Blast from the past

Help Support CattleToday:

glacierridge

Reaction score
Our AI rep has hooked us up with some "old" semen, from Irish Black Knight and Caufitime, anyone have experience with them?
The oldest of the Caufi calves are reaching breeding/butchering age and we are pleased with how easy they are to handle, almost too friendly, and they have also grown at a super rate.
Our IBK calves are much younger, we have 3 under a month old and several still in the oven.
I was very excited to use some of this "old" stuff as their MCE scores look really impressive and we plan to use Belgian Blue on the females from these bulls.

Just wondering if anyone remembers anything about these bulls and their progeny.
Hoping my dreams don't get dashed. ;)

These are "ancient" bulls!!! Yes, I remember them - never used them. They were popular bulls in their time. Should give you scale buster calves! If I remember correctly, Caufitime carries spotting gene & diluter gene. Unless you have cattle with spots, they won't show up on his offspring (need spotting gene from both parents to be expressed in offspring).

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1d3wlsu0 said:
These are "ancient" bulls!!! Yes, I remember them - never used them. They were popular bulls in their time. Should give you scale buster calves! If I remember correctly, Caufitime carries spotting gene & diluter gene. Unless you have cattle with spots, they won't show up on his offspring (need spotting gene from both parents to be expressed in offspring).

Scale busters should fit right in with the other mommas in the herd!! LOL
We have an adorable yearling heifer from Caufitime, the pic isn't the best, it's off my phone and a bit blurry.
Her name is Xena, she's living up to her name and she's quite charming with her one black eye. :)
IMAG0730-1.jpg

She looks like the old bull. Never used Caufitime, but did use a couple other Single Nick Doubletime sons back in the late '80s.
Perhaps the very best cow I ever owned - and she produced until she was 18 - was a Generation III daughter out of a grade Angus cow. I'd use him again, if it weren't for the color dilution factor.
Some of those old bulls still have something to offer.

Lucky_P":gti0tj1w said:
She looks like the old bull. Never used Caufitime, but did use a couple other Single Nick Doubletime sons back in the late '80s.
Perhaps the very best cow I ever owned - and she produced until she was 18 - was a Generation III daughter out of a grade Angus cow. I'd use him again, if it weren't for the color dilution factor.
Some of those old bulls still have something to offer.

She has legs that look like they are going to last, she could EASILY be a 12 year cow if nothing tragic happens.
We don't mind any color as long as the calves perform.
Hoping both these old bulls have a lot to offer, so far in their younger stages we are quite pleased with the calves.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":z3nxbx4r said:
GR - I forgot to mention in the PM, that your cows looked really good.
This "yearling" looks pretty young - late summer heifer?

Thank you. We want them to be easy on the eyes.
Yeah, its an old pic, sorry, shes 4-5 months in that pic.
I said yearling cause I must have been thinking about her currently, it's actually her 1 year bday today, haha. :)
Wish I had a more recent pic to share with you.