Blaze Face Simm Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Holsteins, the other black cow. Surprising that the black hair thing has caught on as well as it has, considering the millions of holsteins that are dropping bull calves every year. If the black hair is coming from holstein influence, that is not going to do anything for birth weight, that's for sure.

Andyva":yypngam3 said:
Holsteins, the other black cow. Surprising that the black hair thing has caught on as well as it has, considering the millions of holsteins that are dropping bull calves every year. If the black hair is coming from holstein influence, that is not going to do anything for birth weight, that's for sure.
That's true. I know that it's hard as heck to wash out the chrome from a sim. You'd just add to it with a Holstein.

You just like to hear yourself talk...(post) You have someone just a handful of posts ago explaining how they got black sims from a holstein, with no angus, then you come yapping about how that wouldn't work.

Charolais are known for large birth weights, yet there are some that spit out tiny white calves! How the heck can that be!!! Oh wait, if you spent time actually breeding cattle instead of just giving them pet names, you can work wonders over time.

Here's one... from 10ys ago during the drought of '07... a 3/4 SM 1/4 HO cow; mostly Fleckvieh on the SM side of the equation. No Angus in the mix. Still have one of her daughters(by an Angus bull) - and several granddaughters - in the herd

Lucky_P":1xwl52dz said:

Here's one... from 10ys ago during the drought of '07... a 3/4 SM 1/4 HO cow; mostly Fleckvieh on the SM side of the equation. No Angus in the mix. Still have one of her daughters(by an Angus bull) - and several granddaughters - in the herd
I have a handful of cows like this. Will be approximately 75% angus 25% flec sim though now. But, love when I get them. My fave. I have one I named Rachael Dratch.. I have no idea why I call her that still other than when she was a calf she had this funny look on her face and I called her Rachael Dratch and it stuck.. Our original bulls in the 80s were the big lanky rough sims. Was a fad thing I know, but I have no regrets in getting into them. When my daughters started showing them in the 90s, you'd better have a solid color or the judges wouldn't take a second look at them. There weren't any blacks until the late 90s when my daughters were getting out of showing sims, the last to show reg got into angus... I have no idea where they are now, other than the ones I've seen. Seems most people like them to have a white face now so I guess they are gluing that back on. The solid blacks I've seen look either like a angus, brangus, limo... and these are just the ones I've seen around here people are buying. The brangus is another shocker, just an angus now. What made a brangus and brangus, the extra leather and ear.. Take it off, shorten them, and what do you have???

cowgirl8":1s5n6qw4 said:
Lucky_P":1s5n6qw4 said:

I have a handful of cows like this. Will be approximately 75% angus 25% flec sim though now. But, love when I get them. My fave. I have one I named Rachael Dratch.. I have no idea why I call her that still other than when she was a calf she had this funny look on her face and I called her Rachael Dratch and it stuck.. Our original bulls in the 80s were the big lanky rough sims. Was a fad thing I know, but I have no regrets in getting into them. When my daughters started showing them in the 90s, you'd better have a solid color or the judges wouldn't take a second look at them. There weren't any blacks until the late 90s when my daughters were getting out of showing sims, the last to show reg got into angus... I have no idea where they are now, other than the ones I've seen. Seems most people like them to have a white face now so I guess they are gluing that back on. The solid blacks I've seen look either like a angus, brangus, limo... and these are just the ones I've seen around here people are buying. The brangus is another shocker, just an angus now. What made a brangus and brangus, the extra leather and ear.. Take it off, shorten them, and what do you have???

Surly you can't be serious. If you take the Brahma out of the equation your left with Angus.

M-5":dunoebfv said:
cowgirl8":dunoebfv said:
Lucky_P":dunoebfv said:

Surly you can't be serious. If you take the Brahma out of the equation your left with Angus.
And you just answered my question....

Ol' 243":26l7hmey said:
What is this Angus cow you speak of? Is that kinda likd a Simmental?
I know you think you're being funny, but you just come off as a little punk standing behind his even punkier friends. Sad sad sad....

cowgirl8":1igp7m0q said:
M-5":1igp7m0q said:
Have you not seen the new improved brangus? No ear, no leather....

cowgirl8":qlmx1as2 said:
M-5":qlmx1as2 said:
cowgirl8":qlmx1as2 said:

Do you not know thst bos indicus and bos Taurus are different?

M-5":2t98dstu said:
cowgirl8":2t98dstu said:
M-5":2t98dstu said:
Not understanding how your question pertains to brangus looking like angus now....

cowgirl8":35r81odh said:
Ol' 243":35r81odh said:
What is this Angus cow you speak of? Is that kinda likd a Simmental?
I know you think you're being funny, but you just come off as a little punk standing behind his even punkier friends. Sad sad sad....

I wasn't talking to you_____, grown ups are talking here, mind your own business.

cowgirl8":1r3rjwwr said:
M-5":1r3rjwwr said:
cowgirl8":1r3rjwwr said:
Not understanding how your question pertains to brangus looking like angus now....
They don't , maybe you should explore your horizons , the brimer pimps will be here shortly to correct you.

ClinchValley":2vqjzmpy said:
He is going to hit the trailer next week. I'd have to say, i'm slowly figuring out what a good animal is built like. This little feller is certainly pinched up. Went to take a picture, then decided no need.

Thanks for the lesson folks.
Clinch, if you have Limi cross cows, I think Angus is a good way to go. We have always had really good luck making those Lim-Flex calves. Just look for a bull that makes up for the Limi weaknesses, in my eyes this would be a general lack of marbling ability and often more framey, rangey cows that need to be cleaned up and moderated in FS a bit. :2cents:

M-5":26e6sgjo said:
They don't , maybe you should explore your horizons , the brimer pimps will be here shortly to correct you.

M-5 that's a hopeless endeavor. No comprehension there. Just leave it confused.

The poster stated the cow AND the bull are Simmental. Black hide in no way makes them mostly Angus. I totally agree with, IGNORE CG8. What an uneducated statement.
If the sire was red, and the cow is black, this bull calf is heterozygous black. Meaning he is carrying 1 black gene and 1 red gene. No percentages - just 1 red & 1 blk gene.
I personally thought at 6 months he looks pretty darn good. Yeah, I would like to see a little more middle to him, but he shows great length & appears to have good muscling.
Yes, you will get heterosis. Yes, crossing british breeds with continental breeds give you MORE heterosis then when you cross two from the same group of breeds.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1o7j1q8w said:
I personally thought at 6 months he looks pretty darn good. Yeah, I would like to see a little more middle to him, but he shows great length & appears to have good muscling.
Hey! There's a little encouragement. He needed that. :)
At first, i really thought he may end up looking good. Now I am hung up on the midsection. I MAY let him skip the trailer this week. Throw him up and give some feed. See what he does.

Might get another picture, hopefully better Q.

Latest posts