Blast away

Help Support CattleToday:

dbirdsong

Reaction score

Critique this bull. He is a three year old son of Harvester out of a Density cow. He had solid epds until I did DNA test and they plummeted. His calves are holding their own but the main reason I bought him was because I wanted some replacement females out of him.

dbirdsong said:

Critique this bull. He is a three year old son of Harvester out of a Density cow. He had solid epds until I did DNA test and they plummeted. His calves are holding their own but the main reason I bought him was because I wanted some replacement females out of him.
Can you post his EPD's, before and after would be good so we can see what is concerning you. I do believe in EPD's but I don't stress over them, the actual performance of their calves is what I take note of.

Ken

Looks good to me me he has length and volume. That's what frustrates me about EPD's although usually ours haven't changed much after DNA. I can think back to a couple very noticeable changes though.
I have heard some very good things about daughters of Density. I personally have seen a pattern of disposition issues from calves by the sire of Density, 004 that I don't like. Hopefully that will be far enough down the line from your calves that it won't be an issue.

I don't remember them before DNA except the WW was in the high 50s and YW was a little over 100. I'll post a picture of his pedigree also.

Based on his calves performance I'm thinking he's more like breed average for growth. The best heifer I kept last year was one of his daughters. I still am not a believer in genomics yet. My two lightest calves this year have my best genomics test.

Whenever I send any away for genomics I always print out their current numbers to compare after genomics. He does seem to have suffered a hit based on what you have said from WW and YW. I have read of other SAV bulls EPD's falling after genomics. I believe that since SAV don't do genomics their EPD's have drifted away from what the genomics say. I would think in that case the original EPD's would be a result of actual recording of data so would have faith in the original EPD's.

Ken

dbirdsong said:

One of these guys might be replacing him soon.
Judging a young bull from a picture is always risky.
IMO
This one is definitely going to sire more stature than your current bull.
He appears to me to be calving ease, marbling, more milk with nice chest extension.
Other photo is harder to judge.

Care to share info on the two?

It's hard to say from pictures but I think I like your current bull better than the calves. Your bull looks to be really good from what I can tell.

Son of Butch said:
dbirdsong said:

One of these guys might be replacing him soon.
Judging a young bull from a picture is always risky.
IMO
This one is definitely going to sire more stature than your current bull.
He appears to me to be calving ease, marbling, more milk with nice chest extension.
Other photo is harder to judge.

Care to share info on the two?

He is one I really like.

Latest posts