Blast away

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch said:
How do you interpret dna if not plugged in?
I believe it's an effort to increase accuracy.
They identify the number of markers for each trait that is tested for so it shouldn't be that hard to do. Igenity will do just a straight dna profile with a ranking of traits from 1 to 10 for 29.00.

dbirdsong said:

Here he is with mom. He's about 150 days old.
He almost looks like a different calf than his first picture.

I was also going to say I thought the 2nd calf stood with his rear legs too far behind him...
but decided I'm going to quit while I'm behind. :)

Yeah my son told me that if I was going to put pictures of our calves on CT, I need to learn how to take a good picture. I certainly don't do them any favors with my photography skills.

Will be interesting to see how the $M numbers come out on your bulls. They look good. Middle of the road EPDs are a good place to be for a sire to make daughters that work in real conditions. You can use the next generation to go up on whatever EPDs you want to increase but it costs cow productivity and farm economics for a generation if you need to go down.

Son of Butch said:
dbirdsong said:

One of these guys might be replacing him soon.
Judging a young bull from a picture is always risky.
IMO
This one is definitely going to sire more stature than your current bull.
He appears to me to be calving ease, marbling, more milk with nice chest extension.
Other photo is harder to judge.

Care to share info on the two?

sob, i may be missing something here, but how can you tell from this picture or even in person looking at a young bull if he is going to be calving ease, marbling, and more milk?

ccr said:
Son of Butch said:
dbirdsong said:

One of these guys might be replacing him soon.
Judging a young bull from a picture is always risky.
IMO
This one is definitely going to sire more stature than your current bull.
He appears to me to be calving ease, marbling, more milk with nice chest extension.

Care to share info on the two?

sob, i may be missing something here, but how can you tell from this picture or even in person looking at a young bull if he is going to be calving ease, marbling, and more milk?
A long neck is a milk trait as in good dairy cows having long dairy necks.
Marbling is antagonistic to heavy muscling. It's a nice way of saying I think he lacks width.
I admit I was proven wrong about his width, in his other photo he looks nice and stout.

dbirdsong said:

Critique this bull. He is a three year old son of Harvester out of a Density cow. He had solid epds until I did DNA test and they plummeted. His calves are holding their own but the main reason I bought him was because I wanted some replacement females out of him.

Well my bull injured himself and had to take a ride to town but I do have a son that is a prospect to replace him. Pick him apart because I'm on the fence.

I would have no problem using him. We have a Harvestor son right now who is about 17 months old, liking him more each day. We will use him on some cows this fall.

Harvestor daughters are real nice, would like to have more.

You have a good bull.

Not the best angle to analyze, but he sure has great rear quarter muscling that carries down deep in the rear leg and appears to also have a great top line. He looks real good from this picture.
How old is he?

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Not the best angle to analyze, but he sure has great rear quarter muscling that carries down deep in the rear leg and appears to also have a great top line. He looks real good from this picture.
How old is he?

He is 3 months old in the picture.

dbirdsong said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
How old is he?

He is 3 months old in the picture.

Give him a year to make a decision. You've got cattle, you know today you see one and you think, he looks amazing, two weeks later another appears to be surpassing him and then a month later you're back to the first one. And at three months you cant really see all of the flaws he will develop nor the strengths, he could fall apart from weaning to his yearling. I had a bull one time weigh off at 790lbs, no creep, didn't even crack 1000 at his yearly, with feed stuffed into him. Thankfully my vet leased him, but I was incredibly disappointed.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
************* said:
Here is Harvestor of Branded born 3-22-2018

[image]368[/image]

Little large in the rump for my taste. Do you have any better angles of him?

You are joking right? All I have ever read on CT is how puny the rear ends are on Angus bulls.

I post this guy and you say he has a big fat a....?

Of course I have more angles, will get them to you shortly.

************* said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
************* said:
Here is Harvestor of Branded born 3-22-2018

[image]368[/image]

You are joking right? All I have ever read on CT is how puny the rear ends are on Angus bulls.

I need bulls that are quick on their feet and not carrying too much "condition" in order to cover the ground I need them to cover. I like them nimble.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
************* said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

I need bulls that are quick on their feet and not carrying too much "condition" in order to cover the ground I need them to cover. I like them nimble.

That's muscle TT, you need it to cover ground, and more importantly cows and heifers.

Will post video of him walking tomorrow.

Latest posts