Blaze Face Simm Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley":r6myzij1 said:
I knew better than to ask black Simm questions.

Not a big deal. Everyone has a right to an opinion even if it is not well supported.

The important point is that Simmentals are still genetically Simmentals. Yes, traits have been modified by selective breeding like color, calving ease and size.

ClinchValley":22sdcsry said:
I like black sims, I just believe they should be called something else. I have hundreds of sim/angus...
You want to start something, say you like polled black Herefords....lol

Bright Raven":2eg0mgyv said:
ClinchValley":2eg0mgyv said:

Not a big deal. Everyone has a right to an opinion even if it is not well supported.

The important point is that Simmentals are still genetically Simmentals. Yes, traits have been modified by selective breeding like color, calving ease and size.

Where ya been BR? Finally the other 50% of the knowledge on this board showed up. You need to get in every thread earlier, that way we don't gotta learn everything from a chick.

Ol' 243":3m0yakcq said:
Bright Raven":3m0yakcq said:
ClinchValley":3m0yakcq said:

Where ya been BR? Finally the other 50% of the knowledge on this board showed up. You need to get in every thread earlier, that way we don't gotta learn everything from a chick.

I was. I posted the first response. It got side tracked after that.

Bright Raven":1f15pbqa said:
Ol' 243":1f15pbqa said:
Bright Raven":1f15pbqa said:

Sorry, I musta skipped right over it. :lol:

Ol' 243":14j90fs7 said:
Bright Raven":14j90fs7 said:
Ol' 243":14j90fs7 said:

Sorry, I musta skipped right over it. :lol:

Don't do that. I put a lot of effort into this forum. :cboy:

Today's sims aren't Angus. Angus don't normally throw giant calves, red, horns, and chrome. They might look the same, but that has nothing to do with the fact that they used Angus to add black hair, but that is the only thing that changed because of Angus genetics. Everything else is just a random mutation that has been selected for to make them look like Angus.

cowgirl8":12mjfot6 said:
ClinchValley":12mjfot6 said:
I like black sims, I just believe they should be called something else. I have hundreds of sim/angus...

LOL lady, you change directions faster than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs!

Gators Rule":2c0jbc4o said:
cowgirl8":2c0jbc4o said:
ClinchValley":2c0jbc4o said:

LOL lady, you change directions faster than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs!
Never ever said I did not like todays black sims, said they aren't sims.. They should be called something else.

He is going to hit the trailer next week. I'd have to say, i'm slowly figuring out what a good animal is built like. This little feller is certainly pinched up. Went to take a picture, then decided no need.

Thanks for the lesson folks.

Everybody keeps pointing at Angus as the source of black hide... but y'all are disregarding all the other black cows that might be way back behind animals in a breed that allows 'breeding up', with an open herdbook.
My first 'black' Simmental crosses - bred back in the late 80s - got their black haircoat from Holsteins and a little black Jersey-cross cow. For decades, I had black SM-influenced cattle with little to no Angus anywhere back in their ancestry.
There was a large dairy in the county where I practiced that was owned by a Simmental breeders corporation that was using the HO cows as recips and running SM bulls for cleanup... quite a few black SMxHO calves came out of that deal, and probably made their way into the SM herdbook as halfbloods...with no Angus in the equation

Black Simmentals are Simmentals, not Angus.
Cg8, I can show you photos of 100% fullblood Fleckvieh Simmentals that are solid red...not a speck of white. You can get there with selective breeding. Just like the SM breeders have addressed CED, BW, frame score, etc. ... selecting for it in making one's breeding choices.

Lucky_P":21eemxep said:
Everybody keeps pointing at Angus as the source of black hide... but y'all are disregarding all the other black cows that might be way back behind animals in a breed that allows 'breeding up', with an open herdbook.
My first 'black' Simmental crosses - bred back in the late 80s - got their black haircoat from Holsteins and a little black Jersey-cross cow. For decades, I had black SM-influenced cattle with little to no Angus anywhere back in their ancestry.
There was a large dairy in the county where I practiced that was owned by a Simmental breeders corporation that was using the HO cows as recips and running SM bulls for cleanup... quite a few black SMxHO calves came out of that deal, and probably made their way into the SM herdbook as halfbloods...with no Angus in the equation

Black Simmentals are Simmentals, not Angus.
Cg8, I can show you photos of 100% fullblood Fleckvieh Simmentals that are solid red...not a speck of white. You can get there with selective breeding. Just like the SM breeders have addressed CED, BW, frame score, etc. ... selecting for it in making one's breeding choices.

Exactly! Selective breeding is a powerful tool.

Lucky: The other issue. There was a post, I thought it was one you posted, that referenced DNA "fingerprinting" of beef breeds. The comment was made that DNA testing demonstrated that Simmental retain essentially all of their old line genome. Do you know a reference for that?

It is hard to tell how much other breeds can influence a resulting animal.

We have several members that have bred up to purebred (87.5%) Montbeliarde. The Montbeliarde breed from France (which is related to the Simmental Breed, but is bred today for milk production), has several bulls that have a small percentage of Holstein genetics. France with the largest population of the breed, has the largest data-bank of genomic testing information, (which they won't share). The Montbeliarde is a Red White Faced breed and most of the Holsteins that were used to breed up from in the US were Black and White. What France has told us that they have found with genomics, is that if a Montbeliarde animal has Black hair that it possesses more traits coming from the Holstein breed. We do have some members with animals that are the 87.5% or more Montbeliarde that are still Black White Faced.

With this information, and the Simmental being for the most part a Red White Faced animal, when crossed with the Angus, for the black hair color, and breeding those that are black back up to purebred, would some of this same influence be taking place?

Also, we register US born Black Charolais. These animals are 32/32 % Charolais. It has to do with the the "red" gene and color of some Charolais and how they are bred and crossed. The Black Charolais is not eligible to be registered with the American Charolais Association.