Bloat, and could it be from to much protein?

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
We've been grinding feed for a few years and this is the first time we've had bloat. I used good hay and added one extra bag of 60% protein mineral to our normal mix of ear corn. We new we had a problem yesterday and called our vet for advice. He said see what they look like today and if their not better he'll come out and treat them. Well most of them are good but a few are still bloated but better today than yesterday. Just wondering if we need to do something or just wait and see. We didn't feed today except for free choice hay. I haven't sent a feed sample off to get tested in 3 years, but we are now. Can to much protein cause bloat? And how much is to much? I figure the boss hogs get about 5lbs. of feed a day. Sorry for writing a book, just looking for answers.

Yep, too much can and will cause problems. Neighbor had a fresh cow that wouldn't leave a protein tub alone. She blew up like a tick.
You can add some baking soda to some low protein feed and make them eat it. It'll asbsorb some of the gas and reduce the acidosis. That should bring them back to normal pretty quick.

highgrit":3t5mc98g said:
We've been grinding feed for a few years and this is the first time we've had bloat. I used good hay and added one extra bag of 60% protein mineral to our normal mix of ear corn. We new we had a problem yesterday and called our vet for advice. He said see what they look like today and if their not better he'll come out and treat them. Well most of them are good but a few are still bloated but better today than yesterday. Just wondering if we need to do something or just wait and see. We didn't feed today except for free choice hay. I haven't sent a feed sample off to get tested in 3 years, but we are now. Can to much protein cause bloat? And how much is to much? I figure the boss hogs get about 5lbs. of feed a day. Sorry for writing a book, just looking for answers.
I have never heard of nor seen a 60% crude protein mineral. What exactly is it and where do you get it??? Something that high in protein must contain a substantial amt of urea. You may have "almost" poisoned your cattle with an overload of urea. Bloat is often one of the symptoms.

Here's the tag on the bag TB. They have got better today. Do I need to call the vet and have him come out? I probably have 40 head to treat, and the other half and calves look alright.

highgrit":376ybdkv said:

on the mill you added the extra bag to I would probably unload half of it and then mix some filler back in to lower protein in that batch.

don't the make a bloat block ??

highgrit":27obgtxr said:

Here's the tag on the bag TB. They have got better today. Do I need to call the vet and have him come out? I probably have 40 head to treat, and the other half and calves look alright.

that's the company that makes the mineral I buy. Good stuff

HG did you have to pierce them with a needle to let any of the air out or are they getting completely better on there own?

Labels says 57% npn ( urea)
Holy **** never seen that before
Guess your lucky you didn't kill any of them

There getting better on their own Sky. It just puzzles me that they started bloating yesterday. I've been feeding off the same grinding for 2 weeks. During this last cold weather spell we fed our best hay and gave them a little extra feed. I guess it all added up to more than the cows could handle.
Sunfish, I hope we're that lucky. I guess we'll see tomorrow. All the cows are acting normal
and eating hay and drinking water.

That one you pictured I gotta tell you I may put that one in a corral close to home and constantly watch her and her calf.

Sky, she looks good now. My vet said if their not acting sick and getting better just let them be.
But I'm still worried.

highgrit":9pfuqytl said:
Sky, she looks good now. My vet said if their not acting sick and getting better just let them be.
But I'm still worried.

I would be worried too. I wish you the best.

Don't know what it cost but I would find something else. That hardly has enough minerals and vitamins in it to even be labeled a mineral especially once it's mixed with 1900 lbs. of other ingredients AND....anything with that much urea can wipe you out if not used properly.

I've noticed the order buyers dock the feeders and slaughter cows pretty good for what looks like a little bloat or "belly" on them . Always wondered why , can anyone explain this to me ? thx

Once a bloater always a bloater. Feeders that bloat all the time are a pain in the rear, lot of gain, and money loss.

sim.-ang.king":33y1tnjy said:
Once a bloater always a bloater. Feeders that bloat all the time are a pain in the rear, lot of gain, and money loss.
Yes a big loss of money. I will not make a bid on a bloated one. I have worked with them for weeks and then one day they bloat and im not there and they die.

BobbyLummus1":2l5rtmpq said:
I've noticed the order buyers dock the feeders and slaughter cows pretty good for what looks like a little bloat or "belly" on them . Always wondered why , can anyone explain this to me ? thx
Belly to mean means low down on the animal. Bloat is high upand on the left side mostly. Belly is just wasteful but bloat can be deadly.

Latest posts