bloat prevention

Help Support CattleToday:

captain7781

Reaction score
I am running short on pasture and have a few acres of high percentage alsike clover that is available. How long per day can I graze them without causing bloat and how quickly can I increase the time exposed to the clover. In other words, if I open the gate for an hour today, two hours tomorrow, 4 the next day, etc. will I be able to accustom the cattle to the clover?

not from my experience. if you are planning on turning them out at about the same time each day. they will learn quickly to be hungry at turnout time. about the third or fourth day will probably be about the time you see bloating. I am not familiar with alsike clover but white and red clover are the worst forage for bloating. can you cut and bale? I have also feed hay before turnout which seemed to help. have heard that preventing them from drinking water for an hour or so after taking them out also helps prevent bloat. the best way that worked for me is to give them hay, I have tried other options but the best way to prevent bloat is to not turn them out. good luck