) May I ask what happened with the herd bull?

Is this 6 month old calf on grain?? Did it bloat just on the alfalfa hay? Some calves are "bloaters", and they are best harvested early. They can put a "permanent" tube in their side to constantly release the pressure.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":daaampde said:
Is this 6 month old calf on grain?? Did it bloat just on the alfalfa hay? Some calves are "bloaters", and they are best harvested early. They can put a "permanent" tube in their side to constantly release the pressure.

Yes he was on a three way feed but has been since Dec.
My daughter and I thought we might show him in the open show as a bull but he is going to town sat also. He seems better this morning.

JHH

JHH":1cpb4bli said:
msscamp":1cpb4bli said:
JHH":1cpb4bli said:

Excellent choice!!! ;-) :D :) :cboy:

Well I got the little bull that was bloating taken to the salebarn but not the herd bull. It rained all weekend and I didnt mess with him. Amazing how a little time and rain will change your plans. He will still be going soon.

JHH

P.S. Little bull weighed 580 lbs, and I talked to the people late yesterday and he only brought .89 lb. Well at least I wont have to worry about him bloating up anymore.

Latest posts