Mineral blocks

Help Support CattleToday:

the only true way to test mineral is with a liver biopsy. Simple procedure but by a vet. They can test blood, but it is not really accurate.
I am a strong believer that a cow DOES regulate how much they consume by their needs. We feed loose mineral 24/7/12. Consumption varies with available food sources - winter hay feeding - spring lush grass - summer slump grass, etc.

elkwc said:
We keep out salt and mineral blocks along with a quality loose mineral and either an iodine block or a loose salt with Eddi in it. It has worked well for us. Consumption of each varies. I'm still a believer that they consume what they need.

I keep out a good mineral and I put out white salt blocks and red salt trace blocks. What I've found Is my cows prefer the red trace blocks over the white salt blocks I know they are basically the same thing but I can put them side by side the red block will be gone first maybe it's the color or the taste I'm not sure

What Jeanne said... Liver biopsy (or liver sample from one that died on-farm, or was sent to slaughter).
Blood tests for some minerals are OK... but for many important ones, like copper... until liver stores are completely GONE, blood levels will be within the normal range; blood test doesn't really give you the 'real story'.
Michigan St. U. Vet. Diagnostic lab (Cornell is probably comparable, sheep/goat folks really like Washington St.) is where I usually recommended our clients send liver samples for analysis... seems like it was about $50.

DCA farm said:
elkwc said:
We keep out salt and mineral blocks along with a quality loose mineral and either an iodine block or a loose salt with Eddi in it. It has worked well for us. Consumption of each varies. I'm still a believer that they consume what they need.

I keep out a good mineral and I put out white salt blocks and red salt trace blocks. What I've found Is my cows prefer the red trace blocks over the white salt blocks I know they are basically the same thing but I can put them side by side the red block will be gone first maybe it's the color or the taste I'm not sure

We have always kept out the yellow block, a white block and a trace mineral block. We do put out an Iodibe block also some now. Where I have the dovided mineral feeders I put out a loose salt with Eddi. Where we don't I put out iodine blocks. We had been having wart issues but since offering a source of iodine we have only one case. We will see times when the yellow blocks go fastest then it will be another and then in the spring and fall they will consume the Vita Ferm heavier.

I would think that the reason they consume the Vita Ferm heavier is that are taking in the mineral that they need. Trace mineral blocks and sulfer blocks are all 97% salt. Salt is what cows crave and they will bypass minerals to take in the salt. A good loose mineral has salt included which is why there is no need to put out salt blocks with a good loose mineral.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
the only true way to test mineral is with a liver biopsy. Simple procedure but by a vet. They can test blood, but it is not really accurate.
I am a strong believer that a cow DOES regulate how much they consume by their needs. We feed loose mineral 24/7/12. Consumption varies with available food sources - winter hay feeding - spring lush grass - summer slump grass, etc.

I'm no expert in this, but you are right. We do see them eat less mineral during late spring thru mid summer. When we hit our late August slump in grass (due to heat and being dry), cows will consume a lot more mineral typically thru October. We begin typically feeding cake in November, which has added vitamins etc.

kilroy60 said:
I would think that the reason they consume the Vita Ferm heavier is that are taking in the mineral that they need. Trace mineral blocks and sulfer blocks are all 97% salt. Salt is what cows crave and they will bypass minerals to take in the salt. A good loose mineral has salt included which is why there is no need to put out salt blocks with a good loose mineral.

Kilroy, we mix loose salt with our loose mineral. If not, they will consume a bag in a day regardless of the need or time of year. Are you saying your mineral has enough of a salt limiter to where this doesn't happen with your cattle? Thanks.

Coosh71 said:
kilroy60 said:

Kilroy, we mix loose salt with our loose mineral. If not, they will consume a bag in a day regardless of the need or time of year. Are you saying your mineral has enough of a salt limiter to where this doesn't happen with your cattle? Thanks.

Be careful, if the cattle are craving salt it'll get expensive. Had a pasture last summer I couldn't keep in mineral. I always mixed a bag salt and a bag of mineral together and it'd only last a day. Happened again and again. I blamed the mineral for being too palatable but another farmer said maybe they just want salt. Thought he was wrong but I split the salt and mineral up. They ate a tub with 3 bags of salt in it in less than a week, then again. Maybe a bag of mineral. After that they slowed down. Salt is $10 a bag here, Mineral $35-40.

kilroy60 said:
It depends on the formulation. Some minerals are purposely formulated with NO salt to encourage the cattle to get their salt needs from straight salt rather than consuming mineral to meet their salt needs. Depending on the level of inclusion salt may encourage consumption OR limit it.

TexasBred said:
kilroy60 said:
It depends on the formulation. Some minerals are purposely formulated with NO salt to encourage the cattle to get their salt needs from straight salt rather than consuming mineral to meet their salt needs. Depending on the level of inclusion salt may encourage consumption OR limit it.
Good point - so best is always to read ingredient tag on the bag to be sure. I know Purina Wind & Rain loose mineral has salt added. The mineral tubs do not have salt added and if you use these then salt is needed. I'm a firm believer in the Purina R&W. I'm sure there are other good minerals available. I would just not go cheap on this part of the business.

kilroy60 said:
TexasBred said:
kilroy60 said:
Good point - so best is always to read ingredient tag on the bag to be sure. I know Purina Wind & Rain loose mineral has salt added. The mineral tubs do not have salt added and if you use these then salt is needed. I'm a firm believer in the Purina R&W. I'm sure there are other good minerals available. I would just not go cheap on this part of the business.

My personal preference is Purina's Wind and Rain® All Season Minerals 7 CP AV4

TexasBred said:
kilroy60 said:
TexasBred said:

My personal preference is Purina's Wind and Rain® All Season Minerals 7 CP AV4
Our preference is Purina's Wind and Rain Hi-Mag. Keep it out all year.

JMJ Farms said:
snoopdog said:
That's a good article, thanks. Mineral supplementation is a high cost for us, be interesting to know if they can check levels through a blood preg check sample.

I'd be interested in knowing the best/easiest/cheapest (probably no such thing as all three in one) way to test for mineral deficiency as well, and have a mineral custom mixed to meet my cows needs. Good chance it would be very enlightening.

Using this link can give you a very general idea of what mineral levels are like in your area. It's free so I would say it's the cheapest way :D. Not all mineral antagonists are measured though so even if it shows there is enough of mineral X something not measured (like molybdenum) might be tying it up, causing a deficiency. Liver tests are the only way to know for sure so it's the best, but you need to test 5-10% of the heard so it can get really expensive. But you'll get really good data back showing what you are over supplementing & what Is close to deficit. If a guy is dead set on getting the best deal possible you could develop your own mineral & bid it out to feed companies.

Click on any of the maps then your state & your county. It will give you levels for each tested mineral in your county.

https://mrdata.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/countydata.htm

Latest posts