bloat blocks

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I've been using sweetlix bloat blocks while my bulls are on second cutting alffalfa hay (yes, I know it's of arguable value since hay doesn't usually cause bloat..... but one dead bull buys a lot of mineral).

Question - the label says they need to eat 0.5 lb/head/day for 1000 lb animal. My bulls are eating on half that rate at best. They being offered according to label and are positioned very conveniently near food and water. Just not interested. Any idea if they still provide any value at half the recommended dosage? I suspect not. It's probably also because they are on good hay they don't have the mineral pull.

And/or maybe that they've been on the hay now for a couple weeks and are used to it, there really isn't a need?

I just chucked the block in with my cattle. They licked it or they didn't. I didn't lose much sleep on it.

no need to worry about bloat in dried alfalfa . It has been the primary winter fed for over 100 years in this area . Never ever saw or even heard of a cattle bloating on bales alfalfa.

no need to worry about bloat in dried alfalfa . It has been the primary winter fed for over 100 years in this area . Never ever saw or even heard of a cattle bloating on bales alfalfa.
I've had it happen on alfalfa bales. All the time, actually. Just give them a bloat block and the problem solves itself.

Using a block to get anything into cattle doesn't work well. They get tired of licking and leave.
The best thing is to put out loose mineral.

Using a block to get anything into cattle doesn't work well. They get tired of licking and leave.
The best thing is to put out loose mineral.
Hard to get them to eat mineral many times as well. I've not seen a mineral with poloxalene in the ingredients which is the common bloat preventive. Most of these pressed blocks like the one Sweetlix makes they will actually bite off pieces of it rather than licking as it has some pretty tasty ingredients in addition to all the additives, vitamins and minerals.

Hard to get them to eat mineral many times as well. I've not seen a mineral with poloxalene in the ingredients which is the common bloat preventive. Most of these pressed blocks like the one Sweetlix makes they will actually bite off pieces of it rather than licking as it has some pretty tasty ingredients in addition to all the additives, vitamins and minerals.
There is mineral that contains poloxalene.

Latest posts